Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Introduce Yourself / Hello! Would Like to Meet Everyone
« Last post by Trish53 on Today at 07:18:42 AM »
Hi, I'm Trish,
My interests are many, however I have always had an appreciation for handmade, or reuse of all items.  I learned to be crafty at a very young age, out of necessity, and have developed my craft from there.  My true passion is knitting or crocheting, however, I also enjoy sewing as well. 
When you are a crafter you are always busy with a project, however at some point you run out of people to gift your crafts to, and as we age, there are fewer babies in your life to knit or crochet for, so I decided to introduce myself to the world of crafting to see if others would be interested in my products. Whenever I have a special occasion I always prefer handmade gifts over the store purchases, and I am sure there are many more like me out there.  So, please enjoy my store front, feel free to ask questions, or just send me a message to get acquainted we can always gain from a new friend.  I am very excited to be a part of this new group of crafters, and look forward to getting to know some of you. 

Trish53
General Discussion / Re: Vegetarian or Vegan / Products
« Last post by Larissa on September 20, 2017, 03:36:06 PM »

So I'm the one who is rude??? Ever hear of the saying, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all??!

Yes, I've seen Bambi.  I'm also an adult and can make my own decisions regarding what I choose to say and to whom I choose to say it.  Thumper's father doesn't dictate my personal rules.

What I said in my initial response was not anything other than nice.  And calling out rudeness may not be "nice" but it's certainly legitimate, and certainly not mean or nasty.  It's not like I said, "vegans are idiots," after all.

And yes, you were rude.  You posted a query to an internet forum with members from all walks.  I am one of those members, and have been for a long time.  I'm also one of the most active members, and most likely to comment.  Welcome to HAF.

I took the time and effort to respond to said query that you posted.  I did so because the subject interests me, and because I like to engage in conversation about it and give my perspective.  I chose to engage in the conversation with you, and posted a rather long, very thought out, and fairly articulate, if I do say so myself, comment.

Rather than acknowledging even the mere existence of my comment, rather than addressing me, rather than addressing the substance of ANYTHING I said, you posted a link to a video.  Yes, that's rude.  Your post doesn't even indicate whether it was a response to me, or something for general consumption that you intended to post no matter what.  Assuming for a second that it was meant, even slightly, as a response to what I'd said, what you did, rather than addressing one single, solitary issue I raise, is expect me to subject myself to 36+ minutes (taking even MORE of MY time, when you've spent NONE of YOURS) of what appeared to be various activists yelling propaganda at a rally (I couldn't hear it, as I can't listen to videos at the office and wouldn't take the time out of my evenings with my husband to subject either of us to such things for any length of time).  So what you said there is that your time is more valuable than mine.  That my actual points aren't worth responding to.  That you'll respond with something that's likely completely off-point from anything I said.  Yes, that's rude.

I just joined this site and had asked in my post if there were any other vegetarians or vegans here and wanted feedback on how others liked several products - your reply was all argument and obviously not in favor or support of what l was asking.

And yes I solicited opinions - from those who have actually TRIED the products - not from those who are going to JUDGE a book by its cover.

My reply was making points that I wanted to make, yes.  And I would have welcomed discussion, debate, even dispute.  I'm Larissa, and I don't sugarcoat, I don't "yes" anyone, and I will speak when I choose.  Nice to meet you.  And welcome to the internet, where anyone can comment on what you say, and you don't get to just hear validation of your views.  Personally, I'm secure enough to welcome opposing viewpoints.  I treat others with the same respect and assume they're just as secure in themselves and their views.

From what I can see, we will never agree on anything in this thread or related to these topics.

I find it sad that you're that closeminded, that you refuse to accept information from knowledgeable sources, and that you won't even discuss things.  I also find it sad that you apparently refuse to recognize that I actually said that I understand and respect vegetarians.  It's vegans with whom I take issue, because, in my experience, and I've known many (though, like Sandi, I've known a lot of new vegans and a lot of former vegans, no long-term vegans), they tend to be militant, unreasonable, nasty, and not see the forest for the trees.  They also tend to believe PETA's lies, even in the face of actual information from people with actual experience, which is of course quite frustrating to the people with the actual experience.

You may want to be "yes"ed to death.  I won't provide that, and I will keep commenting if and when I choose.  If you choose not to respond, well, know that, yes, you're being rude.
General Discussion / Re: What are you doing today?
« Last post by iKnitQuiltSew on September 20, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »
LOL, Larissa!
« Last post by Larissa on September 20, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
I don't understand how humans can treat other humans like that.

Love those furpets so much!  And yeah, the middle of the country does love their football!  Even when they haven't got a pro team, like Nebraska.

Went to a networking dinner thing last night, and met a slew of great women, tonight is the Environmental Commission, tomorrow night is yoga, and Friday night I'm going to a paint night with friends to raise money for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.

Because if I wasn't busy enough...
« Last post by chainmaille on September 20, 2017, 05:00:08 AM »
Let's keep it civil, we are all adults here. It is like the old saying, lets not talk about politics and religion, someone will get offended. Regardless, everyone has there own opinion on this matter. I've had many conversations from both sides of the street, that is why I stay in the middle on this.
« Last post by iKnitQuiltSew on September 19, 2017, 05:43:15 PM »
Thanks, Narrina!
Handmade Artists' Shop (HAFshop) / Compassion Accents - Get 10% Off Any Item
« Last post by sac875 on September 19, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »

10% off any item when you use this code ---- DISC1
Feel free to browse around and if you like something use this code to $ave 8)

https://handmadeartists.com/shop/sac875
« Last post by sac875 on September 19, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »

So I'm the one who is rude??? Ever hear of the saying, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all??!

I just joined this site and had asked in my post if there were any other vegetarians or vegans here and wanted feedback on how others liked several products - your reply was all argument and obviously not in favor or support of what l was asking.

And yes I solicited opinions - from those who have actually TRIED the products - not from those who are going to JUDGE a book by its cover.

From what I can see, we will never agree on anything in this thread or related to these topics.
« Last post by Nárrína on September 19, 2017, 05:06:40 PM »
Wow, that was rotten of them :( !

Cute FurPets! I hope they do well!
« Last post by Larissa on September 19, 2017, 11:13:46 AM »
Me too.  Except chocolate cake.  Chocolate cake is tough for me to moderate.   ;D

I've recently discovered exotic meats, though, which are REALLY helping with my Weight Watchers points!  It's amazing how much leaner exotic and wild meats are.  For example, chicken and lean pork (obviously not bacon - 3 strips of bacon = 5 points) are generally 1 point to 1 oz.  Beef is a crazy amount of points to an ounce, so it's tough to eat beef on WW without sacrificing a lot of other food.  But *other* red meats - venison, bison, yak, kangaroo, ostrich, which are, by the way, DELICIOUS - are WAY lower in points.  Like 5 oz is just 3 points.  I feel like I've been feasting! 

We knew about this ostrich farm up in Sussex County; you can't miss it - when you drive by, there are just ostriches everywhere, hanging out in the fields doing their thing - and it turns out that farm, which also has some bison and hogs, has a farm store 17 minutes from my house.  The ostrich, yak, bison, and pork are from that farm, the venison is fairly locally hunted, and the kangaroo is the only thing really imported, obviously from Australia. 

It's really restrictive, too.  They can ONLY hunt adult males (I'm presuming because the females care for their young, and they don't want to leave orphans), and they have to be taken with a single shot to the head.

We actually were researching the idea of getting ostriches for our farm once we've got it, but I'm not sure.  They can be really dangerous - they're quick, and a kick from an ostrich is more dangerous than a kick from a horse, so if one decides to rush you, you need to be able to get over or under the fence FAST.  So we'll see.  We have a list of animals we definitely want, in part for the petting zoo, in part for fiber, in part for meat (and eggs).  Most of them are actually heritage breeds that are endangered or on the watch list (because they fell out of favor with farmers, so farmers stopped really bothering to breed them and they've nearly gone extinct), so we'll be helping to bring those breeds back, which is pretty awesome.  And it makes a great "theme" for our petting zoo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10