Author Topic: Help Finishing Off Jewelry Pieces  (Read 2876 times)

Offline jolenemacinjax

• Live for Today - No One is Promised Tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Southern Women Crafts
Help Finishing Off Jewelry Pieces
« on: January 30, 2014, 03:07:23 PM »
I hope someone can help me with how to finish off my jewelry pieces, specifically necklaces, bracelets, anklets and key chains. I like to work with wire because it is easier for me to handle but when I have completed my design I place a crimp bead on the end, smash it down and clip off the excess. Then I add a jump ring attached to the clasp or sometimes I put the clasp on the string and put the crimp bead on top of that and then smash it down and clip off the excess. But I just don't like the results.

Is there a step I am missing? Is there an easier way to finish off the piece?

Thanks in advance
Jolene
 :)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: Help Finishing Off Jewelry Pieces
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
What kind of wire? Are you using a craft type wire to make shapes or beading wire?

If it's beading wire,  slip the crimp bead on the end, run the wire through the loop on the clasp or jump ring if you're using one and then back through the crimp. Pull it snug with the wire but not too tight. Use crimping pliers to close the crimp if you have them. If not, you can just flatten the crimp with pliers, but don't trim it. You can hide the crimp with a crimp cover which is  a sort of bead that looks like Pac Man. Slip it over the crimp and close with pliers using even pressure to keep it straight. I attached a picture of one of my bracelets so you can see what it looks like when it's done. I also like the use wire guards.

Offline jolenemacinjax

• View Profile
    • Southern Women Crafts
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I will buy more crimp covers and give them try.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:12:30 PM »
You might also want to put "wire guards" on the wire above the crimp.  This helps the wire to last longer as the clasp/jump rings slide around.  You need to get a set of crimp pliers, these have two areas, one for doing the initial crimp (with an indentation between the wires) then a rounded area for folding the crimp over on the indentation.  They also make putting the crimp covers on easier, just put the cover in the rounded area and then after putting the crimp in the cover, gently close the cover.  You also can run the wire that you brought back through the crimp through several beads before cutting it off, then you don't have a spike sticking out of the crimp.
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »
I almost always use wire guards. I think they give the whole piece a much cleaner finish as well as protecting that wire from wear. I always leave enough beading wire at each end to run through at least 3 beads before clipping off the excess. And clip as close to a bead as you can.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »
You guys realize that to those of us that don't do much by way of beading, it is like listening to a different language!  I'm just going to slink back to my pile of rings until I figure out what all this is.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 06:04:42 PM »
I just read this and wanted to second the information that Teresa and John gave you.  Crimp pliers are a must if you use crimp beads a lot, it makes it so much easier and yes it closes the crimp cover much better.  I use both crimp pliers and regular pliers but I have been beading for a very long time. Also, the wire guards are a must for a beautiful finish and yes it really does protect the wire.  Nothing worse than the wire being worn to a frazzle and breaking on someone and losing the beads.

I hope that you enjoy the new look to your jewelry when you try these tips.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »
You guys realize that to those of us that don't do much by way of beading, it is like listening to a different language!  I'm just going to slink back to my pile of rings until I figure out what all this is.

Who are you kidding "slink back to your rings".  :police: Your work is incredible to say the least!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 06:00:06 PM »

Who are you kidding "slink back to your rings".  :police: Your work is incredible to say the least!

The sad part is I have a ton of beads and a pair of crimp pliers and covers etc....none of which has been used forever with the exception of making beaded ornaments a while back.  I really should just get rid of them, but I have a major issue with letting go of my craft stuff.

Offline jolenemacinjax

• View Profile
    • Southern Women Crafts
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »
Excellent suggestions I will look at the wire guides and crimp pliers. I think I have a pair but didn't know what to do with them. Oh, well it's back to YouTube for more instructional videos!

Thanks and have a great day.
 8)