Author Topic: Are you slow too?  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Roziespearls

• Newborn & Toddler Bracelets
    • View Profile
Are you slow too?
« on: November 16, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »
I was wondering about sales. I'm getting a little worried because I'm not getting any sales. My Etsy shop has 80 sales and HA only has 2. Seems like I should have more. maybe it's because people aren't shopping for Christmas yet. Don't really know. How are you all doing?
Tress

Offline tenthousandthreads

• captivated by beautiful threadwork
    • View Profile
Re: Are you slow too?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 08:20:29 PM »
Hi. I am thinking everything is slow and I wish I knew why. Even though I just started on HA, one of my items has had 300 views and I am puzzled as to why it hasn't sold. In comparison to Etsy views which are much smaller in number it does seem that that many viewers should produce some action. Went to a good holiday festival today and the crowd was mediocre.   :o Susan tenthousandthreads
Susan Blossom

praising the traditions that continue to allow us to use our hands as well as brains

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:37:40 PM »
Ok folks, you are comparing HA to EtSY, that is comparing apples with oranges.  These are two vastly different organizations.  ETSY has a large corporate office and thousands of sellers.  They allow commercial sellers (and have for some time), resellers and drop shippers.  HA has a few hundred vendors, two (total of two) administrators (husband and wife) who work other full time jobs.  I was on ETSY for three years and had NO sales.  I was on ARTFIRE for 4 years and had NO sales.  In my three years on HA I have had 10 recorded sales, and about 30 more that did not go through HA so are not recorded.  HA does many things to help promote our venue, only a very small number of our vendors participate.  We do not want to emulate the big corporate business model, or at least I hope not.  The more times our folk blog (and don't mention the other venues, that is counter-productive to us), tweet, FB post, Pinterest Post, etc.  the greater is the probability of HA being the venue to appear in the search engine.  We all need to help promote our venue.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 07:17:29 AM »
I think sales are slow everywhere, regardless the economy is struggling. The best bet is to hang in there, if it were easy everyone one do it.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »
I'm going to answer this from a different angle - my own recent experience:

I have had a bumpy year medically and have traveled quit a bit which left nearly no time to dedicate to my shop and in return sold very little at all during that time. I came back in full force in October, I've been binding books like mad, promoting on FB, twitter and anywhere else I could shamelessly plug my goods, since then I've gotten an order for 12 custom journals (she paid by check so it wasn't counted in my sales numbers - but who cares?!? ;) ), another custom order, and sold another 5 in-stock books - lesson here? Add new items regularly and promote the heck out of your shop - the proof is in the pudding.
Don't give up!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »
Hello to Everyone who has posted here. I have been wanting to ask how number of views compare to sales as I have had very different experiences on the other sales platforms. The discussion here is interesting. I do think things are slow all over (even the brick and mortar stores) but I don't really understand why. Christmas is still coming. Is there any relationship between number of items listed and sales?Susan-tenthousandthreads
Susan Blossom

praising the traditions that continue to allow us to use our hands as well as brains

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 01:03:06 PM »
And I am very excited today to see a post on ecommerce bytes about Handmade Artists shop! ;)
Susan Blossom

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 12:31:20 PM »
Andrea is right. I have NOT put in nearly as much time to my shop or product and it shows. I have no one to blame but me. That being said, things all over have been pretty slow. They are picking up though. I had record sales at my B&M store this past weekend. Too bad it's so inconsistent though. One of the reasons I will be closing.
Once I have all that behind me, I am going to re-focus on my shop. Fix what needs fixing, add new product, etc.

Offline Agathalatham

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 10:10:57 AM »
I just had like more than 100 views on my item and it is not even a day i just got a membership. I am having faith this has to boost in some way, i will do my part by posting as much as i can :)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »
I just had like more than 100 views on my item and it is not even a day i just got a membership. I am having faith this has to boost in some way, i will do my part by posting as much as i can :)

Your listings are tweeted like mad on our many accounts and then some are posted to places like Pinterest and Facebook as we are able to get to them.  Keep posting since I am a firm believer that the more "full" our site (within reason of course!) looks the better chance of customers sticking around and shopping.