Author Topic: Looks like Etsy is changing their tune again  (Read 7938 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Looks like Etsy is changing their tune again
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 10:05:09 AM »
I believe we'll get there too.

Thing is, what most vendors don't realize is that most *customers* have no idea what's happening with Etsy.  It needs to make the news so the customers are protected.

Offline Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »

Thing is, what most vendors don't realize is that most *customers* have no idea what's happening with Etsy.  It needs to make the news so the customers are protected.
Oh, it's made plenty of news.  It was all over the news right after they had their town hall meeting.  ABC, NBC, etc. all had stories about it as well as websites, etc. 

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 10:32:48 AM »
Well it's about time.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »
Have you watched the town hall meeting? Anne Hopfer posted a link on FB which I followed. I watched a good chunk of it.
Here's the link if you are so inclined. It will remain to be seen what happens in the new year.
http://www.etsy.com/townhall/2013/10/01

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 08:50:44 PM »
Today etsy has changed yet again.   Today it's  politics.  I personally feel that my political leanings are my business and when I am looking for  crafts I don't want to be bombarded  with politics.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 05:59:35 AM »
Andrew, I remember Etsy when it was a baby. I joined  Etsy in 2005 and opened my shop in July 2006, first sale was about 6 months.  As a new seller you could learn a lot through the forums…. Those where the  days! LOL  I noticed things changing and I could see shops opening that were not Handmade (ie candybeads) and thats when I set out to find a new place to sell my wears… And I came across HAF. Thank Goodness! It’s been a match made in heaven ever since! LOL

Good things will come to those who wait…. I and everyone here are in this for the long haul… Like a fine wine, better with age! LOL

So I say to you and Kimberly….

A job well done…. Oorah!

Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 07:57:17 AM »
I watched part of the town hall.....   Not  impressed....   Maybe it got  to be more  interesting toward the end.   One thing that struck me as odd was the  small crowd.   Just a handfull of people.   I don't know if this was the elite  crowd or if   it showed lack of interest.    It will be  interesting to see what happens.   I  used to tell everyone  about etsy....    It doesn't come up so often any more.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 08:24:23 AM »
The town hall was not all that interesting really. And I am sure that the audience was hand picked Etsy shop owners from Brooklyn and the surrounding area.

IMO, the more they try to make it better and more fir, the worse it gets. They are shutting out the very people who made them what they are (or at least supposed to be). I am always amazed at how many refuse to remove the blinders at really LOOK at stuff. See it everyday. Maybe it's why I have a headache.  ::)

Offline RebeccaB

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
 ???   I've seen no comments addressing this - but I'm of the opinion that manufacturers have been pressing (with $$$) Etsy for some time to let them in - I say this because one seller on Etsy decided to go with a manufacturer, and then that manufacturer popped up on her page with an advertisement.  The seller was very upset because they didn't want others to know where their things were being manufactured.  They didn't want to deal with further competition. 
I'm slowly leaving Etsy and coming over here.  The explanations Etsy has offered concerning their changes reminds me of the story of "The Emporer's New Clothes" regarding Ety's newfound definition and philosophy of what constitutes "handmade".  Bottom Line:  Handmade now equals mass manufactured goods.  We already live in a topsy-turvy world.  I want to be in a corner of it that still knows what common sense is - particularly with regard to handmade goods.

Offline Gaby

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »
I've been pretty out of the loop on what is going on over at Etsy these past few months. My husband got transfered from British Columbia, Canada to northern Kentucky. We've been busy moving, buying a house, moving in, etc, etc. I also haven't had any time to work on my business in any way. I have tried to pop into the forum here and over at Etsy to stay in the loop of the happenings and all. I just became aware of the changes over at Etsy and am really starting to wonder if they are a good fit for me at all. My shop sits empty because I haven't had time for it and now I am really not enthusiastic about getting going over there again. I'm even contemplating giving my shop address for here in my shop announcement over there. Even if that may get my shop shut down. Etsy just leaves me with a bad feeling. It's really quite sad that they have chosen the path they are on. Everyone who is here, whether it's your main shop or not, I wish you much success and may we help to make Handmade Artists the place people go for handmade.

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 08:09:21 PM »

Posted the news story to my facebook page...

Offline RebeccaB

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »
Chainmaille:  ..."What we need is people that have been doing this awhile. We need people that were with Etsy in 2006, people who know what it takes to establish themselves, those are the ones that stay, the others are a flash in the pan."

Please don't apply this to all of us who are new to the online venue.  I have been an artist, designer and handcrafter for more than twenty years, and although I wasn't online for most of those twenty years, I worked hard to get my work into galleries, shows, etc.  Those were tough years requiring a lot of hard work not only to develop and produce my work, but to get it out there and recognized.  It took a while before I started seeing sales.  Then I had to start all over after having to help take care of my father, who was very ill.  I have basically dropped showing in galleries and started selling my work in shows and online, where I can offer my work without galleries taking a 40% cut of all sales.  I expect to be here for the long haul, and I'm not surprised I don't have sales yet.  I believe with persistance and a don't-give-up attitude, the online venue will work for me just as the shows I am doing now are working for me.   
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:18:28 AM by RebeccaB »

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 11:40:21 AM »
Very good point, Rebecca.  If only all artists were as reasonable as you.  It often seems that only with experience do people learn to stop expecting magic.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 12:17:52 PM »
Thank you Rebecca.  We have been at this for awhile from shows to online and after a number of years get regular sales but it has taken a lot of work. Those that are looking for the list it and immediately sell are sadly mistaken about what it takes to really become a self supporting artist. 

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »
Thank you Rebecca.  We have been at this for awhile from shows to online and after a number of years get regular sales but it has taken a lot of work. Those that are looking for the list it and immediately sell are sadly mistaken about what it takes to really become a self supporting artist.

That doesn't work anywhere as far as I know. It always takes time.