Author Topic: A new trend?  (Read 4520 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
A new trend?
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:16:52 AM »
I am looking to either confirm or not confirm an observation of mine. This is probably geared more towards those who wire wrap. Does it appear to you that wire wrapping has become somewhat messy looking lately? Instead of nice, tight wraps, it's all over the place, overlapping, etc. Bail loops are wonky, the wire looks REALLY used because of all the kinks, etc. (I have NOTHING against recycling) . I've been noticing this more and more lately. I am unsure if it's a new trend leaning to the Bohemian thing or they just don't know what they're doing? I always try to keep my wire smooth, clean, dent free, with fairly linear lines.   Opinions please!

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
Re: A new trend?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »
Lots of people that need lots more practice?  ???
My earlier stuff is much more "rustic" than the recent pieces...  :laugh:

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
Lots of people that need lots more practice?  ???
My earlier stuff is much more "rustic" than the recent pieces...  :laugh:

Believe me, I've had and have more than my fair share of rustic. ;) What I'm seeing looks very intentional.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:40:38 PM »
I don't know if I'd call it a 'new trend' so much as a growing lack of caring (by those making it) about precise work.  I noticed this same thing at the gallery I have my work in. I cringed (and was absolutely horrified) then I saw the quality (or lack thereof) of the wire-wrapping they were showing.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 07:11:28 PM »
Just in browsing through some of my facebook friends work, I am seeing some of the same things.  I personally think the same, it is a general lack of caring about their work or trying to sell something before they are good enough at it.  I did the same at first and then found that wire wrapping is not really my thing anyway, so moved to beads which I much prefer.  I still do some wire wrapping, but I usually make several pieces before I am satisfied with one that I would put up for sale.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 07:30:14 PM »
I have noticed this" trend" in several different mediums that I am familiar with (wire wrapping isn't one that I really know about, but know that some looks more professional than others) I usually chalk it up to beginner crafting and think it will improve in time.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 06:28:25 AM »
Okay, I'm glad to know it's not just me. I really try not to be judgmental when it comes to people and their craft, but this whole sloppy thing just kind of grates on me. It almost makes me think I need to do that and maybe the sales will come, but then I stop and tell myself no. It would be like taking giant steps backwards. My wire wrapping is no where near perfect, but I do try to improve each time I make something.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 01:12:42 PM »
Quality work will gain loyalty with your customers. Kimberly gets return customers constantly, some of the same ones come back every year.
I'm sure sloppy work will not get any return customers. hence that is why I do not wire wrap.
I do chainmaille as your dealing with a controlled ring size, not free forming it. Anything I've ever wrapped looks like crap, so I don't even try any more

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:39:42 AM »
I can't believe that anything you would make would be THAT bad! We are our own worst critic you know.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 12:49:59 PM »
Teresa, it is true, you can ask Kimberly. My ape like hands can not wire wrap. It will look like  mangled mess.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »
Teresa, it is true, you can ask Kimberly. My ape like hands can not wire wrap. It will look like  mangled mess.

Wire wrap is definitely NOT one of Andrew's talents... :o

I agree with what you have seen.  I put together posts for IBH for theme days and have looked at more wire wrap than I care to think about that I passed one because of wonky wires, exposed ends that look sharp or kinky wire.  If it is intentional it is not a look I like...reminds me of what I first started.  I have pulled apart more pieces than I care to think about (and often had to scrap the silver) because of kinked wire that I just won't put up to sell.

I've seen it in some other mediums as well and it makes me sad.

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »
Like everything, there are lots of things for sale online that are simply not professional looking.  I find it challenging to do the simple once around wrap on a loop, so you will not see wire wrapping from me.  An area where I really notice the difference in skill levels is in knitted and crocheted items.  Some are beautifully done and inventive and some remind me of beginners classes. 

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 12:34:31 PM »
I have seen a lot of those too, specially wire with jagged end, and always wondered how it could be worn without scratching people. Most of the time, I think it's due to inexperience or those people just don't care about learning what's best, and are just eager to sell... But I think in the end, I think customers can see that too.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »
As a customer, ditto Colette.  I know I see the difference!

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 12:26:34 AM »
I can't imagine anyone looking at amateur wrapping and yours and not seeing the difference.  Your work is always gorgeous!
I have seen a lot of those too, specially wire with jagged end, and always wondered how it could be worn without scratching people. Most of the time, I think it's due to inexperience or those people just don't care about learning what's best, and are just eager to sell... But I think in the end, I think customers can see that too.