Author Topic: Liquidation Sale  (Read 1985 times)

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
Liquidation Sale
« on: August 23, 2013, 05:00:59 AM »
Debora has decided to cease designing and crafting beaded jewelry.  She has also directed that we liquidate her pieces at (or slightly below) the cost of materials.  Thus, Rasmussen Gems and Jewelry is offering all her pieces at LIQUIDATION PRICES.  In our shop https://handmadeartists.com/shop/rasmussengems now has a shop section for these Liquidation pieces.  This sale will continue until all of Debora's pieces have been sold.
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Liquidation Sale
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 09:47:07 AM »
Holy crow, those are inexpensive!  I need to have a chat later with E about shopping...

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »
Okay John, this is just me, but I think you should hold off, those prices are crazy low and the pieces are too nice to discount her time and effort like that.  Perhaps you could at least put your favorites of her pieces at their original prices and we can all try to promote them like crazy.  I am happy to pin anything you like.  Nobody seems to look at my Twitter or FB. 

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
Okay John, this is just me, but I think you should hold off, those prices are crazy low and the pieces are too nice to discount her time and effort like that.  Perhaps you could at least put your favorites of her pieces at their original prices and we can all try to promote them like crazy.  I am happy to pin anything you like.  Nobody seems to look at my Twitter or FB.

Um, it's NOT just you. They are crazy low! I won't argue the point because sometimes you just want to get rid of stuff. Probably why my $3 earring rack at my store does well. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it all works out and you're happy with the decision.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
All,

the prices/decision are Deboras, not mine.  She may change her mind sometime in the future, but for now, she is so depressed about her craft.  I agree that she should not do this, but her work is hers, not mine.  My pieces will remain as they are, moderately expensive, but well made.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »
Well, I can understand the getting depressed aspect of it. I feel that way often. It's hard when the sales aren't there. Small comfort is that my stuff sells fairly well at my store and I don't have to push it. In fact, I'm pushing everyone else's stuff because I know how tough that is.  Maybe you should try to find a local show you can do, have a home jewelry party, or maybe try to see if she could sell at a salon or something. You know that when people can see it, touch it, etc. it's much better and they are more likely to buy. Just my .002 cents.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 06:14:40 PM »
I'm sorry to hear she's so depressed about her craft. I know how frustrating it is when the sales just aren't there. I tend to sell very little online. This year has actually been the most online sales I've ever had: 1 piece via HAF, and 6 via my website. Up until this year, I'd only ever sold 3 pieces online. 

Jewelry will always sell better in person then online, so I agree with the others that maybe (if you aren't already) that you and she should look for more shows or other such offline selling venues. 

Oh, and this may sound strange, but sometimes if a piece is not selling it is actually better to raise the pricetthan to lower it.  I've sold quite a few pieces that would get lots of looks and comments, but they didn't actually sell until I raised their price. Just a thought.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 08:27:43 AM »
I have done the "raise the price" bit and it does work sometimes. I will change the listing as far as the description, sometimes new pictures, tags, etc. I've tried having sales online and have had very little luck with that. Seems like everything is always on sale, so do people really pay attention to that anymore?
 ???

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 05:20:22 PM »
I do understand the frustration.  I would think we all do.  I hope it works out well for both of you, John.