Author Topic: Bracelet jumprings pulling apart too easily  (Read 1829 times)

Offline SaltBoxBeads

• View Profile
    • Salt Box Beads
Bracelet jumprings pulling apart too easily
« on: August 08, 2013, 03:03:41 PM »
On bracelets with many jump rings of different materials such as copper, brass, silver plate, etc.  do you solder them or just make sure to buy hard findings  so they do not pull apart so easily?  or do you do something else?

I do not want to sell a bracelet and have the charms and dangles pull off easily,   and after wearing one or two and giving them a test run hat is what is happening,  but I don't want to add the time /cost for soldering each and every ring  because I use a lot of them.

What do you do? Thanks for any help :)
Lorraine
Slow Down And Enjoy The Creative Process

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
Re: Bracelet jumprings pulling apart too easily
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:31:46 PM »
Lorraine,

I just lost a rather extensive reply.  I really hate Windows.  However, I will try to redo.

I looked at your pieces in your shop.  Thank you for the pictures that are in focus.  Some ideas --

I agree, you do not want to invest the time to solder all of those joins, especially in such intricate designs.  So:

1.  you might want to consider split rings instead of jump rings (however, they are quite difficult to work with)
2.  you might want to consider using harder wire (the metals you are using do not work harden well)
3.  you might want to consider making your own jump rings using the harder wire, I make my own rings in copper and sterling silver.  I made a Byzantine weave copper bracelet, that took 50 feet of wire to make the jump rings, and have hard no problems with separation of the rings (none are soldered).

If you find that these things increase your time, I actually think your prices look a little low for the intricacy of your designs and in my mind the difficulty (time) that they take to make.  As an exercise, take your price, subtract the cost of materials, then divide the remainder by the time that you actually took to make the piece.  Are you even making minimum wage?

Check you rings, if you are manipulating them with your fingers, they are way too soft.  You might be able to slightly increase the hardness with burnishing your rings in a steel shot tumbler.

Sorry for the rambling, I am also retired and it is late after having four of my grandsons staying here all day.  I was totally pooped and fell asleep during wheel and jeopardy.  If you have any specific questions, or inquiries, please feel free to contact me.  I'll try to assist as well as I can.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline SaltBoxBeads

• View Profile
    • Salt Box Beads
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:00:58 AM »
Thanks John,  I appreciate the answers.    I use anything from flea market finds, thrift stores, Joanns fabrics and Michaels 40 % off findings for these bracelets,  so it helps keep these costume jewelry prices lower.   I always add in 15-20.00 for my time.

I am just going to have to get more selective and check all the jump rings before I purchase them or open a package right after I walk out of the store and if they are dead soft,  or brittle take them right back in... ;D
I do make all of my own silver, gold, copper and red brass rings but they go into my higher end jewelry.   
Thank you so much for the replies.   I may just try using oval rings and see how that goes.  I do not like the look of doubling up with the  jump rings but I may have to do that.

Lorraine

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 07:32:04 AM »
I was thinking the same way as John.

I generally try and wire the charms, beads, etc. directly to the bracelet or whatever I am making  using wrapped loops. Much more secure, not much more time. I do use a heavier gauge wire though, generally 20 or 22.

Offline SaltBoxBeads

• View Profile
    • Salt Box Beads
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
I just made all of the round rings oval.  They are holding up great now.  Amazing how much of a difference with the opening at the center of one side.  LOL

Thanks everyone.
Lorraine

Offline MollyLenore

• Musician & Artist
    • View Profile
    • My Shop Here (Use code HELLO2013 & get 15% off)
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 11:06:53 AM »
I use the spit ring types. Like John said, though.. they're hard to work with. I've really not found a method to use on opening them, any better than using my fingernails. There's a household joke here where my family says they know I've been making jewelry because my index finger nails are broken. They really do hold strong.

If you ever use brass, try checking out a shop called Fallen Angel Brass. I bought a pack of little regular antiqued brass jump rings, was scared at first thinking they may be too fragile but they have held up great so far. I use those in my brass jewelry because I've never seen antiqued brass split rings for sale in any craft stores & the regular ones I saw looked too cheap & weren't labelled lead or nickel free.

Offline TheSilkRoadie

• View Profile
    • The Silk Roadie
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 03:01:17 AM »
I have found that a 6" to 8" very pointy tweezers can be used to open split rings and hold them while adding various links, loops and dangles. It takes a little practice to leave sufficient space and to slide the tweezers out without losing what you are trying to add but it can be much quicker as well as less damaging to your fingernails when you get the hang of it.
Storm

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”  Albert Einstein

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 06:58:53 AM »
Forgot to say: I use half hard Sterling silver wire, which I open with two flat nosed pliers.  Remember that jump rings are opened by twisting at right angle to the ring, do not pry the ring open distorting the round ring.  Since I make my own rings, I also use a cup bur on my flex shaft to round off the ends of the wire so there is less chance of snagging the ring and causing it to open.  As Jo Hammer says on another forum: "Have fun, make jewelry."

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com