Business Tips, Tutorials, and Technical Help > Technical Help in Creating

Bracelet jumprings pulling apart too easily

(1/2) > >>

SaltBoxBeads:
On bracelets with many jump rings of different materials such as copper, brass, silver plate, etc.  do you solder them or just make sure to buy hard findings  so they do not pull apart so easily?  or do you do something else?

I do not want to sell a bracelet and have the charms and dangles pull off easily,   and after wearing one or two and giving them a test run hat is what is happening,  but I don't want to add the time /cost for soldering each and every ring  because I use a lot of them.

What do you do? Thanks for any help :)
Lorraine

gemlover:
Lorraine,

I just lost a rather extensive reply.  I really hate Windows.  However, I will try to redo.

I looked at your pieces in your shop.  Thank you for the pictures that are in focus.  Some ideas --

I agree, you do not want to invest the time to solder all of those joins, especially in such intricate designs.  So:

1.  you might want to consider split rings instead of jump rings (however, they are quite difficult to work with)
2.  you might want to consider using harder wire (the metals you are using do not work harden well)
3.  you might want to consider making your own jump rings using the harder wire, I make my own rings in copper and sterling silver.  I made a Byzantine weave copper bracelet, that took 50 feet of wire to make the jump rings, and have hard no problems with separation of the rings (none are soldered).

If you find that these things increase your time, I actually think your prices look a little low for the intricacy of your designs and in my mind the difficulty (time) that they take to make.  As an exercise, take your price, subtract the cost of materials, then divide the remainder by the time that you actually took to make the piece.  Are you even making minimum wage?

Check you rings, if you are manipulating them with your fingers, they are way too soft.  You might be able to slightly increase the hardness with burnishing your rings in a steel shot tumbler.

Sorry for the rambling, I am also retired and it is late after having four of my grandsons staying here all day.  I was totally pooped and fell asleep during wheel and jeopardy.  If you have any specific questions, or inquiries, please feel free to contact me.  I'll try to assist as well as I can.

John

SaltBoxBeads:
Thanks John,  I appreciate the answers.    I use anything from flea market finds, thrift stores, Joanns fabrics and Michaels 40 % off findings for these bracelets,  so it helps keep these costume jewelry prices lower.   I always add in 15-20.00 for my time.

I am just going to have to get more selective and check all the jump rings before I purchase them or open a package right after I walk out of the store and if they are dead soft,  or brittle take them right back in... ;D
I do make all of my own silver, gold, copper and red brass rings but they go into my higher end jewelry.   
Thank you so much for the replies.   I may just try using oval rings and see how that goes.  I do not like the look of doubling up with the  jump rings but I may have to do that.

Lorraine

trusk4u:
I was thinking the same way as John.

I generally try and wire the charms, beads, etc. directly to the bracelet or whatever I am making  using wrapped loops. Much more secure, not much more time. I do use a heavier gauge wire though, generally 20 or 22.

SaltBoxBeads:
I just made all of the round rings oval.  They are holding up great now.  Amazing how much of a difference with the opening at the center of one side.  LOL

Thanks everyone.
Lorraine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version