Author Topic: My jewelry's been accepted into a gallery!  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
My jewelry's been accepted into a gallery!
« on: June 17, 2013, 03:43:21 PM »
I had some excitement today and just had to share!  I met with the manager of an art gallery in Bay City, Michigan ( the Do-Art Studio and Gallery) today to show them my jewelry and they took fourteen pieces on consignment! I can't wait to see how things go (this is my first time placing work on consignment anywhere) and am extremely thankful to the Lord for unexpected encounters!  The lead for this gallery came from talking to a lady at an antiques festival and she introduced me to her friend that just happened to work at the gallery.  And today not only did the gallery manager take my jewelry on consignment, but she gave me a recommendation for another art gallery that she thinks would be interested in my work so I plan to phone them later on this week. The Lord has been opening up some great opportunities lately and I am just so thankful and excited to see where they lead! 

myeuropeantouch

Re: My jewelry's been accepted into a gallery!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:55:55 PM »
All thanks to him..... :D :D and congrats....

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:23:26 AM »
Thanks, everyone!  They're also interested in carrying my Steampunk and upcycled jewelry lines in their second gallery which is all for fashion and wearable art made from upcycled materials. The next time I go down there I'll be bringing some of these pieces to show/consign. I'm still so excited from yesterday, I think I'm going to be giddy for pretty much the whole week ;D.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »
Wonderful news!   congratulations!!
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »
Congratulations and well deserved...your work is amazing!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 07:09:15 PM »
Whoo hoo! That's fantastic news and you should be giddy! :)

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 11:48:43 AM »
Congrats!  Hope it all sells!
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline kmarie0218

• my current picture
    • View Profile
    • My Lil' Craft Shoppe
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »
Congrats!!!!  That's exciting news and I hope you do really, really well!  Good luck!!!!  You have every right to be outrageously giddy and excited!  :)

I recently got my jewelry into my first shop too!  Luckily it was super easy as my Zumba instructor owns an upscale resale consignment shop which I've known for a while (since she opened it about a yr ago) and I just casually asked her one day after class if she took jewelry.  She said yes, and it just so happened that the jewelry artist she had in for a few months was done and she was looking for new stuff, so it was perfect timing.  I happened to have an item I in my purse I had taken to work for "show n tell" and I showed it to her.  She loved it and said it'd be perfect.  She told me to bring in 10 items the following week (which was an OMG what do I give her moment).  I think at least 5 or 6 of the 10 items went.  And I just started making some copper pieces that I showed her, and she told me to bring a few in since my tray of jewelry was looking a little empty.  :)

On top of that, she said there's a gallery night coming in Aug and she wants me to be there with my jewelry.  Looking forward to that opportunity big time!  At some point I would really like to get more items in another gallery, a true artisan gallery, especially.  There's a jewelry store/gallery up north (in Door County, WI) my friends and I visit and it's my dream to have pieces there some day.  We have an artsy downtown area near me with several galleries.  I'd like to try them.  I'm just really nervous on how to approach them.

So you never know where a chance encounter will lead, or just a casual question!  I was so nervous that none of it would sell, so I'm ecstatic that some has.  I don't charge a lot for my pieces in general so it was hard to do the pricing.  I feel with the copper stuff now it's definitely artisan work and can justify the prices more.   

Can I ask what the arrangement is?  Is it a 60/40 split in your favor?  That seems to by typical.  That's what she has at her shop.  I knew I couldn't price my items to get what I'd charge for it elsewhere so what I'm getting for them is less, but I feel that the exposure is so worth it.  Especially with this gallery night event.  She's been telling people I will be there with my jewelry.  Plus, the sales of that are all mine.  So it will be interesting. 

I have an in-home show next week, the gallery night, and a fair in Sept.  I really need to pry myself away from this computer and go work on jewelry!

Again, good luck to you.  Keep us posted on how you do.  I share your excitement!!!!

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:33 AM »
Thank you and congrats to you also!

The gallery I'm consigning with has a 60/40 split (used to be 70/30, but they opened a new store and one of their gallery/boutiques is a nonprofit). They added their 40% onto my asking price so I would not be getting less then what I told them I needed for the pieces.