Author Topic: Learning handmade  (Read 1277 times)

Offline skypaca

• View Profile
Learning handmade
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »
I'm trying to learn more jewelry making techniques so I can step up my game... do you know of any good sources for lessons? Would prefer private lessons, I find tutorials hard to follow a lot of the time.

Came across this site when I was searching: [size=78%]http://www.lorious.com/[/size] ... has anyone used it before? Any opinions?

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: Learning handmade
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:59:50 PM »
For lessons, I would try Michael's, JoAnn fabrics and Crafts, places like that. If you have a community college nearby you may find someone there too. I taught myself using tutorials, internet, lots of books and a lot of practice.

Offline kmarie0218

• my current picture
    • View Profile
    • My Lil' Craft Shoppe
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »
I agree with Teresa....you could try a local college.  I know someone at work who took a metals class at one of our local schools and just having had that class she is able to use the shop any time.  That's a great perk.

Do you have any local bead stores in your area?  All of the ones in my area offer classes.  Also, is there a beading group in your area?  I joined The Loose Bead Society (of Greater Milwaukee, WI) last year and a few times a year they have hands-on programs at the monthly meetings.  Next Monday we get to learn 2 part epoxy clay - something I've been interested in but have never tried.  A few months ago we learned kumihimo.  Joining the society has been a great way for me to learn new things.  Hopefully there is one in your area, or maybe there's a small beaders group that gets together to bead.  You could check on meetup.com.  You could even start your own group!

Youtube videos come in very handy for learning new techniques.  There's also beaducation.com which has a lot of free videos and then others you have to buy.  Jewelrylessons.com does the same thing, I believe.

I just started playing with metal (mostly copper) and have been having a blast learning how to work with it, solder wire, etc.  It's really helping me "step it up"! 

Good luck!

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »
In addition to the already mentioned groups, look for a local gem and mineral society, they frequently have jewelry makers and classes.  There are several places (especially in this area) that have classes.  For gem and mineral society, look here: www.amfed.org this is the American Federation of Mineral Societies, then locate you regional society, then the correct state for a list of groups by state.

Other places:  William Holland School of Lapidary Arts (Young Harris, Ga); John Campbell Folk School (Brasstown, NC), Arrowmont (Gatlinburg, TN), Revere School (San Francisco, CA), North Bennett Street School (Boston, MA) and many others.  If you are near the Upstate of South Carolina, I would be happy to teach what I can.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »
Thats what I was going to recommend John.  Also, go to Jewelry Lessons.com, there are some free tutorial videos there but you can also join for like $90 a year and get most all the tutorial videos.  Or right, YouTube, just do a search for jewelry making, or beading or whatever, on Youtube check out beadaholique, they have tons of videos.

I learned like others, tutorials, and practice, practice, practice.