Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 772 times)

Offline Stonz

• View Profile
Help Please
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Am new to this site and getting ready to take pictures using a digital camera. I haven't found any helpful hints on the site as far as size and am not to good with the mega pixel stuff. In the past I've used a setting called vga but can also use up to a 6. Any suggestions! Thanks so much, Andrea

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »
Not sure about your settings, but go for the best quality you can.  Once you're uploading them, I use my photo editing program to resize them so one side is about 1000 megapixels.  The shop automatically resizes so they're 720 megapixels across and still in proportion, but I like to use 1000 because if someone clicks on a photo they can open a new tab with the full-sized photo.  You can't go to big or it'll  hang up the site and your item won't actually upload properly.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:45:17 AM »
If you can do manual settings, make your f-stop as high as you can; make the ISO setting as low as you can; I use the 6 megapixel setting on my camera as that takes a 6x4 picture which is the ratio used by the shop program to fit the pictures.  You must use a tripod; natural sun lighting is best.  plain background, nothing that overpowers your work.  also use the delay setting for the shutter so you are not touching the camera/tripod when the picture is taken, I usually use the 2 second setting.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com