Author Topic: First attempt at working with seed beads...  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Lori Sue

• Sometimes you feel like a nut...
    • View Profile
First attempt at working with seed beads...
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:49:38 AM »
I know it ain't pretty, but I need some advice on finishing and stuff.  This was an experimental piece, so the beads go all different ways...
 :-X :-X

Jeanne

Re: First attempt at working with seed beads...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:20:01 AM »
It is too pretty.  What stitch are you using?  What do you want it to end up like?  Any questions on seed beads or stitches, just pm me. 

Offline Lori Sue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:58:03 AM »
Uh..Stitch?  LOL  I am not sure what it is called but you take 1,2, 3, or 5 beads in a row, pass through the last couple and string more. (That is a really bad explaination...)  I ran off a graphic I liked, pinned it on felt (ACK white paper, black graphic, black felt.  I totally used a sharpie in some places) and started stitching.  I glued the back then cut it out and whip stitched around the outside and through some places where the beads looked loose.  There were places I could not cut and I could not find my Exacto so I worked around them.  This is a card for my Mom and Step Dad.  Yep got happy on glue for a little bit  ;D.

Offline Heathr03

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 12:19:13 PM »
It's a backstitch, and it's done really well. Good job! How do you want to finish it? It's glued to paper right?

A note about markers though, Pick up some micron pens, they're archival (or acid free)and come in different sizes and colors.
The acid  in Sharpies will eventually eat away the felt. I don't mean like next week, more like twenty years or so.
Heather - HAF Etsy Street Team Promotions Chair
Blog: www.heathershaven2.blogspot.com
Etsy: www.heathershaven.etsy.com

Jeanne

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:21:55 PM »
The backstitch doesn't always stay in place so you did right to tack it in places.  I think for your first attempt, you did great. :D :D :D :D

Jeanne

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 12:24:32 PM »
It's a backstitch, and it's done really well. Good job! How do you want to finish it? It's glued to paper right?

A note about markers though, Pick up some micron pens, they're archival (or acid free)and come in different sizes and colors.
The acid  in Sharpies will eventually eat away the felt. I don't mean like next week, more like twenty years or so.
Hey, Heather, glad to see you.  Welcome aboard.  Are you following me?   ;)

Any advice Heather gives you on embroidery take it.  She does fantastic work.

Offline Lori Sue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  My mom loved it.  (She would love a petrified piece of poo as long as I put a bead or something on it ;D :o)  I am going to work on another one tonight.  I think I am getting the idea.  When you are doing an independent piece, do you outline first, work with one color first, or just start somewhere???

Offline dreamriverdesigns

• Handcrafted heirloom quality jewelry
    • View Profile
    • DreamRiver Designs
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 06:28:53 PM »
looks great, love how you started with kokopeli, I've always like him/her.

Jeanne

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 06:39:06 PM »
Thanks guys.  My mom loved it.  (She would love a petrified piece of poo as long as I put a bead or something on it ;D :o)  I am going to work on another one tonight.  I think I am getting the idea.  When you are doing an independent piece, do you outline first, work with one color first, or just start somewhere???

I find it easier to start in one place rather than outline.  That way I can make sure that the beads fit closely.  I do the backstitch in a lot of my dolls. Please if you have any questions, just pm me.

Offline Lori Sue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 06:46:56 PM »

I glued it onto paper as a card.  I love Hobby Lobby's selection of scrapbooking paper.  I will pick up some of those pens.  Now hubby wants me to do stuff for him... :o

Offline Lori Sue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 12:01:10 AM »
OK, I might just bead the world!!  This one I did tonight.  I just finished beading and have not cut it off or anything.  I like this one. BTW it is a rose, but lack of bead colors made it pink and purple.  What do you think?

Jeanne

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 12:14:40 AM »
It looks good.  Congrats.  Colors should be whatever you want them to be.  Don't worry about them.

You did a great job.  Now try coming up through the material, add three beads and go down through  approximately the same place.  That is a good stitch to use too.  Or if you want length, try 5 beads, skip the last bead, and go back down through four beads.

With these stitches you can make almost anything.

Offline Heathr03

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »
OK, I might just bead the world!! 

LOL! That sounds like the beginning of an addiction!
The rose looks great! the stitches Jeanne offered will give you a more textured effect.
Your gonna have fun with this! keep sharing.
Heather - HAF Etsy Street Team Promotions Chair
Blog: www.heathershaven2.blogspot.com
Etsy: www.heathershaven.etsy.com