Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 1228378 times)

Offline ajsdesigns

• View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”—Pablo Picasso

Hello!  My name is Aletha and I live in Tulsa, OK, or better known as “tornado alley.”  I am a self-taught artist and am still in the process of learning.  I have been in the graphic arts/print production industry for many, many years.  Just how many?  I ain’t tellin’.

I live with my husband (he’s a writer/editor), one cat (Lucyfur), and two dogs (Watson and Nanuk).  We have two grown children and two grandsons.

I love rubber stamps, mixed media, and collage!!!  I started with rubber stamp art around 10 years ago after working at Hobby Lobby as assistant manager.  Working in a store like that really gets the creative juices flowing.  But it was not Hobby Lobby’s fault for my addiction to rubber stamps.  It was my husband’s.  He is the one who purchased my first rubber stamps as a gift for me.  After that I was hooked!  What Hobby Lobby helped with was taking my salary back from me when there was a rubber stamp sale (we also got a 15% discount).  Yep, I was working to supply my addiction.

After looking at my online shops, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate contacting me.

Thanks for looking!
Aletha
http://ajsdesigns.etsy.com
http://ajsdesigns.artfire.com
http://ajsdesigns.1000markets.com

Jeanne

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2009, 02:00:40 PM »
Aletha:

That is my favorite quote.  In fact, I have it burnt into a picture on my wall.

Welcome to the group.  Your bookmarks are great!. 

Jeanne

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 09:14:32 PM »
Hi Everyone; My name is Matt Vegar I live on the beautiful Oregon coast. I restarted making jewelry about a year ago after doing the Julia Cammeron book The Artist Way and it awakened my desire to make beautiful stuff.                       I am a mostly self taught artist, (One lapidary class in high school). I am working in lapidary and wire wrapping. I am still learning how to computer, but I have a site on ETSY and I am also on twitter (thats how I found you guys) @igophergold I have dabbled in maille by making my own rings out of copper (repurposed house wire) but thats a lot of work!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2009, 09:47:43 PM »
Hi Dragonclaw welcome I'm so excited to see another man on the forum ;D
Anyway good to see you here.

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 03:37:34 AM »
So many new members, its fabulous!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2009, 05:08:15 AM »
What a talented buch we are!  It is so great to see so many new members-welcome and enjoy.

maillemystique

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2009, 07:18:10 AM »
We just keep growing! Welcome to the forum............MBOI and Mrs. MBOI are wonderful people!

Jeanne

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »
Amazing how different we all are, but bound together by being true ARTISTS!!!!

Welcome to the group.

Jeanne

Offline Manic Butterfly

• View Profile
    • Manic Butterfly Jewels
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2009, 04:28:58 PM »
Hello all-Suzanne here, of Manic Butterfly Jewels, and another Michiganer. I've been creative all my life. When I was a kid my parents gave me free reign with craft catalogs, and I happily created things from a young age. I started making jewelry in 2001 when I discovered online that I could actually buy parts to make a bracelet much cheaper than buying the actual bracelet. One thing led to another and of course as most people on here, I basically live and breath jewelry now.

I'm basically a full-time designer at this point, having also lost my job, in 2007-due to progressive arthitis in my spine. The loss of function in my legs from the damage to nerves in the spine(inoperable), along with the medications I was put on, prevented me from being able to fully perform my job. Companies that hire you to manage their money/accounting generally tend to want a person who is always coherent LOL  :P Anyway, I have many days with pain that prevents me from doing much of anything involving moving my body, as I prefer to think straight and suffer, rather than exist in a drug-induced haze. I just try to make the most of the good days that I have. I also live with fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis, but I don't let my body get in the way of my mind!! Since I'm house-bound most of the time, I'm very grateful to have the internet-meeting people from all around the world is a wonderful thing :D

I'm happy to meet everyone here and absolutely love checking out the beautiful things all of you have created. I sooo want to start doing chainmaille, but not sure my hands could perform well enough for such intricate work. That doesn't mean I won't try it though!! lol I also am one of those people who looks at something and says, 'Hey I can do that!!!'

Suzanne

Offline beeboo

• View Profile
    • beeboo
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2009, 03:36:11 PM »
Hi all, I joined a couple days ago after seeing a twitter post about this new forum. Nice to meet some like minded people making fabulous things by hand! I've been making beaded jewelry for over ten years and the glass beads (lampwork and fusing) for the past five or six years so label myself these days as a "glass jewelry artist".

I work by day as a graphic artist and illustrator at a MA veterinary school. I'm married with two teen children (boy and girl) who keep me hopping in the off hours. Studio time is at night and on the weekends when I'm not running around with the kids. You can check out my jewelry on my website beeboo my beads are on etsy read up on my life at my blog.

Looking forward to visiting with you all on the forum. Looks like a talented group! Have a great weekend. Beth, Beeboo

Beth Mellor, Beeboo
beeboo.etsy.com
www.beeboo.com
beebootoo (twitter)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2009, 03:45:01 PM »
Welcome beeboo it's a requirement that all graphic artists enter in the banner contest http://handmadeartistsforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,52.0.html  ;D
Just kidding well sort of glad to see you here

Offline jewelrybyjanelle50

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2009, 09:57:10 PM »
Hi! My name is Janelle, and my friends call me Jan. I have an Etsy shop, which I just started to list in, the shop name is jewelrybyjanelle50. I have always loved jewelry, and I got started making my own because I was tired of having to accept what was on the retail shelves. Alot of times, I couldn't find the colors I wanted, or didn't want to be seen wearing the same thing as everone else had. Same for clothes as well, my outfit always seemed to look better on someone else, LOL! So....I love the gemstones, natural, and I think I have found something different in the exotic woods. My ex hubby (he and I remain friendly) offered me the use of his scrap exotic woods (since jewelry pieces are usually small), and lessons on how to use some of the equipment, some of it I was already familiar with. I played around with somethings, and when it looked right, it was ON, I was hooked! I love the richness of the subtle color hues, and some of it can be pretty colorful as well, such as purpleheart. At any rate, I figured that while I am unemployed, I might as well try and do something with it to make some money, and there I went. I simply gave up one addiction for another, a more healthy one, lol. I am another one of those who simply cannot go into a craft store for one thing and not come out with a whole lot more. Right now, I am spending every spare dime I have in hopes of making a whole lot more, an investment of sorts, if you will....! OH, and after what my ex has seen me do, those scrap pieces have turned into some larger slices of the GOOD stuff, lol. I am having a blast with this, and hope you will come to my Etsy shop and take a look around! Nice to meet you, btw.

Offline catnmouse77

• View Profile
    • earthshine.etsy.com
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2009, 09:59:17 PM »
Hi everyone! My name is April and I love to make things. In real life I am really shy.  I like fantasy stuff and I kinda live in my own head a lot of the time.  I am also really bad at 2-Dimensional things like painting on paper.  Through the years I have enjoyed wood carving, ceramics, photography, jewelry making, crochet, sewing.....

When I make jewelry I only work with silver. Gold makes me feel jittery.  Recently my sister [darn her] got me into crochet. This has snowballed and I am now a yarn junkie as well has a bead and wire fanatic.
I have a regular office job which I really don't like but I am just getting started trying to sell my creations [I have an etsy store]. I have no idea what I'm doing!!!  I have decided that all proceeds from my etsy store are going toward the care of Breena...horse my partner and I adopted recently. She was so skinny and didn't sell at auction so they were going to shoot her. [She's doing very well now btw]

I know a lot of you do chainmaille. I have never tried making chainmaille [I discovered gemstones years ago and got hooked] although I do have a particular interest in it. All of the stuff I have seen here is awsome and I hope to get to know all of you talented folks better!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2009, 07:43:40 AM »
Welcome April and Janelle glad to see you here.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »
Recently my sister [darn her] got me into crochet. This has snowballed and I am now a yarn junkie as well has a bead and wire fanatic.

Those darn addictions will get you every time!  But yarn is so soft...