Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 600636 times)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 10:27:20 AM »
I was wondering were the name came from, thanks for offering the info so I wouldn't have to embarrass myself by asking ;D

Jeanne

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 11:01:02 AM »
I was wondering were the name came from, thanks for offering the info so I wouldn't have to embarrass myself by asking ;D
Never be embarrassed to ask questions.  I am sure there are others out there who were wondering too and no one ever asked.  How can we learn without questions?  I used to be Bratness, Queen of the Brats, in the early days of chatting, maybe 10 or 12 years ago, then I was off the computer for awhile and I googled myself to see what I had been up too and found out that Bratness was now a 16 year old lesbian.  Imagine my surprise.  I quickly changed my name...lol  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against lesbianism, but I didn't want all the emails that came with the name.

Jeanne

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 04:38:11 AM »
Hi, I'm Haffina. I'm an Australian, who happens to admin on another SMF site. I came across 'Chainmaille by MBOI' on Twitter, and then again when looking for open Project Wonderful ad spaces..so I thought it was a sign! I love Chainmaille.. absolutely obsessed.. spent most of today making new pieces and experimenting and trying to learn new weaves. I also make other types of jewellery, including polymer clay beads. I have a studio on ArtFire and a store on the SMF forum I admin on.
Oh.. and Im also a mum of 5 kids  :D

maillemystique

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 06:22:18 AM »
Ok, fine. I'm Deb and the first piece of jewelry I ever made was when I took 2 dandelion stems and fastened them together to make a bracelet!

For 10 years I made and sold primitive dolls, santas, snowmen etc. They shut my hubby's plant in Illinois and we had to move down here to N.Ky. Went from a big old 6 bedroom house with original woodwork to an apartment down here. Had to do some downsizing. Sold all the fabric etc. and found myself quite bored. Did some research on the internet, found chainmaille, ordered bronze rings to practice and an addiction was born. I'm now in my 6th year of making it and still love it.

2 sons - one in Illinois in a group home and one in the marine corps due back from Iraq TODAY!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 06:26:43 AM »
Welcome Haffina glad to see you here and once again God Bless our troops and your son Deb

Offline AmongTheRuins

• must create!
    • View Profile
    • AmongTheRuins
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 11:47:55 AM »
Welcome Haffina glad to see you here and once again God Bless our troops and your son Deb

God bless you and your son!!!!!!!  Hurray for coming HOME!!!!!!!!

Offline MGChains

• Handmade chain jewelry maker and graphic designer
    • View Profile
    • MGChains on Etsy
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »
Hey everyone! This is a lovely forum you've got here.

I'm Meghan from Portland, Maine, and I do lots of things. I've been making chainmail off and on for about 8 years now, ever since I took a class in college. Yes, I got college credit for learning chainmail  :D

I started out on galvanized steel with armor patterns, but it didn't take long for me to get into anodized aluminum and all the fun jewelry weaves. Eventually I tried my hand at silver and gold and was hooked. I opened up a shop on Etsy a couple months ago and have been trying to build the 'business' ever since.

I'm also an aspiring graphic designer. I'm not a "professional" yet but I'm starting a master of arts program in graphic design in Boston this summer, and you can check out my personal website at http://www.meghangrammer.com

This is a good place to mention that all the proceeds from my Etsy shop (once I turn a profit, that is  ::)) go towards my graduate degree. I'm so excited to finally have the chance to study something I love, it would be nice to be able to afford food and rent while doing so!

-Meghan

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »
Welcome Meghan, you messed up now, graphic designer.  :P We have a banner contest going on for the forum check out that thread and compete if you dare. Mine is the first entry and it is perfect so try if you may to design something better. The thread is under board rules and suggestions make sure you read through because the original size isn't going to work it's to big.

So try to beat me ;) if you think you can.

On another note great site by the way and good luck with school ;D

Now back to the challenge >:(

Offline MGChains

• Handmade chain jewelry maker and graphic designer
    • View Profile
    • MGChains on Etsy
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2009, 09:32:30 PM »
uh oh, that sounds like a dare....

I should mention that I'm unemployed and have lots of free time to accept your challenges until summer classes start in June  ;D

Offline sassyanddapper

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 09:31:52 PM »
Hi!

I'm Tracey from New York. I quit my job as a graphics supervisor at an in-house ad agency, when my son was born, 5 years ago.
I now have another, a 2 year old daughter and am a stay at home mom. Sometimes I admit I do say "What was I thinking???!"
Not to have kids, but to be a stay at home mom!

To keep my sanity, I have a shop on etsy,
http://www.sassyanddapper.etsy.com
A blog http://sassyanddapper.blogspot.com
and I twitter now http://twitter.com/sassyanddapper

I love to craft. All sorts of crafts interest me. It's fun and my kids can craft their own stuff while I do mine! :)

Jeanne

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 09:57:31 PM »

I love to craft. All sorts of crafts interest me. It's fun and my kids can craft their own stuff while I do mine! :)
Tracey:

Enjoy it while you can.  Children grow up so fast and before you realize it you will be crafting with your grandchildren like I am.
All your "crafts" are beautiful.
Jeanne

Offline AmongTheRuins

• must create!
    • View Profile
    • AmongTheRuins
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 11:55:45 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I really like this forum.  Seems like it's growing so fast and I can hardly keep up!  But if anyone wants to follow me on Twitter, here it is:
http://twitter.com/Among_The_Ruins
thanks!
Kim

Jeanne

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2009, 02:24:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Carrie.  As a grandma, I am hoping my grandchildren feel that way about me some day.  I love teaching them new crafts.

Jeanne

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »
Grandmas are so special.  Mine got me into crafting by teaching me to make doll clothes on a treadle sewing machine as soon as I was big enough to reach the foot peddle.  Your grandkids will have many wonderful memories of creating with you.

GetSilvered

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 09:07:16 PM »
Hi All,
I'm in Australia too.
Nice to be in such great company. I'm Pam and my Etsy Shop is GetSilvered although it's lying dormant at the mo.

I've been doing chain maille for quite a few years and just love the Euro 4 in 1 weave. I mostly do that, but also have been combining the rubber and sterling in the Japanese weaves. My other passion is metalwork jewellery which I really enjoy, it seems there's always a new technique to learn, so recently I've been concentrating more on that.

Been great to read all about you, hope to see you all around the forum.

Cheers
Pam
http://www.getsilvered.blogspot.com