Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 601051 times)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Introduce Yourself
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:24:51 PM »
Take a minute to tell us a little about yourself.

Offline libragear

• Let them eat chainmaille!
    • View Profile
    • Libra Gear: A day in the life
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »
I guess I will start. I am Kate from Libra Gear. I am a jewelryholic although I wear very little of it. I like seeing it on others more than on me. I started mailling in the late 90's and started again in 2002 to help aid in my bi-polar journey. I am also a beadholic. I squirrel them away for a later date. I cannot walk into a bead store and not spend a ton of money, even though I just went in for ear wires. :P I sell an Etsy as well as Artfire.

um... I just wore out my first 2 pairs of pliers. So sad. :( I want to give them a burial and say a little eulogy. It's like saying good by to you best friends. It's OK I got new ones that I like better. :P Don't tell the old ones though.

A day here in the apartment/studio of Kate looks like up, breakfast, computer, if I am in the mood some crafting, then afternoon I take pictures if I need to, and list if there is anything. All through this process I twitter and facebook throughout the day. Oh and listen to the Grateful Dead. They get me through the day.

That is about my in my present state. I hope to be a famous chainmaille designer someday. It could happen... :P I would also like to win the lottery. That is less likely to happen. You actually have to play to win. They never tell you that part. D'oh!

Okies, who is next?

Kate

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:07:10 PM »
libragear  you are to funny bury the pliers.
I bought my wife a set four lyndsrun pliers and she said she would kill me if I touch them. LOL
I do believe that she loves me more than the pliers, at least i think she does. :-\

Offline torajewelry

• View Profile
    • Tora Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:22:33 PM »
Hi my name's Monique from Tora Jewelry, and I'm a craftaholic. I'm one of those people that sees things and thinks "I can make that myself". I've been making jewelry for about 10 years, mostly bead and wirework. I also knit, crochet, sew and build furniture.

I just discovered maille recently, probably about 5 months ago. I was skimming through jewelry on etsy and saw a euro 4-1 bracelet and just went "Wow" and then I said "I can make that!" and a new addiction started. My husband is going crazy already with a closet full of fabric and yarn, and a garage full of wood and tools, cabinets full of beads and now we have something new. But I love it!!

I'm also a stay at home mom of two wonderful kids, and we have a cat. His name is George of the jungle.

And that's my life right now in a nutshell.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:30:56 PM »
Great to have you Monique my wife calls it crafters ADD we had to build a room just to hold the stuff.
She is the major creative force behind our work, I started maille right after her and fell in love. I had to get involved in some kind of craft to keep up. I even have a few cross stiches under my belt.

Offline AmongTheRuins

• must create!
    • View Profile
    • AmongTheRuins
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »
Hello all!  My name is Kim, from AmongTheRuins (etsy).  I am completely new at everything in the wonderful world of art.  I have only dabbled occassionally through the years in jewelry making, a little drawing here and there, sewing, crafts.  But recently I discovered something called "altered art" and from there I found steampunk, and now I'm flipping crazy for all of it!!!  I also have a goal of making money selling my jewelry and altered bottles.  It is slow going and every other day I am encouraged, and every other day I'm down in the dumps.  But I am not giving up and I figure if I just keep at it and keep learning everything I can, I'll get there someday!!
I've been a musician all my life - I play violin and piano, doing occassional professional gigs, and I play in the local orchestra.  I've always wanted to be an artist.  My mom, sisters, brother, and daughter are all talented artists.  I guess I just wanted to be one too!!  So here I am!  I opened up shop on Etsy almost a month ago and all I can do now is eat, sleep, and dream jewelry!!!  I am very very happy to make your aquaintances!! 
The works I've seen so far here are really beautiful.  I look forward to getting to know you all and maybe learning some things along the way.  I'm just so happy to find this here!   

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 05:53:22 AM »
chantillyviolin I know what you mean about steampunk, I have had a recent obsession with it and plan on making a new jewelry line.
Great to have you.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 07:36:10 AM »
thefamilyjewels I tweeted you today as my Daily Steampunk. It's something I've been doing for a few weeks now, I hope it brings traffic to your Etsy Store.
Andrew

livngoodjewelry

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 07:42:02 AM »
Hi. My name is Jill and I'm a chainmailler. <group: Hi Jill!>   :D

I found chainmaille from an ad for Urbanmaille in a beding magazine a few months after I learned how to make beaded jewelry (in 07). I remember having a stupid grin on my face the whole time I was making that first chain (Byzantine) thinking "holy crap, look at what I can do" I may even have said something to that effect to my hubby. Fortunately he didn't laugh (much) and I've been hooked ever since.

I think my etsy profile describes my journey to jewelry best:

In trying to tap the creative gene I feel I must have inherited from my Mom (the painter) I've tried several different crafts: knitting, basket weaving, drawing, water color painting, cross stitch & embroidery, quilting, stained glass, mosaics, and more. But none "stuck" until I took my first jewelry making class in 2007. After filling up my jewelry box (and my family's) I decided to start sharing my pieces with the world - and was pleasantly surprised that people liked them.

My work combines a variety of techniques including chainmaille, silversmithing, copper etching and heat patinas, beading, resin collages, wire wrapping - and anything else that catches my fancy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 07:44:08 AM by livngoodjewelry »

livngoodjewelry

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 07:45:34 AM »
HA! Just re-read my post - apparently the safety feature on this forum changes any instance of a - s - s  all together - even if it's inside another word - to buttox

so instead of "stained g-l-a-s-s" it reads "stained glbuttox"

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:35:06 AM »
Sorry Jill that's my fault. I put some security in place for your standard curse words. I may have gone to far with ass. I took the sensor off. I just want to make sure this place stays family friendly.
Andrew

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 09:20:35 AM »
Hi everyone!

My name is Kimberly and I am the other half of ChainmailleByMBOI.  Andrew and I have been making chainmaille for a few years now in addition to Makinthebestofit which is my painted glass side of things...what can I say...crafters ADD won't let me stick to one thing.

Looking forward to talking to all of you.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:26:48 AM »
other half
Thanks honey I figured you would of went with the general majority as being my BETTER half :D

Offline AmongTheRuins

• must create!
    • View Profile
    • AmongTheRuins
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 09:30:08 AM »
LOL to the "buttox"!!!
And being the "better half" goes without saying.  ;-)
but seriously, I am very glad to have found you all here, and on your first day!!  Maybe I can actually keep up!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 09:40:21 AM »
LOL to the "buttox"!!!
And being the "better half" goes without saying.  ;-)
but seriously, I am very glad to have found you all here, and on your first day!!  Maybe I can actually keep up!

Goes without saying huh.................... walks away grumbling and kicking the dirt like a two year old :P