Author Topic: Business card critique  (Read 5857 times)

myeuropeantouch

Re: Business card critique
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »
I believe that you can import your image to the Avery program.  I have not tried in a long time because I still have a lot of cards from Vista, but I know that there is an import logo section.  If I have a minute today, I will go into my program and check it out and let you know later today, if that's okay.

I just tried it out, Pam, works like a charm....I love it... :D thank you for the tip...

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »

I think your card is beautiful, but I don't care for the writing over the picture. COuld you put the picture to one side or across the top and your info below or to the side of it? The one pictured here is my card for my store.  The back is blank. They are from Vista Print.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »
Well there you go, It works like a charm.  You are welcome Monika.  I use Avery for many many things and have since it first came out, using in my various offices always.  It has lots of applicaitons.

Offline wingnscales

• View Profile
    • Wings N Scales
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 03:14:46 PM »
Hi... Here is my two cents...LOL  I like the background picture, it is very beautiful.  I suggest though that you lighten the image.  You dont want your photo to over power the card.  I do like the fancy font for your title, but the smaller letters are still not that clear to me.  I would use a crisp clean and simple font such as Veranda, Book Antiqua, Bell,Cambria and even plain ole Times New Roman.  If you want, and really dont mind doing this...you can send me your picture and info and I can whip up a card for you.  You dont have to use what I make for you but if you like it you can...  I dont mean no disrespect of offense, I like to help out with what I can.  I love to play with photoshop and make stuff like this...

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
I agree that the writing does not look good across the picture.  I'm going to try to put a cropped version across the top and the writing below it, maybe with a very pale pastel background instead of stark white.  I kept the fancy font for the title since that is the one I use on my banner.  I might be easier to read if I didn't have it across the image.  The image does kind of overpower the card.  I like the image, but I think it would be better to have a smaller version at the top and plain background with the writing below it.  I also need to try out different fonts to see which one looks best.  The one I used for the second version was Vagabond. 

Thank you for the offer wingnscales.  I really appreciate it.  No offense taken.  I also like playing around in Photoshop, and would like to keep working on it to see what I can come up with.  This is my first try at designing a business card, so it will be a learning experience for me.

You all have given me some good ideas and some things to think about.  Thank you so much for the advice! 

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »
Happy to help! I love your picture and having the writing across detracts from that beauty. And it makes it hard to read. One thing I have discovered is that if people can't read it in a nano second, they aren't going to most likely. Pretty fonts are fine, but keep it clear and easy to read. I do like the one for your shop name already and it keeps things consistent. It'll be nice to see the finished product!

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »
I think I've come a long way from my first try.  See what you think of this one.  I changed the second font to an easier to read one but kept the fancier font for my shop name since that is part of my shop logo.

Teresa, I took some ideas from your card and added my name and cell phone number.  Does anyone else put their cell phone on business cards?  I think it's a good idea for customers to be able to contact you, but for online sellers, is that a good idea?

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »
I like the latest version of your card, I have my cell phone # on my cards because I use them at shows and to promote my wares and it has paid off at times! I have heard it said that you should give away at least 250 cards every 90 days... I am not giving anywhere near that but I do try to give them out!

Offline wingnscales

• View Profile
    • Wings N Scales
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 11:55:16 PM »
Wow...not that is far better, so pretty.  You got your beautiful picture in there and now you can really see your words...Love it!  It has taken me several trial and errors to get my business cards perfect...well..perfect for me!  LOL 
Glad to help!   ^-^

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 01:41:11 AM »
Love the card.  It looks really good, has the picture that you wanted to keep and the shop name is consistent and the other words are easily read.

As for cell phone #'s.  I do have mine on my cards now, but plan to change that with the next set of cards since I now have google phone which forwards to my cell if I am not at computer but I can see and hear all voice mails if I am at home and at computer to check mail etc plus they can text to that number and it comes to google.  Thi.s way, my cell number will remain private and buyers can still contact me.

Good work Shari

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »
Thank you all for your help.  Since I saved the background separately, I can now design this card to the best size for any card type.  It's just a matter resizing the background and taking the original photo and cropping it to fit the size of the template and adding the writing.  I want the photo to remain crisp and clear, so I always start with the original. 

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 12:22:32 PM »
I like your last card, easier to read and with the phone number anyone can get in touch with you-you never know when your product might find it's way to the hands of a non-computer user ;)

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 01:16:47 PM »
Thanks for the help and advice about the phone number. 

Pam, which Avery program are you using, the online printing, downloadable program, or a template?  The downloadable one does not have my cards in it.  It is call limited edition, so I suppose that means it is limited as to what you can do in it.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 01:34:37 PM »
It looks fantastic! Bright, easy to read, eye catching!  :)

As for phone numbers, I've seen some use home numbers, (not a good idea IMO) mobile numbers, email.  Since the one I showed is for my physical store, I felt that the more contact places the better. I have MANY sellers at this store who don't have any type of card. I think if you sell something, you should have a card. Doesn't have to be fancy, but something.

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »
Thanks for the help and advice about the phone number. 

Pam, which Avery program are you using, the online printing, downloadable program, or a template?  The downloadable one does not have my cards in it.  It is call limited edition, so I suppose that means it is limited as to what you can do in it.
Go to this url and there should be a download for the program, once on your computer you should be able to select whatever you want and you should also be able to upload your photo and fonts.  Let me know if this helps.
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-&-Software/Software/Avery-Wizard-for-Microsoft-Office.htm