Author Topic: Business card critique  (Read 5850 times)

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
Business card critique
« on: March 01, 2013, 06:41:34 AM »
I designed a simple business card to fit the size of a Moo mini card.  I used the photo I use for my shop and put basic information on it.  What do you think?  Do I need more information, a better format?  This is my first attempt at a business card.  It would have the same design on both sides of the card.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Business card critique
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:10:59 AM »
I'm really not good with this.
For me the font is a bit hard to read.
The other thought for me is that maybe you should have a piece or your work.
I would rather hear some others opinions though

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
The card is beautiful and I like the scenery.  I happen to think it fits with the name of your shop.  However I do agree with Andrew regarding the font, but only in the Handmade Ceramics part.  It looks like Sandmade to me.  Or am I wrong.

The rest, the only thing that I might change if it were me, would be to remove a bit of the greenery.  Perhaps do a crop to get a bit of that out and then enhance the river rock portion of the card.  That would be a nice look and still have some of the greenery in it as well.  As for a piece of your work, that works as well, except that your ceramics can be almost anything and you don't want to limit the imagination of the person to whom the card would be given.

Like Andrew, I am not great at this, just my opinion.  I too would like to hear others viewpoint.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:31:54 PM »
I like the card, conveys your branding with the background picture.
I print my own cards so have nothing fancy, but I do add my P.O. Box address and phone number for the customers that don't "do computer stuff"
I also leave the back of my card blank-I use that side to add labels and info when I use them as labels on my yarn, hats, etc. Gives a potential customer a place to note what they were looking at too.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
May I suggest you use two different fonts?  The really artsy looking font for your business name, and then a more classic and easily read font for the rest of the information.  This way, one shows your personality through a more interesting font, while the other ensures that they will be able to read the information you are giving them. Also, the difference in fonts will make your business name stand out more and catch people's attention better.

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:14:07 PM »
I like Narrina's idea of two different fonts, also a phone number would be a good idea.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:58:37 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  I agree with the two font idea.  The artsy one is the one I use for my shop banner, so I just used it throughout.  I'll give the two fonts a try to see which one looks best with the shop name.  I also initially had my cell phone number on it but took it off, not sure if that was a good idea.

I used the banner picture because that fits the name of the shop and was actually one of the areas that inspired the name.  I don't want potential buyers to see one or two items and think that is all I make too. 

Since the site printed both sides, I thought I would go with that, but having the back blank is a good idea too.  They have a special for 100 cards if you pay shipping.  Of course, they also include their watermark on the side somewhere unless you pay full price, which I don't like.  Has anyone gotten the free moo mini cards?  If so, does the watermark stand out too much?

I bought some blank business cards to try to print my own, but the blanks can only be used with certain software.  I need to play around more with the software I have to get what I want.  I thought this free mini card offer might be something to use until I get can get that worked out.

Back to work to implement some of your idea. :)

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:07:20 PM »
You can download Avery Denison software for free.  Just follow the prompts for the wizard and then you will see a list of various sizes of labels, name tags, etc , scroll til you find business cards and you will see a preview of the size on the right hand side of the window.  That is what I use for business cards when I can't get a free deal from Vista.  This way you can create your logo and it will let you upload it to the software and use it whenever.  Not sure if this would work for you, but worth a shot, its free.

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 11:16:12 PM »
I use vistaprint...They often run specials on price (like free but you pay shipping) I think I paid nine bucks for 500 cards...

Offline meredeth11

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 02:50:59 AM »
Love scenery you chose from nature very much, it can bring me much peace from inner heart, but thought if the websites and email box is more invisible to not be put in the center, it would be better. Well, I am not good at it as well, you can just ignore it!  ^-^
Hope you can figure out your satisfying design soon!
Believe, Wait, Accept and Love all beauties happened in life patiently and piously.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »
I put the writing further up the card because the print was not showing well on the water area.  That's why I added more trees to the top and cropped the water out a bit.  I'll have to work on the font color.  I wanted to have more water and rocks in the picture but the print shows up better on the green. 

I'll look for the Avery Denison software.  I designed the card in Photoshop and just used the entire image for the card.   Can you do that with the software...just import a jpg? 

It's a work in process, and I will get  something that works...just need to try different ideas.

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 09:51:50 AM »
I believe that you can import your image to the Avery program.  I have not tried in a long time because I still have a lot of cards from Vista, but I know that there is an import logo section.  If I have a minute today, I will go into my program and check it out and let you know later today, if that's okay.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 10:05:59 AM »
I also get my business cards from Vistaprint. They are fairly well priced and, as Dragonclaw mentioned, they do run specials fairly often.  Also, they have a very good selection of styles, and I they also have the option to from scratch design your own with your own images, layout, etc.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »
Beadthing, which Avery program do you use?  I saw a few different ones on their site. 

I made some changes...more water and rocks, less trees, two fonts and colors to make it show up better .  See what you think.  I'm not crazy about the black font but it was the color that showed up the best.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 12:28:06 PM »
I like the two fonts and colors, much easier to read.
My cards are my avatar on the left side of the front with my info on the other. I print them on different colored pastel card stock, spray them with a fixative (to prevent running of labels at damp shows) and slice them to size on a paper cutter. My microsoft picture editor has a 10 up option in the print multiples section that I use, so made the card to size and clicked and drag to fill it. If you buy the regular business card packets there should be a link to the proper avery templates, there is for the labels I use on my candles.