Author Topic: Fun with my torch  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
Fun with my torch
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
I've really been enjoying the new torch I bought last year :) and just wanted to post what I've been up to with it.  Some of these I made last year but hadn't gotten around to posting them yet.

Sterling silver, Petoskey Stone, and Aventurine Half Persian 3-1 Extra (borderline micromaille) chainmaille and silver-smithing bracelet. Handmade, open-backed cabochon prong settings.

Sterling silver, Moonstone, and Aventurine Half Persian 3-1 micromaille and silver-smithing earrings. Handmade, open-backed cabochon prong settings.

Inspired by the form of the Scottish dirks and Scottish dirk kilt pins, this stunning sterling silver chainmaille necklace is entirely woven by hand with each ring is also entirely handmade. The necklace is a Half Persian 4-1 weave chainmaille necklace with Black Onyx and Garnets interspersed on the chain. The centerpiece of the necklace is an Orthoceris fossil and a .75 carat oval faceted Garnet; settings for both stones are open-backed and entirely handmade. The clasp is an S-hook clasp and has been hammered in the centered for added detail. (This was my first time making a setting for a cut stone; up until this piece I'd only ever made settings for oval cabochons.)

Sterling silver European 4in1 chainmaille bracelet with a hand embossed copper sheet centerpiece. The copper was textured by hamming wire swirls onto it and then was coloured using Prismacolor pencils. The clasp is a three-ring hook-and-eye clasp and entirely hand smithed.

Offline aimeesrockworks

• View Profile
    • Aimee's Rock Works
Re: Fun with my torch
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »
Oh great, now I have to wipe drool off my keyboard.

FleurDeLee

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:23:16 PM »
Wow! These are beautiful!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 12:45:13 AM »
You have literally made my jaw drop.

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 01:38:09 AM »
WOW!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:57:05 AM »
Amazing!  You have gotten really good!  But then again, your work is always amazing.

I love my torch and finally got it out again last night.  Not ready to put up any of my pieces yet but been having a ball playing around with some ideas for later.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »
Thank you all so much!!!  :D

Smithing is soooooo much fun. I have about 5 other smithing projects that I'm working on right now.  Can't wait to finish them.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 03:48:20 PM »
They are beautimus.... :D

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »
Beautiful work.  I have had a mini torch for over a year now and have not tried to do anything with it yet.  I have to get a fire brick or something I think and HD and Lowes don't seem to carry them, not sure where to go to get it or what else I may be able to use.  Once that is fixed then I will start to practice around with it. 

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »
Thank you!

Pam, what I use is a hard charcoal block from Rio Grande.  Works great.  The 'fire bricks' at the hardware stores are NOT what you need.  They are meant for absorbing heat and are used around firesurrounds, what you need is something that will reflect the heat back to the source rather than leach the heat away from it. The hardware fire bricks are different than the fire bricks that jewelry supply stores sell and won't work for soldering; you can, however, build a kiln out of them.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 05:10:59 AM »
What I like is the position of the half round prongs.  I will have to try putting the round side toward the setting (with a groove in the setting edge) to have the flat side out on the prong.  I have been soldering the flat side to the setting, with the half round out on the prong.  I like the look that your prongs have.  Thanks for showing the great work.
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:27:08 AM »
Thank you!  Actually, the cab prongs are flat on both sides. I made them from round wire that I hammered flat.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »
Thanks for the info about the firebrick.  See, I don't know anything about this yet, but I will keep asking questions til I do. 

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 10:10:42 AM »
Happy to help!  I made a similar mistake when I first got a torch.  I tried using a ceramic tile to solder on because some places I'd read said you could use a ceramic tile; however, I had the wrong kind.  I had one that was, again, meant for a fire-surround and so would leach heat away from where I needed it to be.  Absolutely nothing would solder on it.  Someone at the silversmithing workshop I took a couple year back asked the instructor about those fire bricks at the hardware store and was told they weren't the same kind as the jeweler's fire brick.  Another in that class had a while pile of them they had intended to use for soldering blocks; I think she decided to build a kiln out of them instead as they wouldn't work for anything else.