Author Topic: Items That Won't Sell  (Read 927 times)

Offline TheAlchemistsVessel

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
Items That Won't Sell
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
I am about to become very unpopular around here. 

Don't bash me on my cyber head, this is an honest opinion from the voice of experience.  I'm not saying items are not appropriate or even quality or well thought out and lovely, what I am saying is they are a poor choice to base a business product line on for a shop.

When I began making jewelry and when I started the business, I focused solely on Zodiac and Birthstone jewelry. 

People - It just doesn't sell!

Stuff with you Birth sign, Sun Sign, Astrological Sign, doesn't sell, or it doesn't sell well. Not only do most people not know their sign, they get it wrong, or they get their birthstone wrong.  Having tried this for ten years, with variations on a  theme and business sections or names, "Zodiaccessories" (which is also a Water Filter Company Zodi Accessories), "AstroloGems", and any number of other names and product lines, I can tell you from experience that these items do not and will never sell.

I still have over 200 Sterling Silver Charms in the Astrological or Sun Sign Pictoglyphs (that is what your symbol is called), stamped 925 and ready for jewelry or someone else's work.  From Aries to Sagittarius, expressly made for jewelry, I made earrings, charm bracelets, necklaces, I even tried selling the charms in groups as supplies, and individually for personal use. I have only sold one (1) item in the ten years I have been slinging silver.  The Zodiac is not a product to base a business on.

I have been seeing a lot of Zodiac stuff pop up, and am concerned that people will think it is the site that is not doing anything when in fact it is the product they have offered.  It is a shame and a pity, but it doesn't sell well any where.  I would like to wish those that have put their products up much luck, and better luck than I had, I hope the items sell like hotcakes, really I do.

Begin the beatings about the head and shoulders, just not in the face please.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Re: Items That Won't Sell
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:27:12 AM »
My dear, I would never bash you for saying that!  I have a bit of a different take in that I believe that most items have a niche market and the trick to to find it...that is the rub.  Most people will make something and not do the work to find their market and then wonder why it doesn't sell.  It is easier now with the internet and groups based around things I didn't even know existed to find...the trick is to find them and market to them. 

My thought is if you make something and don't target that market base, then you are right and will end up with piles of pieces and parts that you can't do anything with.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:24:52 AM »
I happen to agree with both points of view.  I know Zodiac items don't sell well, I also know that jewelry is an extremely difficult market to find a niche in to begin with because the market is soooooooo saturated with jewelry.  I have had no sales in the nearly year I have been here, but I like what I do and I do quality work, so I am planning to stick with it, but also to expand on my line of items as well as to hopefully create a new shop for the expansion in products that my daughter and I are working on.  It takes time for us, you know, sometimes life just gets in the way.

Offline TheAlchemistsVessel

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:53:39 AM »
We have a large Pagan population here in Idaho, and I do cater to some of them, I make "energy" bracelets and "healing" jewelry, use the metaphysical attributes given to a stone etc... it takes a lot of brain power to do all that, and occasionally it makes my head hurt.  I thought that the niche market was there, and when I started there wasn't anything like what I was doing available in stores, I even made T-shirts and drew original designs (see one below) so they wouldn't be boring. But I didn't sell one, not even as a Sleep Shirt. Sigh ;(

Pam I am right there with you expand, try new things, see what flies, see what flops.

I have to agree with MBOI as well, there is a market for everything, somewhere.

Original "Aries" sign glyph by Alix, these were printed on T-Shirts, cards, and used to make a mold or two for charms.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:14:45 AM »
Oddly, I get it.  Here's what happens in my head, from a consumer's POV.  I like stuff with the Leo symbol on it.  I'm drawn to it, look at it all the time.  Think, "That's cool, I should get that." Then I think, "When would I wear it?" and the answer is always pretty much never.  I like it, want it, but don't buy it.  On the other hand, I do have some Pagan friends I'd get it for as gifts.  But that's it, really.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »
I'm like Larissa. I'm Gemini and think the stuff is often (not always) pretty cool. But I would not wear it. Maybe when I was a teenager, but not now. I have some of that in the store (Not mine) and have only sold 1 piece.

AS for expanding, I think part of my problem is I'm all over the place. No real focus, but that's the way I am. I like a lot of different things.