Author Topic: Copyrght violations  (Read 11598 times)

Offline Beth

• View Profile
Re: Copyrght violations
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »
Angel policies?

Angel Policies are kind of like the trademark policies.  If you work with paper, cutters, punches, really anything to do with cards... on their websites, they have their angel policies posted. 

And like I said earlier, some paper companies only allow you to use their paper for personal use, scrapbooking, etc.  You cannot sell things made with their paper.  And yet some allow you to make "X number" of them to sell but no more than that.

Other things, like punches, especially Martha Stewart and K&Company and almost all rubber stamp companies...can't use theirs at all for cards you plan on selling. 

I understand some of it and like I said earlier, there are many "Gray" areas where the language could be interpreted many different ways. 

Offline CherokeeLodge

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 09:03:36 AM »
Interesting to know.  Thanks!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 09:14:11 AM »
That's kind of... lame.  I mean, I can see recognizable characters.  I wouldn't use Disney paper to make a card to sell. But with something less identifiable it seems kind of silly.  It also seems like these companies would seriously increase their sales if they allowed the sale of items made from their products.

As an aside, I find it amusing that an ex-con presumes to lay down rules for others.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 11:38:42 AM »
I agree that some of it is quite lame. I really wonder how many people actually know that they shouldn't be doing that stuff. Is there something on the packge when they purchase whatever product that states "You can not sell any item made using this product." Seriously.

Offline Roziespearls

• Newborn & Toddler Bracelets
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
I was just reading this and I have bibs and burp towel ( winnie the Pooh ) for sale. I'll tell you why in didn't remove them from my Etsy shop. I read a post in Etsykids that said Etsy had changed there policy on copyright. They are basically allowing shops to sell but, the seller is solely respondsable for any action. I left the items listedin both shops. I think i will just deactivate everything. All that material and money gone to waste.  :(

Tress

Offline Roziespearls

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »
I was just thinking about making them into pouches. We give away a pouch with every sale. I can do that right?

Tress

Offline YankeeBurrowCreations

• View Profile
    • Yankee Burrow
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »
Larissa... :laugh:
Beth...I just don't see how a supplier of tools can tell you how to use the tool after you pay for it...just plain stupid.  >:)
Roziespearls....I can't imagine giving away the pouches would be an infringement.  You're not making money on it.  But maybe you can't advertise it??? ???
Debbi

Offline Roziespearls

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
The whole thing is just plain stupid. I can see copying a persons product know matter how big but buying material from a shopping center that you don't even want to buy from and making something. I see nothing wrong with that. These big companies are more worried about money then any thing. Sueing someone over a $3.00 item. Worried their not gonna get their what .25 cents.

Tress

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 01:15:21 PM »
The whole thing is just plain stupid. I can see copying a persons product know matter how big but buying material from a shopping center that you don't even want to buy from and making something. I see nothing wrong with that. These big companies are more worried about money then any thing. Sueing someone over a $3.00 item. Worried their not gonna get their what .25 cents.

Tress

Frankly, Winnie the Pooh is everywhere and I don't believe they are as crazy about the copyright stuff like Disney is. I would leave them listed but keep an eye out on them.

Offline Roziespearls

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »
Hi Beth, I know they own Pooh seems like Disney owns everything. Before we moved to Arkansas Randy and I both lived 30 min. from Disney. Randy was born there and live lived there for almost 25 yrs. My best Friend works for them used to get free tickets all the time. They come after a person for copyright but they are good to their employees. I'll never forget this for one year they run a insentive anyone willing to work overtime would earn free meal tickets to any Disney Restraunt. Paula worked on the average of 20hrs over a week. Earning her 2 tickets a week. Tickets worth up to $300.00 for two. She took me to a wonderful restraunt the bill came to $250.00 and some change. including the tip. We ended up going back with my Dad. This was right after my mom passed about 10 yrs ago. I guess my point is that they gave all those free meals away but, they might go after the little man over a few dollars. It really doesn't make much business sense does it? I deleted all the listing and I'm just going to leave it that way.

Tress

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 05:09:53 PM »
Hate to break it to you Teresa, but Disney owns Pooh.

You're right. I forgot about that. :-[

Offline Roziespearls

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
No worries Hope you liked my story. I was bord so thought i would share Alittle story. You she earned 40 tickets that year. Just so everyone knows the food and service was wonderful. We actually save have of each meal for the Boys. They stayed home. We each got an app. salad main source and dessert. We had the best time. Took my mind off losing my mom. hope everyone is having a good evening. Wrestling in 30 min.  8)

Tress

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 08:52:19 PM »
Does Disney own ALL Pooh, or just the modern/well-known imagery?  There's classic Pooh too, which is from the old book illustrations.  And technically it seems that someone could rework Pooh into their own image/design/concept if Disney doesn't own the NAME "Pooh."

On an aside, I got a call a couple days ago from someone who wanted me to face paint at a party, but come as Minnie Mouse.  Um... NO.  Disney will absolutely go after entertainers who do that.  Not on your life is it worth it to me.