Author Topic: Which websites r the best for selling the handmade crafts?  (Read 4827 times)

spicygirl

Which websites r the best for selling the handmade crafts?
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »
Hey guys!
Can you please help me to find the best websites to sell my crafts though the internet (appart from the obvious once as ebay etc). Preferably these websites should be with really low fees.
Thank you.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
Re: Which websites r the best for selling the handmade crafts?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:08:14 PM »
Well, to start with, there's here.  Andrew has done a great job with making a handmade marketplace and the fees are likely going to be the lowest you will find.  There's also Etsy and Artfire, however, those sites do have a lot of issues and a lot of sellers are fleeing them.  There are also a great many other online marketplaces (try a Google search and I'm sure a lot of different sites will pop up).  Personally, I'd recommend Handmade Artists, but whatever you decide remember that you will still need to do a lot of promoting.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:25:25 PM »
I have had shops on both ETSY and ARTFIRE, I have been a guild master on ARTFIRE, and a MAVEN.  I have left both venues because I found their management staff to not be in line with my ethics.  They have none.  ETSY will eat your money with their charges, ARTFIRE is no longer cheap.

I have looked at STORENVY, very difficult to even figure out how to create a store and/or maintain one.  Not expensive, just horrible to work in.  You can spend a lot to make the site friendlier.

I have had a free standing personal website for my business, way too hard to maintain and work with.  I don't speak HTML.

HAFshops are easy to set up, maintain and work with.  There are many folk, including the administration, that are readily available to assist and answer questions.  Look at what is happening to your query now.  Andrew and Kimberly are always friendly, and rapidly respond to questions, concerns or suggestions.  In fact, I wonder how they have lives.    I now have only one shop, it is here, and it shall always be my online venue.  Also the cost is easy to figure out, and it is not expensive.  If you have any questions, or need further information, please feel free to contact me (or the Kitchens).

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:34:28 PM »
Gemlover has said it all.  If you want ease of use and great support and promotion, I would go with a shop here at Handmade Artists' Shops.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:49:26 AM »
There are a lot of sites out there, but none of them will give you what Handmade Artists does.  Your listings are promoted on Twitter, Facebook, and a lot of other sites.  No other site will do that for you. 

I have a shop on Etsy, but I am only there because I get inside traffic and more sales there so far, although I have had two sales this year here and nothing on Etsy.  As sales here pick up, I will be transitioning off of Etsy and using my shop there to send people here.  I have a generic message there that I have more on another venue and to contact me to get around Etsy's rule about mentioning other sites where you sell...another thing I don't like.  The new listings I have put in my shop here are not on Etsy, and some items on Etsy will not be renewed if they don't sell by the time the listings expire..  I don't like the lack of ethics on Etsy either.  The resellers have taken over and Etsy allows it because the resellers make them a lot of money.

I used to be on Artfire, but I left because it was too expensive and also unethical.  Many resellers on that site too.

I have a free shop on Zibbet, but there are many limitations to the free account.  I don't do much with it, and have only gotten one sale there, but it is another place to get my items seen if people don't only look at the front page (you never get on the front page except in the recently listed section with a free account).  I found a way around the front page issue and unlist and relist to get in the recently listed section. :)

I have looked into some other sites since it's never good to put all your eggs in one basket, but I didn't find any I liked enough to try. I have accounts with some " make your own store"  sites but have not done much with them yet mainly because their shipping features would not work with my items.

Offline Roxy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »
I totally agree with angelagreen, ezebee is a good site to sell your stuff and its free! Its  a quite new site but there are many shops and users yet.. so check it out!!  :)

Offline jilly123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »
Ezebee for the win!
Great to meet fellow ezebee fans on here, btw add me haha @jilplahuta
And I agree with everyone, ezebee is going to be the new hype and the sooner you install your shop there too, the better ;)

Offline ArtfulFolkStainedGlass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:28:46 AM »
Well, it depends.

If you actually want to SELL your products it's hard to beat Etsy.

I've had "shops" at any number of different sites (here, Bonanza, Zibbet. . . ) and have had a total of ONE sale at any of them in months.  Plus, subscriptions can get pricey. 

I average two sales a week on Etsy, one sale a week on E-bay.

If you want to have good communication and support I'd look elsewhere, though.

On the other hand, if online "selling" is your social outlet, look for a site with active message boards, hands-on administration, core group of participants.

Both selling and social are valid -- but don't complain about slow sales if you aren't going to pursue actively SELLING.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 07:56:19 PM »
The key to selling your products is to promote your shop no matter where you sell.   If you promote the Etsy shop more than the other sites, then more people will find your shop there than on other venues.  It seems that people who say that they don't get sales on other venues are not promoting the other venues, only Etsy.  My business is still very young, so I don't get a regular sales anywhere yet, but I have had two sales here this year and nothing on Etsy. 

Offline DeesseBoutique

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 02:57:44 AM »
I think it pays to have perhaps 3 shops in different locales.

I too did Ebay (back when it started no less), Ecrater, ArtFire, 2 or 3 others I can't even remember the names of now ... and of course Etsy.
I have also created and maintained my own website for about 18 years now (I do speak HTML) but it is so time consuming and aggravating that I just quit doing it and started using a blog widget to update my front page.

But - now there are so many well organized website / shopping cart providers out there it is well worth putting one up (and redirecting your custom domain name to point to it).

StoreEnvy is actually one of the ones I would recommend. Once you learn how the sections work it is truly a breeze - and - it integrates with a very nice inventory management system called Stitch - www.stitchlabs.com . That alone makes it worth using StoreEnvy. When I create a product category in StoreEnvy - it is automatically duplicated in my Stitch inventory and that is priceless.

I also tried out Shopify for the same reason (it integrates with Stitch) but the free trial wasn't functional (just playground time, you couldn't get any orders processed) and the minimum $29 per month fee didn't get me anything more than being able to integrate my own Credit card processor. That isn't that important since Paypal payment processing now doesn't require the customer to join Paypal

PS - Forgot to mention another big reason to use StoreEnvy, there is a widget that in 60 seconds links it to your Facebook page with NO effort on your part. Every time yo add a new product it shows up on your Facebook Shop page (a button pops up in the section where you see you Likes, Map etc at the top of the page).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:02:01 AM by DeesseBoutique »

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 04:55:32 AM »
Have you looked at StorEnvy lately?  It's ALL imported/retail.  But it doesn't pretend to be a handcrafted site, so there's no complaint to be made.  I wouldn't invest a lot of time in it, either.

Offline Brusheswithaview

• View Profile
    • www.brusheswithaview.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 06:04:40 AM »
Good Morning
I have a question regarding  Facebook pages .  Right now I don't have a web site I have customers that want to see my work . I post all my orders and items for sale on Facebook Most of which are custom made. If someone doesn't have a Facebook page they cant see my products . How do I allow them to look at them without signing up for Facebook ?  Do I make a free web site ? I was at the store yesterday purchasing wine glasses  for a state trooper party and a customer wanted to know what I was doing with all of them. I told her I hand painted wine glasses . She took my card and is interested in me doing party favors for her but  I am not sure how she can see my products to see what I can do.
Thank you in advance for your help
www.facebook.com/brusheswithaview
Ann

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 09:04:22 AM »
If you're just showing people a gallery & don't intend to use it as an actual shop or to independently draw people to your business, I'd probably do it in blog format.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
You don't have to have a Facebook page to view someone's Facebook page.

You have your Etsy shop on your facebook page.  Why not just send them to your Etsy shop?  Or open a shop here.  Or to a Flickr page.  Or post more photos on your Facebook page. . .

You're giving out business cards -- where are you directing interested parties now?

Offline Brusheswithaview

• View Profile
    • www.brusheswithaview.com
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 10:09:07 AM »
thanks for all your answers . When I try search for my page not signed it and click on photos I get a pop up saying you must sign in to view more pic . Maybe its the setting I am not sure. I have a etsy shop and a shop here.  I a lot of custom glasses . there would be no point in listing them because they are custom made ones for clients . My business cards do say my Facebook page.
 Thanks Larissa I will try to do it in blog format . Did you get a chance to look at my page ?