Author Topic: Sterling Silver Explosion  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
Sterling Silver Explosion
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
Hi, all!  I'm still alive, just haven't posted in quite a while.  Been busy getting ready for a Fine Art show I have next week (eek!).  I got so tired of buying sterling silver wire in small amounts and ended up placing the largest order of sterling silver I've ever done at one time: 36 troy ounces split between 16ga, 18ga, 20ga, 22ga, and 24ga wire. Sooooooooo much fun!!

Sterling silver Arts & Crafts (circa 1860-1910) inspired chainmaille necklace. Acute Mandala and wire-wrapped Amethyst geode centerpiece with freshwater pearl and a Bee Stings variant I'm calling Bee's Nest.

Sterling silver and freshwater pearl Bee's Nest weave chainmaille and wire-work bracelet. Arts & Crafts and Victorian inspiration. All the S-hooks have been hammered for added detail.

Sterling silver Moria weave bracelet. All the rings are handmade as well as the clasp. The S-hook clasp has been hammered for extra detail. Moria is one of my own weaves.

Art Deco inspired Dragonscale and Byzee Helm chainmaille necklace. The necklace is made of sterling silver, Black Onyx, and Rock Crystal. Rock Crystal is the term used for transparent, colourless Quartz (as apposed to Quartz that is milky or translucent to opaque).  Byzee Helm is one of my own weaves.

Sterling silver, freshwater pearl, and Amethyst Acute Mandala earrings.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
Re: Sterling Silver Explosion
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
Whew! Beautiful as always! Good luck at your show :)

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
Thank you!  I'm always so nervous before a show.
No need for nerves with your work  ;)

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 04:28:46 PM »
very nice work.  I love chain.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »
Lovely work! I've never bought that much silver at one time, maybe 10-12 ounces at a pop, so thats really cool! Shared of course! 8)

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »
Thank you!  This the is largest amount of sterling silver wire I've ever bought at one time.  Before this I was only getting at most 5 ounces at one time which really isn't much when you use so many different wire gauges.   Needless to say, I've been setting aside for that order for a long time.  It's great to be able to make some larger pieces with sterling and not have to be so careful about how much wire I use.  This order should last me quite a while.  ;D

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 05:58:15 PM »
Other then I like working with silver, it is tough making a good profit from it as the price has went up so much, when we were buying at $20 an ounce, now well over $30 an ounce I believe. I can't remember exactly what it cost.
That is one reason why we like working in copper so much, you can make a better profit I believe especially if you sell it along side of silver. Our silver pieces are higher of course but not proportionately to our copper prices. We reduce the price of our copper pieces of course but not quite as much if that makes sense as it is still just as labor intensive as silver.

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »
These are beautiful! love all the chains.
Other then I like working with silver, it is tough making a good profit from it as the price has went up so much, when we were buying at $20 an ounce, now well over $30 an ounce I believe. I can't remember exactly what it cost.
That is one reason why we like working in copper so much, you can make a better profit I believe especially if you sell it along side of silver. Our silver pieces are higher of course but not proportionately to our copper prices. We reduce the price of our copper pieces of course but not quite as much if that makes sense as it is still just as labor intensive as silver.
Andrew, that is why I seldom buy silver now. Luckily for me I bought a lot when the price was really low ( less than $20 and ounce), so Now, I am trying to use up all the stock I have and also use more copper.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 08:17:01 AM »
Thank you, Colette!

I usually buy all my silver from Monsterslayer, but this time I bought from a company in Israel. For some reason, their wire costs a lot less then sterling wire in the U.S. and with orders above a certain amount the shipping is free. I'm actually hoping that next year I'll be able to buy some solid gold wire, but we'll see how this year goes .

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »
Absolutely freakin' gorgeous!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 08:29:01 AM »
Beautiful work as always! I would so love to buy silver again, but it is not in the budget.  :(

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 03:26:52 AM »
They are all fantastic - especially like the dragonscale with the black onyx!!
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com