Author Topic: Pricing Question  (Read 5412 times)

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
Re: Pricing Question
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 01:38:30 AM »
Personally I prefer to have the shipping separate. I know that shipping is never really free.

But on the topic of mind games with customers, pricing things with .95 on the end seems to make many think it is cheaper than it is. So pricing something 25.95 will be 'processed' mentally as 25, whereas 25.99 is processed as 26. Not everyone does it, but it seems to be a marketing ploy often used.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »
But on the topic of mind games with customers, pricing things with .95 on the end seems to make many think it is cheaper than it is. So pricing something 25.95 will be 'processed' mentally as 25, whereas 25.99 is processed as 26. Not everyone does it, but it seems to be a marketing ploy often used.

I don't know what others do, but when I see the cents anywhere in the 90's, I round up.  I  never round down no matter what the cents are.  I look at the actual price.  Maybe I am not just not into the marketing gimmicks since I see through them on products that the big companies sell.  I prefer to use round numbers.  Some customers see through the mind games  companies play , others don't.  It depends on the customer whether or not it works. 

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »

I don't know what others do, but when I see the cents anywhere in the 90's, I round up.  I  never round down no matter what the cents are.  I look at the actual price.  Maybe I am not just not into the marketing gimmicks since I see through them on products that the big companies sell.  I prefer to use round numbers.  Some customers see through the mind games  companies play , others don't.  It depends on the customer whether or not it works.

I'm weird and if it's anything over the initial dollar amount I round up  :laugh:  I think it comes from me being the financial person in our house and taking care of bills I just round everything up because I'd rather overestimate than under.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »

I'm weird and if it's anything over the initial dollar amount I round up  :laugh:  I think it comes from me being the financial person in our house and taking care of bills I just round everything up because I'd rather overestimate than under.

I do that when estimating, but look at actual prices for buying unless it is very close to the next dollar amount.  I am also the financial person in the house...and at work. :) 

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »
Why are prices $$.99?  Because, we are the exception.  The vast majority of people in the consumer group do not look to the right of the decimal point.  My wife is one.  She looks at 25.99 and says 25, i look at it and say 26.  then i enter 28 into my calculator because i over estimate the sales tax at the same time.  She would spend several dollars more than I let her, because she only sees the price up to the decimal point.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »
Why are prices $$.99?  Because, we are the exception.  The vast majority of people in the consumer group do not look to the right of the decimal point.  My wife is one.  She looks at 25.99 and says 25, i look at it and say 26.  then i enter 28 into my calculator because i over estimate the sales tax at the same time.  She would spend several dollars more than I let her, because she only sees the price up to the decimal point.

John
I do the same as you John. I look at 25.99 and say 26. I don't get fooled by the .99 part. When I see things being advertised as less than $20.00 at 19.99, I think "Give me a break!" That's 20 bucks, then you add taxes ...

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 05:29:41 AM »

John
I do the same as you John. I look at 25.99 and say 26. I don't get fooled by the .99 part. When I see things being advertised as less than $20.00 at 19.99, I think "Give me a break!" That's 20 bucks, then you add taxes ...

I agree.  I do the same thing.  I'm not fooled by marketing gimmicks, and I always add in the taxes when deciding whether to buy something or not.  It's not the marketing that convinces me to buy...it's the product itself, the price, and whether I can use it or not.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 06:55:09 AM »
Anything over $0.50, I round up in my head.  I prefer to be safer on my estimates.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
I think the answer is that there is no answer!  I've seen some shops do a "free shipping" promotion, only to  notice that what I looked at yesterday that was $10 is now priced at $12.50 - so the shop owner increased the price of everything before starting their 'free shipping' promotion.

I think honesty is best.  If I'm looking for item x and find three that would work that are similarly priced, I'm going to buy the one with the most reasonable shipping cost, and that might not be the cheapest shipping either.  Really cheap shipping charges send up a red flag in my head that there is going to be no care taken in the packaging/shipping aspect of the item.

I think the thing that bugs me more than anything else is low item price and sky high shipping.  When I see that, I won't even visit that site again.  It just completely turns me off.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 04:53:42 PM »
For myself, personally I like the USPS Priority Flat Rate shipping.  It is the same across the country for whichever size box or padded envelope that you use.  That way customers can purchase more than one item and the shipping remains the same as long as it fits in one box.  For instance my shipping profile is for the small box which is $5.35,  I could fit several items in the box or just give it extra padding if customer only purchases one item.  I think it is better deal.  Overseas, a good bit more expensive.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 06:47:38 PM »
For myself, personally I like the USPS Priority Flat Rate shipping.  It is the same across the country for whichever size box or padded envelope that you use.  That way customers can purchase more than one item and the shipping remains the same as long as it fits in one box.  For instance my shipping profile is for the small box which is $5.35,  I could fit several items in the box or just give it extra padding if customer only purchases one item.  I think it is better deal.  Overseas, a good bit more expensive.

I like the priority mail too since some of my items will fit in a medium or large flat rate box.  If not, then I have to resort to parcel post and refund the overage, which is not the best option.  Unfortunately, with the size and weight of most of my items, I can't ship more than one with no extra charge.  I started listing sets based on how many I could fit in a box, but maybe I shouldn't do in case a customer only wants one.  The only exception is the pictures frames, which I can fit two in a box. 

Overseas shipping can sometimes be more expensive than the item, so that is why I only have shipping to U.S. and Canada for now.  I have some large items that I would like to list, but the shipping cost would be a lot, and I don''t know if a customer would be willing to pay what it costs.  When I see low shipping costs stated, I wonder how the seller can shop so cheap when I know that even the postage costs more than what they are listing for the particular item.  Either they are putting part of the shipping in the item cost, they are losing money on the shipping, or they found a cheaper shipping than I am aware of.  If they have, I sure would like to find out about that. :)

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
I know that for the things I would be shipping it would cost no more than $3 because they're pretty small and fit easily into an envelope. 

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »

I like the priority mail too since some of my items will fit in a medium or large flat rate box.  If not, then I have to resort to parcel post and refund the overage, which is not the best option.  Unfortunately, with the size and weight of most of my items, I can't ship more than one with no extra charge.  I started listing sets based on how many I could fit in a box, but maybe I shouldn't do in case a customer only wants one.  The only exception is the pictures frames, which I can fit two in a box. 

Overseas shipping can sometimes be more expensive than the item, so that is why I only have shipping to U.S. and Canada for now.  I have some large items that I would like to list, but the shipping cost would be a lot, and I don''t know if a customer would be willing to pay what it costs.  When I see low shipping costs stated, I wonder how the seller can shop so cheap when I know that even the postage costs more than what they are listing for the particular item.  Either they are putting part of the shipping in the item cost, they are losing money on the shipping, or they found a cheaper shipping than I am aware of.  If they have, I sure would like to find out about that. :)
The only other shipping would be FedEx or DSL or something like that especially overseas.  I know that USPS Priority flat rate is a bit higher and the small box for overseas is $16.95 and Canada is $12.95 or something.  I just did not want to limit it but maybe I should.  I have seen occasions where someone overseas wanted something but had a method of getting it shipped local (USA) and then retrieving it from wherever that would be.  Not sure how that works and it was not me so I did not intrude and ask.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »

The only other shipping would be FedEx or DSL or something like that especially overseas.  I know that USPS Priority flat rate is a bit higher and the small box for overseas is $16.95 and Canada is $12.95 or something.  I just did not want to limit it but maybe I should.  I have seen occasions where someone overseas wanted something but had a method of getting it shipped local (USA) and then retrieving it from wherever that would be.  Not sure how that works and it was not me so I did not intrude and ask.

When I compared prices for Fed Ex, UPS, and USPS, I found that Fed Ex and UPS are much more expensive than USPS.  Also, if you use UPS or Fed Ex for overseas, they will charge an extra fee, which makes it much more expensive.  I agree that the flat rate boxes can be more expensive to some areas, but if you compare USPS parcel post to USPS priority flat rate in the U.S. to the zones furthest from you, flat rate ends up being cheaper and gets there quicker (at least for my items it is).  For closer zones, parcel post can be cheaper but takes longer.  Of course, putting all the variations in a listing can get complicated and you need one shipping cost per listing, not numerous options.  If you ship international and the package is over four pounds, you have to use priority mail.  The only thing I can think of with the local delivery is that the  customer had a local family member who was going to visit them and could take the item with them.   

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »
Perhaps you could have a disclaimer or something in your shipping profile that international shipping may be lower/higher depending on location and weight of shipment.  That way the buyer understands that the cost may be greater.  Not sure if that would work, since they are paying through PayPal and typically that is a static amount in PayPal, unless you invoice separately for the additional shipping charges.  Could create a lot of extra work and headaches though.  Maybe just increase the prices of the items a bit to cover the extra cost. OVerall it will not be necessary for some shipments but not enough on others but should equal out.