Author Topic: Internet slang...  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
Internet slang...
« on: July 05, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »
Yikes... if you look up "CRAFT" on this page of internet slang terms

http://www.internetslang.com/FML.asp

FidelaTresori

Re: Internet slang...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:54:29 PM »
LOL. Well that is applicable here some days. ;0)

Offline Dee38753

• Live life as if there was no tomorrow!
    • View Profile
    • Southern Country Creations
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:00:57 PM »
Well....while I don't use that special word in the slang version....some days it just fits!!!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
The shorter version is on my coffee mug CRS..."Cant remember S***"......... :-\

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:03:12 PM »
My, that definition fits me a lot of the time!

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• The difference between can and do is the doing
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »
I too have problems remembering, I just wish rude words were not implied. If you have to star it out..... I guess I will not use it. I noticed lots of them had that.

FidelaTresori

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »
Words are just words.  People give them too much power sometimes. :shrug:

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:13:19 PM »
I believe words have much power, so I try to chose mine wisely. I figure I have a larger vocabulary than words that need a bleep.

FidelaTresori

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »
But sometimes I like to give mine the power of expression to really convey what I want, what I'm feeling. I don't let myself be restricted when I feel it necessary.   

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 09:31:06 AM »
That was quite the eye opener. Personally I don't mind mild swearing, but the harsher stuff, no thanks. I've always felt that it made a person look stupid because they couldn't come up with a better, real word to use instead. I tried to teach my kids that, but they use the "f" word frequently. I think it may be partly generational. They have however been much more careful about using it in my presence.

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 10:36:47 AM »
This is an interesting discussion, I am far from perfect,  ??? I have small ears that repeat things at the worse possible time  ;D That is a strong teaching about reaping what you sow. One of my granddaughter (12) mentioned one day she had never heard me swear, I didn't realize she was paying attention that close attention to my actions.

Everyone must make their own choices. God knows my heart even if I don't say the words,and what is in a persons heart frequently comes out of the mouth, so I guard mine, I know he is listening.

FidelaTresori

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »
Then I have nothing to worry about.  ;0)

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 05:07:28 PM »
It was not my intent to create any controversy...  :-\

Nancy Pace

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »
Matt, you didn't do anything, a discussion is a good thing:) I had no idea about the slang, I was very surprised.

I don't feel there is a problem, we all have our way of thinking. Don't worry so,all is well.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
People make up lots of slang & acronyms for chat/text purposes.  I was online in the early '90s before there even WAS an internet, and being able to type things out quickly in a chat room was paramount.  Hence the generation of LOL, AFK (away from keyboard), BRB (be right back), LMAO, ROTFL, TTYL (talk to you later), etc.  The more people got into chatting - and even more so texting, especially with flip phones that don't have great keyboards - the more popular and prevalent the acronyms got.  It's been interesting to watch the growth.

I was raised not to curse.  I wasn't allowed to say "bad words," and those included damn, hell, dumb, and stupid.  I think not cursing as a kid, in conjunction with reading voraciously, did help me build a better vocabulary.  Now I've still got the vocabulary but can curse with  the best of 'em.  I actually remember the first time I did.  It was 7th grade, I was waiting for the bus, and I realized my algebra book was missing.  It had been stolen.  My curse was solely exclamatory:  "S---!"

As for whether words have power and whether curses have their place... well, some of you may be familiar with the case Cohen v. California (1971) (http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/comm/free_speech/cohen.html), which started when a guy was arrested for wearing a jacket emblazoned with "F--- the draft!" in a courthouse.  The United States Supreme Court actually overturned his conviction, stating that while he could have worn something like "I hate the draft," or "I'm against the draft," "much linguistic expression serves a dual communicative function: it conveys not only ideas capable of relatively precise, detached explication, but otherwise inexpressible emotions as well. In fact, words are often chosen as much for their emotive as their cognitive force."

So there you go.  If the USSC says so...

;)