Author Topic: Internet slang...  (Read 4591 times)

FidelaTresori

Re: Internet slang...
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »
Yep, Larissa.  I too have an extensive vocabulary that I also attribute to being a voracious reader.  And while I too try to be very considerate of the people and the situation, I have no problem using expletives to convey extreme emotion in given situations, either. LOL

Words are just words, not bad or good in and of themselves, but only have the power with which we load them.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 08:27:42 PM »
Well, I agree with Nancy that words DO have a lot of power, but that's the point.  You WANT them to have power. 

And that's what the Supreme Court said too.  Sometimes the proper emotion just can't be conveyed with substitute words when you want to demonstrate that level of emotion.  And the Court recognized that those words do that.

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 03:39:26 AM »
I must agree with Larissa.  Sometimes, "curse" words express some levels or frustration or anger or another emotion more concisely and precisely than other words.  I have a lot of trouble understanding the extreme reaction that people have to words that do not disparage another person or group of people.  I never cursed until I was in college.  The fuss seems excessive.  If you don't like a word, don't use it.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »
Lisa, you've reminded me, there ARE words I have never and will never say, mostly racial epithets.  I just can't.  The "N word" appeared in a monologue I was doing for an acting class years ago.  It wasn't really necessary to the story, so I got the teacher to let me leave that sentence out.  Otherwise, I'd have found a different monologue.

Nancy Pace

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »
I am thankful to live where everyone is free to decide for themselves how to speak, and Lisa you are so right if you don't like a word don't say it. And I see the point of using certain words to make your feelings better know, to each his own.

I have been an advocate of a clean vocabulary so long, that my grandchildren think stupid,  crazy,dumb,retarded, are bad words :o yes, Larissa, no racial slurs allowed.

The beautiful thing it we are free to make our own choices, we have the internet to learn about other people, we can have a civil discussion and are free to disagree. But at the end we are still friends because we respect other peoples rights ;D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 10:47:22 AM »
Nancy, those were all bad words when I was a kid too.

Nancy Pace

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
Yes, Larissa words can be as hurtful as a club:) I came from the wrong side of the tracks, so I know it does matter how you speak, treat people and present yourself if you want to reach higher goals.
My grandparents only finished 6th & 8th grades, but they were readers, and loved to learn. That opened the door for me to step out of the box and do things with my life they had always thought of  for "other" people not us poor folk.
They also had a strong Christian faith and used the bible as rule book, a gentle rule book, those values still guide me today as a grandparent with Grandchildren nearing college age.

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 05:43:08 AM »
I have more trouble with crazy, dumb and retarded because they are words that wold be hurtful to people who have learning disabilities, who do not speak because they do not hear, or people with mental illnesses. 
Larissa,  I understand why you are against using the N word as am I.  I am also opposed to those who want to censor literature to remove the word.  In the context of many written works, it uniquely expresses a particular level of discrimination.
I am thankful to live where everyone is free to decide for themselves how to speak, and Lisa you are so right if you don't like a word don't say it. And I see the point of using certain words to make your feelings better know, to each his own.

I have been an advocate of a clean vocabulary so long, that my grandchildren think stupid,  crazy,dumb,retarded, are bad words :o yes, Larissa, no racial slurs allowed.

The beautiful thing it we are free to make our own choices, we have the internet to learn about other people, we can have a civil discussion and are free to disagree. But at the end we are still friends because we respect other peoples rights ;D

FidelaTresori

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »
What Lisa said.  Yeah, that's where I am pretty much.  Can't stand any word or words that are used to discriminate against anyone.

There are too many words not classified as bad words necessarily that can be so loaded and harmful when used the wrong way, when people pay too much attention to being offended by "curse words."

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 04:04:57 AM »
What Lisa said.  Yeah, that's where I am pretty much.  Can't stand any word or words that are used to discriminate against anyone.

There are too many words not classified as bad words necessarily that can be so loaded and harmful when used the wrong way, when people pay too much attention to being offended by "curse words."
well said!

My kids swearing occasionally didn't bother me as much as the use of retard, stupid etc -  Those words and racial slurs just weren't allowed.

as for Craft - well , heck now do i have to find another word to use for "craft"?
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com