Author Topic: shop/chat connection  (Read 2283 times)

Offline KilnGoddess

• Clay sings, can you hear it?
    • View Profile
shop/chat connection
« on: June 01, 2012, 03:56:15 PM »
Not sure if it is possible but it would be fab if shops could be linked to the chat profile. Was chatting and would of love to be able to just click and visit fellow chatter's shops.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: shop/chat connection
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Not sure if it is possible but it would be fab if shops could be linked to the chat profile. Was chatting and would of love to be able to just click and visit fellow chatter's shops.

Could you go into a little more detail, not exactly sure what your speaking of.
Thanks

Offline KilnGoddess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 07:54:17 PM »
When you go to chat in the chat room, if you click on the persons name you are chatting with you go to a profile. I screen shot the profile box below. It would be great if we could have a link to our shop in there. Its nice to visit a persons shop while chatting, not only does it help get to know each other and each others wares, its helpful if say you are having a shop chat or critique chat, it also does generate sales between sellers as people get comfy with each other and more likely to buy from each other.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »
I agree totally with your suggest. I actually added that and about 5 other ideas I have about the chat to the list. I'm not 100% thrilled with the chat software we have added. We will either work with what we have or develop something else to replace it. Honestly I really liked how etsy chat was set up at the time. Anyone have any other suggestions regarding chat, so we can try to address them all.
Also chat is on the list, but we have some bigger fish to fry first, so it is not on the top. I gave it a medium priority.

Sifistickate

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »
I loved the overall way Etsy chat was set up!  I liked:

the ability to privately speak to someone whilst still on the main page with someone else,

---      but, would have also liked the ability to create a private room that wasn't visible or accesible to others.  Etsy would allow locked rooms, but everyone could see who was in them, and I didn't like that very well because later there would always be rumors in chat about it.  I used one once to set up a private listing for a man who wanted to buy a large lot of buttons as a gift for his wife.  But later someone told her in chat that we had been in a room together alone, and made it awkward. I couldn't deny it, but I couldn't tell her the truth either. :(     --

I liked being able to show the items others were selling.

---     but, after a few daily chat sessions I started developing carpal tunnel.  An easy one-click option instead of opening a page, copying a number, then pasting into a form would have been such a Godsend!  ------

Smilies and italic text would help a lot for emphasis and to show when someone is joking since that sometimes gets lost in the discussion and can make hard feelings.

I know a lot of people had a lot of fun changing the room titles, but sometimes it got really mean. 

Finally:  I left Zibbet because of being kicked out of chat with no warning twice.  The first time I linked to a sold item on Etsy that someone had made with one of my buttons.  The owner (Jonathan?) personally appologized for that.  But about 2 weeks later I was having a rotten day and I said "Dammit" to something -and was kicked out again.   

I'm an adult, and I would very much appreciate being able to talk like one.  The whole "keep it safe for elementary school children" thing didn't fly with me.  Young children don't belong on the internet, and certainly not in a chat room.  Any chat room.

Now I've said all that, I have a chat room installed on my website, but have never used it.  I don't even know how it works.  I'll try to cruise by there later and see what it is, and where it came from. It might be something you can use?

Offline thepeasantpailfull

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:53:08 PM »
I do understand your sentiments and it does seem a little harsh to get a kick for just that but if I understand correctly handmadeartists.com IS a family show as they say. That may or may not expand to the forums. Even still I feel language is a social choice that has nothing to do with your age,in fact I have at least a few friends well past college that don't like it.

But they won't kick you for it!  ;)

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 11:15:51 PM »
It would be wonderful in chat if you could click on the chatter's name and their shop would open in another window, assuming they have a shop here!

I do miss the ability to post pictures in chat.  That was great - then we could discuss the picture for whatever reason.  I think one of my favorite chats was the "guess the price" one where I posted a picture and the description and everyone in the room offered what they thought it should be priced.  It was very helpful!

Offline KilnGoddess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:31:26 PM »
actually zibbet chat is so extreme I know someone that got temporarily muted for using the word carp(not even crap) but carp instead of s__t.

Also someone that got muted for talking about a childhood illnesses because they said she was too graphic.

I was in a few etsy chats that I felt were a bit too randy... but there has to be a better answer than the extreme censorship path that zibbet took. When an etsy room got too much to take I just went to a different room or made a new room. I loved the fact that there were multiple room to choose from. I liked being able to have social rooms and business room so if you felt like just chatting you could or if you wanted to have a serious topic chat you could. Really I think the room self governs itself behaviorwise and the addition of an ignore button could solve the problem of someone coming in and making trouble trollwise or languagewise.

I seriously loved etsy chat and so miss the community it created. I betcha I was on chat 5 out of 7 nights.

Sifistickate

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 12:47:58 AM »
There is a difference (albeit hard to define) between being "adult" and being...well, nasty!

Although, to be honest, I never cared personally how nasty the Etsy chat became (and it rarely was, and didn't usually stay that way).  But I do realize that for most people there's a line, and I do govern myself accordingly. 

I can't recall ever being slapped for my language before anywhere, and when it happened at Zibbet I was very much made to feel like I just plain wasn't welcome.  I am who I am, and that's not gonna change, so either I'm welcome and treated like I'm welcome, or I'm not.

actually zibbet chat is so extreme I know someone that got temporarily muted for using the word carp(not even crap) but carp instead of s__t.

Actually...was that me?  I do sometimes say "Oh, carp" so that might have been my second "offense" but I'm not sure.

Also someone that got muted for talking about a childhood illnesses because they said she was too graphic.

Yep.  I remember.  And someone else was tossed out for posting about a missing child -a relative. 

Whatever; enough was enough and they ruined it for me.  I'm sorry about it, because I still consider many of the people at Zibbet to be friends of mine.  But I saw no reason to continue contributing to a site where I not only made no sales, but was repeatedly treated like a redheaded step child.

Offline KilnGoddess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 09:00:34 PM »
It sure got weird over there fast. Nope the carp wasn't you. I never understood why people still chatted there with the constant spying on and tattling and over reaction from admin.

They seemed so nice at first.

Sifistickate

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 03:43:09 AM »
It sure got weird over there fast.

Yep!

I missed the last day of Etsy chat, and once it was gone I couldn't believe how much I missed everyone.  So when Zibbet seemed like an alternative I was all over it.

I sat and talked to the owner for over an hour, and thought we had a basic understanding of each other.

But...yikes...everytime I went there after that something was unglued, and if I brought it up I was told to go read the forums.  And I mean, really, how many forum pages can one person read?  It was just nuts. :(