Author Topic: Views from Tweets  (Read 1945 times)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Views from Tweets
« on: May 22, 2012, 03:42:32 PM »
Many have said over and over that the GA Google Anylytics results do not match the item results. I started doing a little research and came up with this http://luigimontanez.com/2012/how-rel-nofollow-works/
Basically links leaving twitter have a no follow attribute attached to them by twitter. Therefore they are telling google not to index these links. That may be the very reason why GA doesn't pick up twitter views coming to the site.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: Views from Tweets
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »
Basically links leaving twitter have a no follow attribute attached to them by twitter. Therefore they are telling google not to index these links. That may be the very reason why GA doesn't pick up twitter views coming to the site.

Seems logical to me.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »
Does kind of explain the difference in views between here and GA.  But I don't understand why Twitter would do this.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »
Yeah, pretty weird of twitter.

Offline FinnellFineArt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:26:09 PM »
I found this really interesting, so I decided to test it.

I know that using real-time beta on GA, I can see "myself” when I'm in my shop, so I listed a new item, left my shop, launched GA, and went to twitter to click my item and see if I showed up on GA.

And I did. Within seconds of clicking the twitter link, GA showed 1 active visitor from my location. The odds of it being another visitor from my town (small town) at the same moment I went there was astronomically low. So I can safely say that GA does indeed show hits from twitter.

Sorry. I think the discrepancy in numbers can be accounted for by “bot hits” which GA filters out but which your counters do not. As I understand it, twitter gets a lot of bot hits and if your counter is not specifically set up to ignore them, they will seriously skew your statistics.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »
Carolyn,
When I look at the server stats, the bot stats are separated from the other hits. The server stats see all the traffic. I do not believe bots have anything to do with it.