Author Topic: Good places to advertise?  (Read 12081 times)

Sifistickate

Good places to advertise?
« on: May 20, 2012, 05:55:53 AM »
So, while I'm building my inventory and working out the kinks in supply and demand and cost vs realistic profit margins, I also need to start advertising.

Anyone want to put forth some suggestions for places that don't charge too much but are well-targeted toward women with long hair?

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Re: Good places to advertise?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 06:13:33 AM »
Well, I have long hair and here I am!   :laugh:   Sorry, it is early and that statement cracked me up! 

We use some Adwords from Google so you can chose your keywords.  Facebook posting is free, I guess you would have to search groups geared towards woman and join them.  I'll think about it as I dry my hair!

Sifistickate

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 06:20:03 AM »
Adwords has never made me a nickle.  I worked and worked and worked trying to make that profitable for me, but it never did.  I got lots of expensive clicks, but the sales ratio was dirt.

I have to admit: I hate facebook.  My son has promised that he would set me up a business page anytime I want, but he won't agree to maintaining it for me. ???

I'm a member-in-good-standing at a couple of forums devoted to long hair, but neither one allows any advertising except Google Adwords.  I may be forced to try that again, but would rather find other places, first.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »
Geez, I thought I had pretty long hair, but I'm an amateur compared to you!  I do love hairsticks, though, and yours are gorgeous.

At any rate, if I get a chance I'll fish through the bookmarks on my old laptop.  When my sister was getting married years ago I looked through a lot of long hair sites looking for styles to wear to her wedding.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »
Your hair is lovely, I used to have long hair and ended up cutting it for work. Sent a pony tail 2 feet long to locks of love for kids with cancer.
As far as advertising goes, you can also try project wonderful. You can set up ads on other handmade sites and other various categories as well. We also own http://itsbetterhandmade.com, where you can submit your latest creations for free. They are then tweeted and submitted to several bookmarking sites for back links. It is a great free way to get your name out there.

Sifistickate

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
Geez, I thought I had pretty long hair, but I'm an amateur compared to you!

Mine is knee-length.  I don't have a recent picture because I had a hair-related-incident last spring, and burned part of it.  It's recovering, but it's going to be a while before I'm ready to show it off much again. 

I do love hairsticks, though, and yours are gorgeous.

Thank-you!  I have one more made, and am giving it a couple more hours for the Loc-tite to cure.  Then I'll get it photographed, and list it here.  Then I have to wait for the next batch of blank sticks to arrive, and I'm still buying beads and such for them.

I'm trying to make things I personally would wear.  I have a huge range of tastes, so I'll probably end up with a bit of everything.   I started with pretty neutral colors because time and again those are the sticks I choose everyday, since they go so well with so many outfits, and aren't too noisy for work.

But I also have my eye on some really wild things, and hope to have something for just about everyone. :D

Now if I can just quit thinking "Wait, maybe I should KEEP this one...or that one...or wait, am I sure I want to sell these?"  which is remarkably bad for business.  ;D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Ha, I get it!  I'm kind of working in yhe converse.  I always feel guilty taking a "good" bar of soap that could be sold, and I'm.sorely neglecting the knitting and sewing for personal use in favor of making stuff for the shop.

As for hairsticks, I've got a pretty sizeable collection, so I'm looking forward to your wilder stuff.  If I'm.going to spend the $ handmade deserves, I need it to be different.

Sifistickate

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »
As for hairsticks, I've got a pretty sizeable collection, so I'm looking forward to your wilder stuff.  If I'm.going to spend the $ handmade deserves, I need it to be different.

That's one of the issues I'm concerned about.  I have my eye on a few OOAK handmade beads that cost over $50.00 each.

I want to buy them and use them....but...that drives the final price of the finished stick waaay up, and I'm not sure enough people will pay it.

I'm hoping they will, because if I could, I would. But I'm scared to take the plunge. :(

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »
I get it.  That's why we haven't done a sandalwood soap... We only use EOs and it's just so.pricey.

Sifistickate

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 04:58:15 PM »
I get it.  That's why we haven't done a sandalwood soap... We only use EOs and it's just so.pricey.

Yes.  I know.

(I'm currently using up my last bar of sandalwood soap.  And unless I start selling more stuff, I won't be able to afford more for a while. :( )

There's a woman out there selling hair sticks for over $100.00 a pair, and selling them as fast as she can make them.  They don't really suit my taste, but apparently they are popular, and people do pay the prices.  But...I can't possibly compete with her branding without spending thousands of dollars, and my stuff may not be nearly as popular.  Hers are really all glitz and bling; gorgeous for special occasions.  But I'd like to make stuff people will wear more often and for more occasions.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »
Jolene at Kitzbitz makes some amazingly cool an funky beads I did a quick forum search and here are a couple links to some
http://handmadeartists.com/forum/index.php/topic,6192.msg65728.html#msg65728
http://handmadeartists.com/forum/index.php/topic,6785.15.html

I'm not familiar with her pricing but might be worth getting in touch with a fellow HA artist :)

Sifistickate

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
Those are gorgeous!  Thank-you, Blue Highways.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 06:13:45 PM »

Yes.  I know.

(I'm currently using up my last bar of sandalwood soap.  And unless I start selling more stuff, I won't be able to afford more for a while. :( )

There's a woman out there selling hair sticks for over $100.00 a pair, and selling them as fast as she can make them.  They don't really suit my taste, but apparently they are popular, and people do pay the prices.  But...I can't possibly compete with her branding without spending thousands of dollars, and my stuff may not be nearly as popular.  Hers are really all glitz and bling; gorgeous for special occasions. But I'd like to make stuff people will wear more often and for more occasions.

Wow.  That's honestly more than I could spend for that sort of thing.  But she's got her niche, you've got yours.  :)

Sifistickate

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 06:17:38 PM »
I confess to having spent $100.00 for ONE hair stick.  But.... It's fantabulous, and I love, love, love it.

I justify it a couple of ways: one, it will last my whole lifetime; two, it holds all of my hair and will for at least three more feet, three, it's OOAK and the world will never see another.

So...if anyone makes too many noises, I essentially tell them to bite me. ;)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 08:04:07 PM »
So...if anyone makes too many noises, I essentially tell them to bite me. ;)

I like you.