Author Topic: New Product Pages in the Works  (Read 9097 times)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New Product Pages in the Works
« on: May 17, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »
Just thought I would let every know we just sent a mock up of a new product page design to our developers for implementation.
One of our members Carolyn of  FinnellFineArt sat down last night and worked this up for us. Since we changed the product pages and made it so the shop sidebar was on all product pages, there was some duplicate content, also a little cramped, and we still didn't address the image size being too small.
Well I'll quote Carolyn here "It's easy to offer criticism, it's tough to offer solutions". I applaud Carolyn for her help as I think the design is clean, and still offers all the info we need without duplicate content, and it also offers a larger image.

Now I sent it to our developers with a couple extra suggestions. First since the image is much larger there is more room under the main image for larger thumbnails,  I suggest 150 x 150 pixels. Also there may be enough room for an additional image, so that way we can have 5 images per product, only if it fits.

So here is a screenshot of the mock up. Like I said I just sent it to them today, so do not expect this to be implemented tomorrow. I also asked if they had any concerns with the design for technical reasons, I do not foresee any as it really is predominately a CSS change.
If there are any further suggestions, please do not hesitate to post them.
Thanks so much Carolyn for not only offering criticism but also taking the time to help in the solution.

Note: Click on the image below to view full size, so you can get the true feel of the layout.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:04:32 PM by Chainmaille By MBOI »

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
Re: New Product Pages in the Works
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 03:24:22 PM »
I know, if the shoe fits wear it and I'm a-wearin' it - I mentioned a couple times the photo issue and offered no solution...I suppose I felt it would be overstepping my bounds when maybe there were no bounds in this case  :-[

I LOVE having no column on the right hand side, the only input I have on this is the product information section probably can be pared down even more ie: the price under the price is redundant and is it necessary to have the feedback up there? Less than a quarter of my customers even leave any and if the feedback is related to that particular item would there ever be feedback for something that will only be sold once? There is a feedback button already under the shop avi.

PS FABULOUS job, Carolyn!

You asked....   ;)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:31:38 PM »
Solutions are always tough while problems are easy to see so please never feel that you are overstepping your bounds!  Andrew and I know that we do not know everything and sometimes, when you have poured your heart, soul, time, energy and money into a project you no longer see it clearly.  We want opinions and will discuss them and, if it is something that fits our mission and is doable, we are always willing to change.

As far as the mock up, I really like the look-cleaner and more open looking than the 3 columns and truly thank Carolyn for taking the time to make it up!

Offline kpdreams

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »
Okay, so I found it....I love it.  Much cleaner look, not cluttered.  I think it is for the good.

Offline Dee38753

• Live life as if there was no tomorrow!
    • View Profile
    • Southern Country Creations
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:53:41 PM »
Oh My!!! This is a much cleaner page! Love the look and the larger photos!

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 04:04:47 PM »
I like  :-* so much nicer! Thank you everyone!!!?????
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
Good points Blue! I spoke with Carolyn and she will do another mock up early next week, with suggested changes. So please post you thoughts.  I see people popping in and our of this thread with no yeah or neah. If you do not speak your mind, we will not know what you are thinking. I've tried reading my wife;s mind for 14 years now and I'm always wrong :D So please speak up, we want to hear from you.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »
I really like this new page!  I would agree with Andrea...  It's my understanding that the feedback link on the item pages is for that item only, not the shop.  I'm okay without that link, since it seems to always come up "no feedback yet."  About the only way to utilize it (I think) is when the artisan replaces and item that sold would be to rework that sold item's listing and relist it.  Is that true?  If it isn't, I would welcome the education!

Great job Carolyn!  You ROCK!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
I like, like, like..... :-*

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 04:14:46 PM »
I really like this new page!  I would agree with Andrea...  It's my understanding that the feedback link on the item pages is for that item only, not the shop.  I'm okay without that link, since it seems to always come up "no feedback yet."  About the only way to utilize it (I think) is when the artisan replaces and item that sold would be to rework that sold item's listing and relist it.  Is that true?  If it isn't, I would welcome the education!

Great job Carolyn!  You ROCK!
The feedback links go to the same place. The feedback is left on an individual item after a sale, but all of those individual feedback go to the same feedback page. If that makes sense.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
Love it!  And as someone who sells multiples of things, I actually like the feedback link.

Offline QuillingbySandraWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »
I like the new page as well..........great job.

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 04:37:17 PM »
I also like the page.  I agree with Blue about the feedback and price.  My feeling is that if people see feedback with "no feedback yet", it is not very helpful.  Since, for many of us, each item is one of a kind, there will never be feedback for an individual item.  If it is a choice issue,  I would prefer going as large as possible with the thumbnails to adding a 5th.
Thanks for always improving things and
Thanks to Carolyn for a beautiful design. 

Nancy Pace

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 05:22:04 PM »
 :-*I am so pleased with larger pics, that has been a complaint I have heard from browsers. I was also concerned the details of my art work were lost,not sharp.

I am thrilled Carolyn knew how to do this, great job! And I am thankful to you too Kimberly and Andrew for being so open minded about suggestions, you rock!
Thanks!