Author Topic: Sign Up Here To Host A Handmade Highlight Contest!  (Read 107771 times)

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• The difference between can and do is the doing
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
Re: Sign Up Here To Host A Handmade Highlight Contest!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »
I would love to win that minibook:) I sure hate to compete with Andrew ::) At least Larissa is occupied with her new job :)

Sorry, I'm competitive.  But I also won a book already, so if I did the contest, it'd just be for the fun of fitting a Highlight into the theme, not for the prize.
Don't be sorry! I was teasing you and Andrew! I love your spirit:)

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »
I would love either one from you:) How can we get them involved? Hmmmm... let's see

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 06:52:55 AM »
I would like to get to a point that I could offer a couple bucks a week for a contest, but we are little tight now since we hired the full time developer. I feel real bad about you guys donating stuff.

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 07:06:05 AM »
Andrew, I look at it as good advertising. I am donating to help myself. Do yuo have an idea to involve more folks?

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 07:15:32 AM »
I could send a newsletter

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 07:38:14 AM »

If you included this bit of fun, it might be good to explain why highlights and all the links that go with them are so beneficial, not to mention the additional traffic people can drum up by bringing folks here to comment.

I would like to get to a point that I could offer a couple bucks a week for a contest, but we are little tight now since we hired the full time developer. I feel real bad about you guys donating stuff.

Do NOT feel bad. I totally have no problem with contributing, we all want this site to grow and become successful, you never asked for anyone to start this - think of this is our contribution (having participants to play would help too). This is what a community does.

Can I get a witness?!?!

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 01:52:44 PM »

If you included this bit of fun, it might be good to explain why highlights and all the links that go with them are so beneficial, not to mention the additional traffic people can drum up by bringing folks here to comment.

Do NOT feel bad. I totally have no problem with contributing, we all want this site to grow and become successful, you never asked for anyone to start this - think of this is our contribution (having participants to play would help too). This is what a community does.

Can I get a witness?!?!

Me me me! Wait I already did!

I like the newsletter ideas you both have:)

Offline Dee38753

• Live life as if there was no tomorrow!
    • View Profile
    • Southern Country Creations
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »
Sorry....I have been kind of out of it for a while. Trying to get everything ready for school to start back.

I am checking in periodically...but I will get back to being more active....I promise...you can't get rid of me that easy!  :laugh:

Offline Dee38753

• Live life as if there was no tomorrow!
    • View Profile
    • Southern Country Creations
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »
I'd be willing to host again with another mini book as the prize but only if I can get enough players. Do know that this is not only good for the winner but good for the vendors and HA in general.
It's loads of fun and all you have to do is make a Highlight in the theme I choose and rustle up some comments from friends, family, Facebook, twitter etc., player with the most comments after the week wins. Easy!
Who's in? I can start it on Monday if we get enough interest...later if not.

me...me...me...I'm in if you do it!! I reeeeeaaaallllyyy want that mini book!!!

KarenGass

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »
ok, i hate to sound stupid :) but what is 'make a Highlight'? I know I haven't been very active in the forums, but I'd like to be and I'd also like to help bring in more traffic/buyers etc. I wasn't aware of the first one.

Suddenly I'm getting email notices of things going on here - which is great! I just don't know why I didn't before. oh well, i've got them now. Thanks for answering my dumb question :/

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »
Not a dumb question at all!  Highlights are collections of items for sale in the HandmadeArtists shops.  To view the library of Highlights, click on this link:  http://handmadeartists.com/highlights-view/

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
I would love to but, perhaps I am having a brain spasm or something, I am not quite sure what I am supposed to do.  Create one item or a selection of items.  Tell me what to do and I will be happy to do so.

THanks

Pam

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 01:15:50 AM »
What happens is this...

The person donating the prize for the week picks a theme.  Anyone who wants to compete for that prize goes here:  http://handmadeartists.com/highlights-view/ and about two inches down to the right, there's a green button that says "create."  Click on that, and you come to the page to create a Handmade Highlight.  Now... open another window or tab with the HAFshop in it, and go through the shop, looking for items that match your response to the theme.  Click on those items, get the url for each, and place it into the Highlight.  When you're done, save the Highlight.  Note:  DO NOT click away from the Highlight before saving or you'll lose it.

Then start promoting your highlight.  The Highlight with the most comments from unique users (you can comment once to your own, but if you comment more than that, only once counts) wins the prize for that week.

It's a way to get Google to pick up HAFshop items, since the search engines seem to like our Highlights and index them.  It's also a way to get contestants to hunt through all the shops and see all the great stuff while looking for thematic items.  And it's a way to spread the word about the HAFshop & the great stuff for sale there, since the promotion will bring non-HAF members to comment.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 07:18:41 AM »
Well done, Larissa!
The very first ones theme was make a highlight using a song as the theme, here is an example of one of the submissions: http://handmadeartists.com/highlights-details/?id=2012050115433338a0b&uid=23032012194221&index=
As Larissa said, be sure not to hit the back button or anything else when you are at the highlight you are making, you'll lose everything. I normally have 2 tabs open as she said, one that is the highlight I am creating, the other is for me to search the shops with

pcoe

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 07:45:21 AM »
I tried to list my items but I keep losing them as I try to find another item.