Author Topic: Would You Like a Challenging Contest?  (Read 12594 times)

paradisepurls

Re: Would You Like a Challenging Contest?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »
Yikety Yikes! :)
My stomach hurts thinking about some of these ideas.  hehe!  I would be willing to try any challenge...might not necessarily result in an item suitable to post though. ha!  I have a new sewing machine that I don't know how to use.  Guess the tshirt idea would force me to figure it out.  Yikes again!  Beyond my knitting and beading, I don't think I'm all that creative so this would indeed be a challenge!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 10:49:33 PM »
I am reading this with interest, but don't have anything to add to it!  But I do have a question...  what is ACEO?

Offline PennyFarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 04:23:22 AM »
Oooo ooo ah ah! I thought of a fun idea!

It's pretty simple: Take an old shirt, of any kind, and remake it into something better! We all have old shirts lying around that we don't wear anymore, so why not find a better use for them? Or, if you love thrift store shopping, you know you can find some crazy tops there that no one will ever wear! Buy it and use it!

What do you guys think? Sound simple, yet challenging enough?? :) If so, I will start an official thread for it!

Another idea, maybe down the road is to have everyone make an ACEO in their own medium.  Since the only restriction on ACEO is size there is a lot of room for creativity for people and since there are a lot of collectors out there, it might get a lot of attention.

Good idea! I will have to look more into ACEOs.

I would give the t-shirt challenge a go, whats ACEO?

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 06:01:57 AM »
I am reading this with interest, but don't have anything to add to it!  But I do have a question...  what is ACEO?

An ACEO are artist trading cards.  They must be 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches, other than that they can be in any medium you chose.  Here are some of the ones on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=aceo&w=all .  They are a great way to collect small art without having to invest in large pieces. 

This is one I made a while back that is all beaded but they can be drawn, sewn, mixed media, clay or anything else you work with

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 07:35:21 AM »
Thanks for the definition, Kim, and that is BEAUTIFUL!

Offline PennyFarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 04:29:10 AM »
so an aceo is a sample or a piece of mini art... do people swap them?

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 06:17:41 AM »
so an aceo is a sample or a piece of mini art... do people swap them?

Some are traded and some are sold...they used to be big on Ebay but I don't know if they still are.  I have quite a collection of them.  I like them because I don't always want the full size piece on my wall, it may be inappropriate because I have kids or just doesn't go with my house or I may not be able to afford a full size original.  This way, I get the art I love but smaller!

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 01:23:25 PM »
I see everyone is getting good and uncomfortable!! ;)

Well guess what? We're going to do this contest!! I will post an official thread soon.

You can revamp ANY kind of shirt, be it t-shirt, dress shirt, a child's shirt, or even a bikini! ;D But, it has to be a pre-made shirt, so you sewers can't go making a brand new one! ;) You can turn it into anything you want, and get creative with materials! Also remember that there are many ways to fuse fabrics without sewing. I personally like fabric glue. ;D And if you're not going to be selling the piece or wearing it in public, it doesn't have to be too sturdy. Hehe Also important--make SURE you take a before and after picture!!

So, take a shirt, turn it into a new shirt, turn it into pants, turn it into jewelry, turn it into a drinking glass--your options are endless!! You will need to start submitting entries by July 31. We are going to have some fantastic prizes as well, to give you incentive! ;) Stay tuned for an official thread!! ^-^

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 02:10:54 PM »
Now, I want to see someone take a shirt and turn it into a drinking glass!

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 03:06:57 PM »
Now, I want to see someone take a shirt and turn it into a drinking glass!
Me too! ;D

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »
Okay guys, here's the official thread for the contest!!

http://handmadeartistsforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,3942.0.html