Author Topic: New Site Purchase Its Better Handmade  (Read 25691 times)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
New Site Purchase Its Better Handmade
« on: May 04, 2012, 03:30:10 PM »
As many of you know Andrew and I are always on the lookout for new ways to promote you and your handmade work...well, to that end, we now own  http://itsbetterhandmade.com/ .

This site was built by Susan Adams as a way to promote handmade and help handmade artists get the word out about their products.  It includes a facebook group and page, twitter account, pinterest account as well as an Etsy team and Artfire guild.  She has run into some family problems and can no longer run the sites and decided to sell to us.

Now what are we doing with it?  Well, many of you old timers  :o  know that when we began we were nothing more than the forum...a place for handmade artists to gather and chat as well as ask questions and promote; the shop was never on the radar as a possibility.  Even after the launching, and relaunching of the shop Andrew and I still insist on promoting handmade no matter the venue you chose to set up at.  We understand that our site is not for everyone and that there are many that are very successful on their own stand alone sites or on another multivendor site and we encourage everyone to do what is best for their business...this is where ItsBetterHandmade (IBH) will come in.  We are going to give you one more place to link your work to as well as the chance to promote yourself and your shops and gain an even broader reach to more artists and customers.

Our goal is to rebuild the main site and make the facebook page for more than just "post and run" promotion which, in my experience, really doesn't help much other than for the link value.  I would like to see other artists talking and writing about themselves and their crafts with the intent of creating an even bigger interest in handmade.

The forum and the shop is still here and we are not going anywhere, we are just adding to our network so that we can get even more information out there and promote you in new ways.  Our mission statement remains the same for the forum and shop and our promotion of you as members here will remain the same.   As I rebuild the main site, there is going to be a member page (which I will announce when it is up and running) that will allow you to link to any site you sell on (remember, Google loves live links!) so it will give you a bit of free advertising.

Any questions, ask away...though I may not have firm answers yet as this came about a bit faster than we had planned and will be a work in progress for a while.   I am also open to suggestions for what can be done with the sites in order to better promote handmade in general.

Offline AmongTheRuins

• must create!
    • View Profile
    • AmongTheRuins
Re: New Site Purchase Its Better Handmade
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
OOooh this sounds so very exciting!!!  I'm just heading out but will be catching up on this thread later. 
Congrats on the purchase!!!  :D

teniralc

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »
So will we have a "www.itsbetterhandmade.my shop name.com" address in addtion to the handmadeartists.com one? My one concern is the amount of time it takes to maintain listings on multiple sites.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »
So will we have a "www.itsbetterhandmade.my shop name.com" address in addition to the handmadeartists.com one? My one concern is the amount of time it takes to maintain listings on multiple sites.
No, No.... itsbetterhandmade.com will be totally separate from Handmade Artists'. We intend to move it's better handmade towards another promotional venue for handmade in general, not just HAF, but other venues as well. So it will be independent

teniralc

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »
Oh....okay, that makes sense.  Thanks!

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 06:19:27 PM »
 Congrats you two!  I have been to the site and FB, although it’s been a few months, but when I was there things were movin along… I  think it’s AWESOME! 

;D ;D  Congratulations!  ;D ;D
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 07:14:56 PM »
Thanks so much for the support guys!  I know that we can use these sites to get the word out in a very different way than just the forum and our groups and reach a different audience no matter you sell.  I'll be updating this weekend and next week as well as unveiling a few new ideas that will be useful here.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »
Fabulous!!! :)
I think I've visited this site at some point, but can't recall much. :-\
I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm at work. Internet is way better there than here and so is my computer. Congrats you two!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 07:45:35 PM »
Thanks all, the site itself http://itsbetterhandmade.com is getting rebuilt. Susan spent the majority of her time on the social network part of it. There is a FB page, FB group, Pinterest, Twitter, Etsy group, Artfire Group, Flicker, and more. So when purchased this, we purchased the entire network, about half is transferred the other half will get done this week. So the network is pretty extensive and that is what interested us in the first place, the website will be up in coming and we are going to start working on that right away and then move into the social parts more.
Also just so everyone understands, Kimberly will be running this outreach and promotional effort for handmade. I will be helping from the background, but my priorities are with Handmade Artists', so don't worry I'm not going anywhere. LOL

You can't get rid of me that fast  >:) >:) >:) >:) >:)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »
Thanks all, the site itself http://itsbetterhandmade.com is getting rebuilt. Susan spent the majority of her time on the social network part of it. There is a FB page, FB group, Pinterest, Twitter, Etsy group, Artfire Group, Flicker, and more. So when purchased this, we purchased the entire network, about half is transferred the other half will get done this week. So the network is pretty extensive and that is what interested us in the first place, the website will be up in coming and we are going to start working on that right away and then move into the social parts more.
Also just so everyone understands, Kimberly will be running this outreach and promotional effort for handmade. I will be helping from the background, but my priorities are with Handmade Artists', so don't worry I'm not going anywhere. LOL

You can't get rid of me that fast  >:) >:) >:) >:) >:)

Sorry in advance guys!   :-\   In all honesty, I know you don't see the behind the scenes here to know how we work.  Andrew is much more out front in the shop and forum and I stay behind and do a lot of the writing and question answering...in the case of IBH the roles will switch.  Basically, same insanity two different sites with one goal in mind!

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »
Congratulations! that is great news. I can't wait to see what you guys do with the new site. Very exciting  ;D

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 08:49:28 PM »
Congratulations!  It's a great site.  I knew Susan sold it, but I didn't realize it was you who bought it.  I am looking forward to seeing the new site. 

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 09:03:58 PM »
Alas.....Congrats you two.....was hard to sit on my hands.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Much success....

Offline wingnscales

• View Profile
    • Wings N Scales
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 11:55:57 PM »
Great!  I dont know how you two keep up with it all.  I see how much work you do, and its all greatly appreciated!  Thanks again for all your hard work and support!

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 01:16:09 AM »
You guys are obsessive, awesome, wonderful,terrific,caring,.....................
Will the cool hand stay?

and I'm thinking,yikes, another place to keep up with!  :laugh: ah, I am slowing down these days.
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com