Author Topic: Why are people getting Sales  (Read 31583 times)

FischerFineArts

Re: Why are people getting Sales
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »
I think that the fact that this site DOES promote, even if it's on a limited budget right now, is highly commendable.

Also, I agree that the more we each promote, the more it helps all of us and the site in general, whether we promote our own things or someone else's. Personally, I always love showing my (somewhat small number of fans) cool and interesting pieces of art in any form.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 04:06:18 PM »
Oh, I forgot about adwords.
Does anyone ever visit places like Indie Public anymore? I seem to remember it being a big deal awhile back, but for me it's kinda fizzled. A lot of those type sites have fizzled for me. But, you would get a whole new audience with them. I assume they have Project wonderful ads there. ???

I have an account there too, its as dead as door nail.....no use to even invest any more time there.... ::)

FischerFineArts

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »
Oh, I forgot about adwords.
Does anyone ever visit places like Indie Public anymore? I seem to remember it being a big deal awhile back, but for me it's kinda fizzled. A lot of those type sites have fizzled for me. But, you would get a whole new audience with them. I assume they have Project wonderful ads there. ???

I have an account there too, its as dead as door nail.....no use to even invest any more time there.... ::)

I had never heard of it until you guys posted about it...would be funny to totally revive the place with a bunch of HAFers on there...;-)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »
I just checked the Alexa rating. 

Alexa Traffic Rank    Reputation

Is that good?
The lower the rank the better. So that rank is not very good. They get maybe 100 hits a day. The site is dead.

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »
so for fun I just checked the shop ranking it's 282,313  and 85,987 for US, and we have a 5 star review from 4 reviews. Says there are 82 sites linking into it. so I have no idea if that's a fairly good ranking or not - But I do think the 5 star review is awesome.
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »
so for fun I just checked the shop ranking it's 282,313  and 85,987 for US, and we have a 5 star review from 4 reviews. Says there are 82 sites linking into it. so I have no idea if that's a fairly good ranking or not - But I do think the 5 star review is awesome.

Yes this is good for us. The lower the number the better, except for the links you want that higher. The problem is that when we merged handmadeartistsforum.com and handmadeartistsshop.com we practically had to start over link building. All the links to those domains are redirected to handmadeartists.com but do not count as link juice to the new domain. Anyway, saying that any links people have to the old domains should be changed when you get a second as they do not help the ranking.
The ranking numbers displayed however are the best we've had, they are dropping daily as well. Yes I keep a spreadsheet of wear it is at. LOL

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
Andrew, I'm sure you do keep track of all that!

Updating links - oh yes, that is a good thought.  I may to check a few of mine.

I have a couple of questions.  - sort of pertains to sales.  When I was in the process of buying one of Janelle's pieces this am, I didn't realize that one needed to click on shopping cart after clicking on add to cart -   1. )I'm wondering if a small note could be added under the Add To Cart button to click on the shopping cart when finished shopping.   
I wonder if maybe we are losing sales because it doesn't really do anything after clicking on "Add to Cart"  and maybe people just aren't taking the time to see what they need to do.
I am updating all my listings with short instuctions.
2.)  Can people order things from more than one shop before going to their shopping cart?
Thanks
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline nicilaskin

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 11:09:45 PM »
I think we are one of the ones with the sales here on handmade and yes it is a lot of work that goes into it, we just started here and have already over 20 sales.
besides wanelo, facebook, kaboodle,
i also use pinterest, we heart it, deviantart ( this one is great ) reddit and stumble, i also have 2 blogs and we will be adding tutorial videos on youtube this summer,
every single listing gets promoted here on Etsy and on ArtFire, the more eggs you have in the basket the better

projectwonderful is a very cool ad site were you can even bid for free ads, or as low as 10 cents per day,

the thing is if you want to be successful on the internet you have to show the internet that you excists, you do that with back links and if you have more then 1 shop make sure it is the same name,

i don't know if i make a lot of sense as it is usually hubby that will post ( he is the native english speaker i am german )

nici
Nici Laskin and RJ Laskin

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/Nicilaskin
nicilaskin.etsy.com
nicilaskin.artfire.com
niciart.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »
You make total sense and your English is fine.  And you're right about what needs to be done.  Congrats on the sales!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2012, 04:50:28 AM »
d
2.)  Can people order things from more than one shop before going to their shopping cart?
Thanks
You can buy from 6 different vendors, multiple items from each, at one checkout.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »
I think we are one of the ones with the sales here on handmade and yes it is a lot of work that goes into it, we just started here and have already over 20 sales.
i also use pinterest, we heart it, deviantart ( this one is great ) reddit and stumble, i also have 2 blogs and we will be adding tutorial videos on youtube this summer,
every single listing gets promoted here on Etsy and on ArtFire, the more eggs you have in the basket the better

projectwonderful is a very cool ad site were you can even bid for free ads, or as low as 10 cents per day,

the thing is if you want to be successful on the internet you have to show the internet that you excists, you do that with back links and if you have more then 1 shop make sure it is the same name,

i don't know if i make a lot of sense as it is usually hubby that will post ( he is the native english speaker i am german )

nici
Thanks so much for posting this, it is information like this that helps get  the word out there. As you well know we promote as heavily as we can, but promoting your own work is critical for getting your brand out there. If that makes any sense.

Offline YankeeBurrowCreations

• View Profile
    • Yankee Burrow
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 03:56:11 PM »
I agree with everything said, and now I would like to add my 2 cents worth...
1) highlights...it would be great if there was a tweet, facebook, pin button for each highlight.  rightnow I just copy and paste the url.
2) as far as auto contacting each shop...etsy doesn't do that either.  so I put the time into contacting every shop I feature.
3) IMPROVE YOUR PHOTOS!  there have been way too many items I would love to promote, but the photos are not very good.  I'm not talking about the photo size for this site, but the actual photos are dark, blurry, or boring.
4)  promote others....I try to get on twitter a few times a day, and retweet those with #hafteam, #hafshop,
5)  I use hootsuite to set up a weeks worth of tweeting using these hash tags.  (I'm behind right now, lol)
6) and while I'm still waiting for my first sale here, I am very much enjoying the comraderie!!!
Debbi
 ;D

Nancy Pace

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 08:56:56 PM »
Debbi, I am waiting for a sale too, but keep working at it. I have had to step back from a few places, not producing after 2 years, not worth it, just groups I cross tweet with and blog for, I am determined to make this site work for me:)
I like the forum and the friendly atmosphere here:)
I must agree about the photos, I want to use more but I will not pick bad photos it doesn't benefit anyone.

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I just joined Deviantart and can't believe how quickly people responded to posts.  I am not familiar with what it means to "heart" something.  I have to look into Kaboodle and wanelo and I am slowly working my way up to blogging.

nici

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 06:35:16 AM »
I love it when I hear other people promoting, I felt like an island here for so long. The amazing thing is a few people jumping in does make a difference.
Yankee,
The notification of being featured in the highlight is a great idea, and is on the list. Someone mentioned it before and I added it then.
I agree I have to the get the social aspect of the highlights up to date and will put that non the list as well.
I spoke with our developers yesterday and they were working on some things with more to be done today. I haven't gotten to check what is done yet.