Author Topic: Why are people getting Sales  (Read 31581 times)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Why are people getting Sales
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »
I've been paying attention to some trends here lately. The people getting sales are the people putting in the effort.
It was funny I just got an email from someone who has had three sales in the last few days. They are not a regular on the forums and do not do any real work on their shop here. They said, wow I almost had a heart attack when I got the two sales the other day, then another one came in today. I really am going to start putting an effort into my shop.
Unfortunately this is many of our sellers mentality, they sign up, think that $5 isn't much, throw some things up and do nothing else. Well it is unfortunate, but it is a fact, and honestly I don't blame them.
But I have watched a trend lately. I get google alerts, I get stats from statcounter, I also have server stats. The ones that are really starting to break out are the ones that are promoting, either themselves or others. This may not be a revelation to anyone, but it is to me in a sense, that a little effort promoting anywhere does in fact go a long way.
I honestly do not know why I'm posting this. There is no major revelation here. I guess I'm excited that sales have been picking up, and that another person has actually seen some value in our site and going to put in more effort. I think that the more people that start to see the value and put in more effort the better the site will be for all.
Once again not sure where I was going with this LOL  :-\

Offline Dee38753

• Live life as if there was no tomorrow!
    • View Profile
    • Southern Country Creations
Re: Why are people getting Sales
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
Well...it gives me hope  that I may actually begin to sell some items through the site...since I am promoting....probably need to do more and will as soon as I figure out how!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »
I really should probably spend some time and write some promotional suggestions and todo's if you will on the blog. In general posting anywhere else on the internet is a possibility of your product getting noticed. For those really serious about promotion, I think the key is spreading around to many sites. I actually keep a spredsheet of places.
The spreadsheet has the site name, url, my username, and password. There are just soooo many out there. But what happens is everysite you can get your work or even someone elses work up there, is an incoming link to the site or your shop and just one more chance to get noticed. Incoming links help the site has a whole as well.
I would really suggest a spreadsheet though. A lot of times, promotion is as simple as an hour a day.

For example today, I promoted on facebook, our pages, and about 10 groups.
I also promoted on pinterest, probably about 20 items
Google+ probably about 20 items.
Stumble upon the same
Twitter automated on 9 accounts, and about 3 manual tweets
I promoted probably 10 products to wanelo
another 10 to this next
another 10 to kaboodle
some to plurk plus automated to plurk
that is all I can think of right now.
But I honestly do this or more everyday, now I don't expect everyone to do this, but I would suggest everyone do some.
Once you establish an account on as many networks as you can it only take a little time everyday. Say an hour or less. I do find that doing a little everyday is better than hours and hours for one day and nothing for a week.
Many of the networks I promote on allow feeds, so I just put feeds up there and let them run. So that is another to consider.
Honestly I should really try to put together some info and suggestions on promotion. To be truly honest I really do not know how I built up some many networks, but it has taken almost 5 years to build to where it is now.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 06:55:44 PM »
This is great!  Speaking of the HAFshop specifically, is there any way the shops included in the Highlights can be auto-notified that they've been featured.  I've made Highlights - we all have, really - featuring the work of non-regs I didn't know, partially because I liked the items and they fit my themes, but also partially to engender some good will. 

I feel like there are a lot of artists in the HAFshop now who don't have the friendship investment that the forum regs have.  So it'd be nice for them to see they're being noticed & featured, and maybe give them incentive to pay it forward and do the same for their fellow HAFshop artists.  They have different networks, and like you said, promoting any part of the HAFshop helps all of us.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 07:09:21 PM »
That is a good idea, I thought of it earlier and shrugged it off. But when you put it that way it makes sense. I added it to the list as a low priority, but it is on the list none the less.
One thing about highlights, they are being indexed by google with out a doubt, if you copy the highlight title and paste into google search it is there within short order, no more than a day at the most. Saying this, it is just one more thing, that will bring us traffic. Content is king as far as websites go, that is one reason why I have been pushing the blog. Google puts more emphasis  on blog posts for some reason. Especially wordpress blogs. I guess and rightfully so, blog posts take more effort to do, than a forum post, or even listing a product and I think that is why google puts more emphasis on this.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:18:02 PM »
Google puts more emphasis  on blog posts for some reason. Especially wordpress blogs. I guess and rightfully so, blog posts take more effort to do, than a forum post, or even listing a product and I think that is why google puts more emphasis on this.

"We'll take you seriously if you take yourself seriously"?

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »

You're confusing me. Don't you know my brain is fragile?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »

Hey, I'm happy to hear you've got one!   :laugh:

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »

Hey, I'm happy to hear you've got one!   :laugh:
Now I'm totally confused......
time to go to sleep......
getting crispy :-\

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »
I have been methodically going through my shop and editing the tags. I've changed some, added some, re-wrote some descriptions, changed some names. After I finish that, I will try to retake some of my photos. I know some are really quite bad, but overall I don't think they are horrible. I am undecided whether or not to add anything new right now. Only problem with that is then there is no auto-promoting. Maybe I'll try the relisting routine at least for some of the older stuff. My views are pretty good for the most part, but alas no sales yet. Frustrated with that, but I am trying. Suggestions would be welcomed.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »
Teressa I honestly have no answers for you. I personally haven't sold much either,  but I barely promote my shop. Kimberly has been handling all the orders lately, I've only made one piece in the last couple months.
But there are people selling. I was contacted from someone today who was extatic that they have had 15 sales in the last 2 months and two huge off site phone orders from our site. So it is happening but not for everyone.  I mean I would say promote more, but honestly I know you do promote.

So what is the answer I don't know.
I spent some time on the Etsy forums today looking around a bit, and I see the same thing over there. Wow tons of sales, man no sales, months and 1 sale, who knows. I was reading a thread on Etsy about people talking about Artfire yesterday, it sounded like the same broken record, no sales, some sales, site is down almost daily.

Once again I wish I had the magic answer for all of us, the only thing I can think of is persistence. I will say this though, we are only getting better here everyday. Stats wise, traffic wise, and sales wise. I'm hopeful for our future, we honestly need some more vendors though to get where we need to be. We need to be just a bit bigger, as we'll have more global influence that way. We are still just a bit too small, as we continue to grow though our reach will grab more potential buyers.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 08:41:23 PM »

I'm hopeful for our future, we honestly need some more vendors though to get where we need to be. We need to be just a bit bigger, as we'll have more global influence that way. We are still just a bit too small, as we continue to grow though our reach will grab more potential buyers.

That is exactly the reason i had mentioned advertising in some of the nicer trade publications or larger trade show flyers etc. when Kim had asked for input in another thread. Yes, we do want traffic to sell our goods but we also need more vendors to help drive that very thing.

Oh, and a huge howdy from Hilton Head Island - miss y'all, but I have been popping in to keep an eye on the lot of you!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 08:19:55 AM »
Well Andrew, when you get that magic answer, I am claiming my spot as first in line! ;D

It doesn't help that I happen to be in the most crowded section of the shop. It's just frustrating. I have no plans on jumping ship. I'll just stay the course and wait for things to improve. ;)

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
My views are pretty good for the most part, but alas no sales yet. Frustrated with that, but I am trying.

Same with my shop, Teresa!  I get a lot of views, but so far only one sale.  I post things to my DA account, Facebook, Pinterest, blog, and Twitter, but haven't had a sale in eons. 

Just keep at it!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 06:19:51 PM »
Well more advertising can't hurt, but it costs money that we do not have right now. As things have been building we have increased our advertising budget. unfortunately by removing the ads from the forum cost us about $150 a month, that we are now taking out of the vendor payments. So we are still covering the same dollar amount for advertising, but not increasing it for the last several months. We are sustaining, but not growing exponentially in revenue.
It's weird though, I'm so anxious for us to grow fast, but honestly the slow grow has worked better for us. We have made so many huge changes over the last year with the new shop, forum merge, and then some. Believe it or not the new shop is not even a year old yet. I think we ended up going live with it in May. I think?
The best thing we can do is just keep pushing any promotion anyone can do helps us all. I've been searching new avenues to promote as well, honestly I do not know how well they will do, but I do know that it is another incoming link to the site and just one more opportunity to get someone to see everyones work.  Just a reminder if you haven't grabbed our badge yet, they are all here http://handmadeartists.com/blog/grab-our-badge/
Thanks