Author Topic: I thought handmade is already defined lol etsy...  (Read 86268 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: I thought handmade is already defined lol etsy...
« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »
I am down to 26 books there, I felt myself start to waver in my conviction to leave once everything had expired when 5 books were sold there this month with me doing ZERO, pretty much ignoring that shop, then I read this to put my integrity back in check....sorry folks, for those not familiar with regretsy but the language gets a little ...mmmm....spicy at times LOL

http://www.regretsy.com/2012/05/29/from-the-horses-blowhole/

Wow, that's some article! I can totally understand your waivering. It would be hard for most of us I think. It was easier for me to leave because I hadn't had a sale in many months. In fact the last couple I had technically were from my B&M store. It was stuff that I customized for people and did the salse through Etsy since it was easier for all involved.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #406 on: May 30, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »
Yes, this month put me over 100 sales over there (my first listing was June 1 2010...or right around there) I just have to believe and keep in mind I can do this without them with the help of HA and the .com shop I'm putting together as I speak.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #407 on: May 30, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
I left a comment at PC World and thoroughly enjoyed the Regretsy post.

Yes, you may be tempted by fleeting successes at Etsy.  But I equate it to being a battered woman, who keeps going back to the man who beats her because he promises he'll never do it again...

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 30, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »
I know that Etsy is a very successful venue for a lot of people and would never expect them to leave from a business standpoint...after all it is business.  My issue with Etsy is more on their not standing by their own mission statement.  If they want to change how they do business then by all means, it is their sandbox so they make the rules, but be honest about it instead of parading around in hipster clothes in a grandma's attic decor office.  While I don't have a lot of respect for Artfire either, at least they admitted the problem and openly welcomed commercial items by giving them their own section.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #410 on: May 30, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »
Been saying this all along etsy has become *bay.....no matter....

enjoyed the regretsy article, that woman is good..

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 30, 2012, 01:31:35 PM »
Been saying this all along etsy has become *bay.....no matter....

enjoyed the regretsy article, that woman is good..

She has built an empire around the fails of crafting and craft sites!  Got to give her credit for it!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 31, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »
She has built an empire around the fails of crafting and craft sites!  Got to give her credit for it!

I totally agree!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #413 on: May 31, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
I know that Etsy is a very successful venue for a lot of people and would never expect them to leave from a business standpoint...after all it is business.  My issue with Etsy is more on their not standing by their own mission statement.  If they want to change how they do business then by all means, it is their sandbox so they make the rules, but be honest about it instead of parading around in hipster clothes in a grandma's attic decor office.  While I don't have a lot of respect for Artfire either, at least they admitted the problem and openly welcomed commercial items by giving them their own section.

I feel the same way.  Don't be a liar.  Make your decisions and then OWN THEM.  I can't freakin' stand liars.

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #414 on: May 31, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #416 on: May 31, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »
The first positive thing I've seen about Etsy is that they don't allow sock puppets.  That's cool.

But yeah, that poster is a nutjob.  Sorry, honey, I've been the victim of actual bullying, and Regretsy ain't it.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #419 on: May 31, 2012, 12:26:45 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that Etsy thought that this latest reseller debacle would have been long forgotten by now as all the others in the past had...they are very wrong - I'd say it was the straw that broke the camels back. 360 smart a$$ed comments on that petition so far proves it