Author Topic: I thought handmade is already defined lol etsy...  (Read 86146 times)

myeuropeantouch

Re: I thought handmade is already defined lol etsy...
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »
Well, to late for me, I complied with everything in their rediculous email, thinking I had no problems as my items are deffo handmade. They did not answer any questions I had, which item etc and one day I was gone ..."poof" no explanation, no questions answered, nothing....I mean everything was gone even my sold items that etsy used to still show on google. I was wiped out like I never excisted.
So to late for me, 8-9 years down the drain, and I had done nothing, absolutely nothing wrong.
Does it make me feel better that I was not the only one on their rampage a week before Christmas, NO, it does not....
Again, I say...they are up to something, and definately "no good".....
so ...NO...I do not have an etsy shop anymore and would not touch them with a ten foot pool over there. I absolutely do not trust them anymore....
I have a sign on under my Moms name, so I can participate in forums and give my 5 cents...(mum is the word)

You COMPLIED and are still shut down?!

Oh yes, Larissa...and no reason given and no questions of mine ever answered.
Its like I never, ever existed.....WIPE OUT !!!!!!!!!!
Of course I made way to many waves, I did not shut up, as I had known I had done nothing wrong, wrote two supervisors, wrote to the new CEO of etsy. I made way to many waves about their new way of kicking people out. 

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »
This presents a problem for me.  Much as I'd like to support handmade sellers who happen to have shops on Etsy, I don't want Etsy getting a penny of my money.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »
This presents a problem for me.  Much as I'd like to support handmade sellers who happen to have shops on Etsy, I don't want Etsy getting a penny of my money.

Hate to admit it, but I've actually messaged sellers before and asked flat out if they sold anywhere else that I could buy because I really don't want to shop on Etsy.  Most of the time they were happy to point me to another site or offered to send me a PayPal invoice instead of losing a customer.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »
All my custom orders (which accounts for at least a third of my business) are listed here once they are complete... even when they originate over "there"  ::)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »
Yeah, I look here first anyway, but I figure I'll do the private contact thing too.  And BTW, I have a good friend who's considering leaving Etsy and coming here.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »
Like I mentioned before I have a sign on over "there" under my mothers name, but will not give them another penny, not even thru a seller there.

Found something I liked and contacted the seller thru here and just had her send me an invoice. Worked fine for both of us.

FischerFineArts

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »
Wow, some of those items you guys posted just really leave me scratching my head, wondering what I'm doing spending hours and hours creating mosaics--not! I'd be embarrassed to put items like those up for sale...

As far as the Etsy thing goes, yep, hearing of just way too many shops being closed down for no good reason prompted me to start migrating my things over here (very soon!) as well as work on my stand-alone website. I had meant to get my shop here opened March 1st, but wound up delaying it until April, and I can't wait to get started!  I haven't decided yet if I'll wind up closing my Etsy shop or not--honestly, one of the main reasons I'd want to stick with it is solely because some of the great mosaic teams I'm in over there...but sales-wise, I could care less.  I am itching for the FB app you guys have in the works, too, so I can take down the Etsy one!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »
Well we look forward to having you with us FischerFineArts! The FB app however is on the back burner. The person who was going to make it for us came into some issues. But we'll get it done eventually. As far as staying with Etsy that is a personal decision, but I think everyone should have their own dotcom website. Think of it this way, not that etsy or any of the handmade marketplaces will close down, but you'll have a back door. I think using a self hosted wordpress site is the best alternative. Google loves wordpress and you can use it to help promote your shop as well. We have 2 self hosted wordpress sites for our personal products, http://chainmaillebymboi.com and http://makinthebestofit.com. We also use knownhost to host our websites including this one, and they are excellent.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »
Well we look forward to having you with us FischerFineArts! The FB app however is on the back burner. The person who was going to make it for us came into some issues. But we'll get it done eventually. As far as staying with Etsy that is a personal decision, but I think everyone should have their own dotcom website. Think of it this way, not that etsy or any of the handmade marketplaces will close down, but you'll have a back door. I think using a self hosted wordpress site is the best alternative. Google loves wordpress and you can use it to help promote your shop as well. We have 2 self hosted wordpress sites for our personal products, http://chainmaillebymboi.com and http://makinthebestofit.com. We also use knownhost to host our websites including this one, and they are excellent.

I want my own dotcom but I sure don't understand one bit of what it takes to set up a website once you register a domain name - hey, I'm a book binder, whaddya expect?  :-\ [size=78%] [/size]

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »
I am a firm believer in having multiple places you sell just in case whether it is your own dotcom or other multivendor sites.  Bottom line is things happen and I think people should have a backup plan.  As Andrew said we also have stand alone sites and have no plans to shut them down because we have a following through them.  We promote HAF all the time and very rarely those sites but they still get hits and we get sales...most of mine are for the custom wedding items and I don't want to lose that.

FischerFineArts

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »
Thanks, and you can call me Mel, or if remembering names (which I know I get bad at), FFA, lol.

I do have a dot com site and was lucky enough to get free for life for the pro version. No % in sales cut, the only thing I need to do is renew my domain annually...yes, the site is E-commerce so it's nice to give people another option for buying, other than Etsy. But once I have my shop here up and running, I will be marketing this place as my primary.

That may not make sense to a lot of people, but it boils down to a marketing thing.  With many forms of artwork, people don't necessarily know that what you have is what they want until they actually run across it. It's not necessarily something they'd search for on their own; it has to be 'discovered' in a sense. It is by far harder to market a stand alone site than it is to market a site like this one, where it already draws a certain clientele. It's exactly the same principle as how fast food places do best when they are located on a street with a lot of other competition, such as Arby's, McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc all being within close proximity.  You drive down the street knowing your kids want tacos, but you'd rather get a salad from Wendy's, so you just hit two drive-thru's and head on home and everyone's happy. Or as you're driving down the street, it hits you that you are hungry and seeing all the options, odds are you will stop at one of them to pick up a quick meal.  With your site, the more creative artists join up and create shops to start filling things in, the more people will come back to browse through what's new on the site.

Furthermore, by going to a juried selection of shops at some point, the quality will be there and people can trust that they are buying from some of the very best in their fields.  It doesn't come into play just yet, as juried isn't in place yet, but it will definitely set this site apart from others down the line.  I love the fact that you have a cap to how many shops in each category you'll accept. That also ensures that nobody will get "lost" like many of us do on Etsy.  I will bet you anything that when this site reaches capacity or close to it, so many of the people who may have poo-poo'd it in the past will regret doing so as they simply won't be able to get in until there's a vacancy...oh, but they'd have to be juried in as well!

Part of what draws me here is the fact that I love how supportive this community is of one another. I love the fact that you guys, as admin, DO listen and take to heart what we say and suggest. I'm definitely willing to help out as much as I can since you guys are so willing to help us.

The fact that you even help out with marketing is totally priceless! Gee, now I sound like an ad for you guys...but it's my honest opinion!

Much love to you all...and...well...I may just start setting up my shop right now!  ;)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »
You do sound like an ad and we love it!  I also believe that you are right in that once it really gets rolling, the juried aspect is going to set us apart from the rest.  We have already talked about how that will work and I think it will take HAF to a new level; but one thing at a time.

You are right about getting found on your own site.  Mine has been up for a number of years and it is just now getting found regularly, like I said mostly for the wedding stuff, by brides thanks to word of mouth.  I love multivendor sites because I have run into so many things I didn't know I wanted until I was browsing!

FischerFineArts

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2012, 02:17:09 PM »
Bah,. I generally keep my PayPal account virtually empty, but looks like it could take 3-5 days to transfer funds there, so setting up shop now may not happen as fast as today. I'll see what happens if I try it now, though...if not, may be a few days.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2012, 08:22:20 PM »
That may not make sense to a lot of people, but it boils down to a marketing thing.  With many forms of artwork, people don't necessarily know that what you have is what they want until they actually run across it. It's not necessarily something they'd search for on their own; it has to be 'discovered' in a sense. It is by far harder to market a stand alone site than it is to market a site like this one, where it already draws a certain clientele. It's exactly the same principle as how fast food places do best when they are located on a street with a lot of other competition, such as Arby's, McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc all being within close proximity.  You drive down the street knowing your kids want tacos, but you'd rather get a salad from Wendy's, so you just hit two drive-thru's and head on home and everyone's happy. Or as you're driving down the street, it hits you that you are hungry and seeing all the options, odds are you will stop at one of them to pick up a quick meal.  With your site, the more creative artists join up and create shops to start filling things in, the more people will come back to browse through what's new on the site.

Thank you!  This is what I've tried to get across to new vendors here who are wary of a dearth in immediate sales, and you've said it better than I've ever thought to.  I'm going to point the new kids right here to this post when it comes up.

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »
It's weird how they let people sell things like those apple necklaces & then shut down someone like Monika!  even if she has some vintage items in her shop, that shouldn't be grounds for getting shut down, right!  But string an "eaten apple" charm on a chain and call it "handmade" is ok??  And not even any notice!
I'd be pretty upset too!
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com