Author Topic: I thought handmade is already defined lol etsy...  (Read 70894 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: I thought handmade is already defined lol etsy...
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 07:34:31 PM »
Am I really snooty if the idea that throwing a pendant on a chain = handmade makes me a little ill?  There's no design there, even.  Hell, I do it every day - I have more pendants than chains so I mix & match.  Am I really making handmade jewelry?  Really?

There's a huge difference, I think, between that and what some of our artisans here do.  I mean, not everyone here makes his or her own focals or beads, but everyone here who does jewelry at least designs it.  They take multiple beads and try out the combinations to see how they look.  They try different ways of affixing them together.  They add focals or don't, depending on their preference.  There's design there.

Or am I watching too much project runway?  Put a t-shirt and shorts down the runway & you're getting kicked off.  Do something new or at least your own to the t-shirt & shorts, and you might actually win.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
Guess we are not the only ones laughing.  Check out this listing which according to Etsy is handmade and Etsy legal  http://www.etsy.com/listing/94311647/industrial-steel-pendant-steampunk

If I wasn't already married, I'd go for this guy, just for his sense of humor!

My favorite part is the "You don't get the second tie unless you buy two of these!"  But you know what...  It will probably sell!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »
Guess we are not the only ones laughing.  Check out this listing which according to Etsy is handmade and Etsy legal  http://www.etsy.com/listing/94311647/industrial-steel-pendant-steampunk

If I wasn't already married, I'd go for this guy, just for his sense of humor!

My favorite part is the "You don't get the second tie unless you buy two of these!"  But you know what...  It will probably sell!

I'd almost buy it just to support the laugh!

Offline thepeasantpailfull

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 12:01:19 AM »
Slightly related...lost my hope for this upcoming place...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=164468807002077&set=a.149143751867916.32013.140017802780511&type=3

In the comments section " so different and unique"...I hope I'm not being too much of a hater here....I went to check on them and couldn't resist.

I mean I guess in this case they are pearls...am I overreacting?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:05:54 AM by thepeasantpailfull »

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 12:23:04 AM »
Slightly related...lost my hope for this upcoming place...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=164468807002077&set=a.149143751867916.32013.140017802780511&type=3

In the comments section " so different and unique"...I hope I'm not being too much of a hater here....I went to check on them and couldn't resist.

I mean I guess in this case they are pearls...am I overreacting?

1.  It's pretty ugly.
2.  I've never made an item of jewelry in my life and I could do that.
3.  The cord cheapens the pearls.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 06:31:09 AM »
Girls and gents, I decided I was done with etsy, but those items you all posted got me all riled up again. Soooooo unfair and unbelievable.....(aarrrgghhhh)..... >:(

OK trying to emotionally distance myself.....however they ruined pretty much 9 years of hard work in my buisness, a well established clientel I had and I could not even access them too tell them I moved.....

Good morning all, sweet cheeks :D....we are getting a lot of rain here, and I am grateful we are not in the tornado alley. Those poor people.....

Off to breakfast.....

Offline thepeasantpailfull

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 10:16:25 AM »
Sorry to get you riled,I just couldn't resist. It's good that crafts are cool now but it also means any hipster is artist I guess. I just couldn't believe that quote...all the people supporting it make me think I'm missing something...

...by the way thirty bucks for pearls on a cord if you were curious.

It's such a shame,they're not really open yet but proclaim to be handmade only and supplies as well...one stop shopping since since artist need supplies they say.

I guess this is also what I was chatting about the other day...would it be safe to assume we draw the line there and I should report any such corded pearls? None exist that I know of but just asking because I also meant things like this.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:27:53 AM by thepeasantpailfull »

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »
Sorry to get you riled,I just couldn't resist. It's good that crafts are cool now but it also means any hipster is artist I guess. I just couldn't believe that quote...all the people supporting it make me think I'm missing something...

...by the way thirty bucks for pearls on a cord if you were curious.

It's such a shame,they're not really open yet but proclaim to be handmade only and supplies as well...one stop shopping since since artist need supplies they say.

I guess this is also what I was chatting about the other day...would it be safe to assume we draw the line there and I should report any such corded pearls? None exist that I know of but just asking because I also meant things like this.

Report here you mean?  By all means, yes!  We are planning on letting in a certain number and after that jurying in artists into categories that need filling and as others drop off.  I'm sure we run the risk of sounding snobbish but I really intent to have this site be the Tiffany's while they can stay the Walmart.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 05:20:31 PM »

Ok, I went to see and the half the picture shows. I see wire and zip ties. I scroll down to get the whole picture. Zip ties with nuts! Why didn't I come up with that? :o

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »

Ok, I went to see and the half the picture shows. I see wire and zip ties. I scroll down to get the whole picture. Zip ties with nuts! Why didn't I come up with that? :o

You can't question pure talent!  :P  Funny thing is, it will probably make the front page any day now!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »
Well, I have a whole lot of pearls too! I could string some up real fast for ya! ;)

BTW, did you read the description for the pendant. You DON"T get the top zip tie. It's just there to hold the "pendant" to the "display".  ;D

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 07:25:31 AM »
Oh DANG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You only get one zip tie.....sheeesh and I had planned to put them on my peg board,
3 nuts each.................. :o :o :o

ROFTLOL........ :o :o >:( :P ;D

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 10:48:20 AM »
Oh DANG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You only get one zip tie.....sheeesh and I had planned to put them on my peg board,
3 nuts each.................. :o :o :o

ROFTLOL........ :o :o >:( :P ;D
I bet if you PM'ed him, he might be willing to include the second zip tie for a nominal fee... (plus extra shipping)  ;D ;D ;D ;D

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »
This is toooooo funny, Matt ;D ;D ;D

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
Someone was having fun with Etsy's treasury...featuring all "handmade" owls!  Somehow, someway a bunch of handmade artists came up with the exact same design!  Funny how that works... http://www.etsy.com/treasury/MTU0NTkzNjV8MjM5Nzg2MzY3Mg/simply-unique?page=5&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share#comments