Author Topic: Considering Some Major Changes to all the Sites  (Read 28804 times)

zoraida

Re: Considering Some Major Changes to all the Sites
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 07:59:45 AM »
Whatever shortens that url and simplifies the process works for me.  I'm technically challenged and am not big on forums.  I do like the treasury/collections idea as I use it a lot on Artfire.

On another note, I would love it if our product photos could be larger.

Thanks for all the hard work you do.

Offline brooklynbeadgoddess

• Wearable Art
    • View Profile
    • brooklynbeadgoddess
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 08:01:38 AM »
Got your email...wanted to respond but got confused with my passwords. I reset it and now I'm in...So...I'm loving this new idea...
Personally, I enjoy keeping up with what is best for us here. Thank you for your hard work and I support your new mission!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »

Just my two cents, but maybe use the present blog domain.. Not absolutely sure it will help, but keeping those bots crawling an existing blog domain/site may be best.. Blogs and blog content are king !

The present blog will be redirected and the bots will find it no problem, I do think there will be a transition period. But we submit site maps automatically so google will figure it out quickly.

Say.. Off topic, but does a guest have to register and become a member in order to purchase from the shops as they are set up now.. ?
Yes buyers on the shop do have to register, they have to pick a username and password, that is it.

Whatever shortens that url and simplifies the process works for me.  I'm technically challenged and am not big on forums.  I do like the treasury/collections idea as I use it a lot on Artfire.

On another note, I would love it if our product photos could be larger.

Thanks for all the hard work you do.
I hear you, this will be low on the list right now. I think there might be a need for a little more change there on the product pages. I have some ideas but we sort of need to back burner it for just a bit.
As a new member, I always thought it odd that I had to have separate logins for the forum and shop.  It will be nice to have one login to get access to both.  You had mentioned that existing members might still have to use separate logins.  Since I used the same login for both, would that still apply?
Not sure yet. I was going to speculate but decided i should just wait. The issue to me is the existing user lists, thousands of members between the sites. If they can be matched up somehow we may be able to centralize them. The thing to still understand is that all the sites will be on one domain but there will still be 3 separate sites one custom built, one worpress blog, and one smf forum. Getting them to talk has been an issue. Our developers have already figured this out with the shop to the blog so that isn't an issue. If you are logged into the shop you will be logged into the blog. The forum is going to be the trick. If you search the internet as I have before, looking for wordpress smf bridges, you'll see that many have been made and none have worked, all fail. Now we believe that we will be able to do it going forward and our developers are working on it right now, but the existing user lists are up the air as to how they will be handled. Just using myself as an example I have 3 different accounts on the sites and 3 different email addresses. Not everyone is going to use a different email address, but you'd be surprised. I see it all the time. That is gong to be the trick so, we'll let you know, we need to give our developers some time to work it out.

Offline wingnscales

• View Profile
    • Wings N Scales
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 10:41:02 AM »
Wow...that sounds like a lot of work but well worth it!  I do have one concern that I had not mentioned to you earlier.
 To begin with, I have lots of hits, but no sales.  But I did set up an item to sell here at my shop from a customer I had at an event.  She did not want to purchase it here because she did not want to have to join the website to become a member.  I know its not a big deal to most people, but is there a way a person can buy without having to join the website?  I have seen where other websites where you can purchase as a guest, not as a member.  I dont know if this could be a deterrent? Just an idea...
Heck, as far as I know you have it set up that way and I just dont know it because I am a member..LOL
Anyway, just my 2 cents...I love it here!  I just want a few (tons) sales..  :-) One would make me happy..hehehe

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »
  I have seen where other websites where you can purchase as a guest, not as a member.  I dont know if this could be a deterrent?

I've added it to the list as something to look into. I was going to set it up that way in the beginning as an option and was talked out of it by my developer. Many sites require it, and some sites have a quest checkout. We'll look into it and see if it is something we can add.

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
The email got my attention too ;D I am all for improvements in bringing attention to our art...
A great big THANK YOU to you guys for putting all that effort into this site..

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »
Exciting!! :D

Offline TaoGem

• View Profile
    • TaoGem Gemstone Cabochons
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »
  I have seen where other websites where you can purchase as a guest, not as a member.  I dont know if this could be a deterrent?

I've added it to the list as something to look into. I was going to set it up that way in the beginning as an option and was talked out of it by my developer. Many sites require it, and some sites have a quest checkout. We'll look into it and see if it is something we can add.

Raises hand in agreement.......  :)

Offline Red Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »
I have to admit that all of this makes me super happy. I'm not a good person for going on the boards or the blog since I'm always worried about that shop and don't come visit this part as much as I should.  Having it all in one place will definitely make it easier. Can't wait!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »
I am so glad that people are understanding most of what we are trying to do.  Andrew and I weren't sure what the reaction would be.
For those that have not been with us long, you have to understand that this site was built backwards (forum to blog to shop) because when we began the forum we had NO intention of ever building a shop.  That came along after a lot of thought and discussion with members about what one shop had or another did not.
Hopefully, the transition will be super smooth without many glitches, but even with glitches I have no doubt they will be fixed quickly and fairly painlessly as we have thought this through for a while and discussed various possibilities and glitches with our developer.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
The new forum theme isn't done yet but I'm assuming it will look similar to the shop, as we are going to use the shop blog theme for the blog so 2 of the 3 components are already done. I'll guess I'll mention it here now but we are considering removing all the advertising from the forum. The blog will not have any advertising on it since we are keeping the new theme which you can see here http://handmadeartistsshop.com/blog/
This issue for me with removing advertising is one the featured member ads on the right. We have done this from the beginning for our members for free but not sure if it will work with the new look. Second the project wonderful ads on the right give us advertising money that we then re-spend on advertising for the sites. I do not want to stop that advertising so Kimberly and I will have to discuss paying for this out of our own pockets and if we can afford it or not. I spoke with her a few minutes ago and we are going to think about it. But we will need to make a decision soon as I need to give clear direction to our developer for designing the forum theme. I just have always believed that the ads take away from the site but they were a necessary evil and helped us get funds to move the site forward. One thing to think about is that the featured member ads are also displayed on this page http://handmadeartistsforum.com/members-shops/ and I don't see why we can't keep that going. But the sidebars may be an issue.
Still too many things up in the air. We'll see

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 02:10:18 PM »
It does seem that it will be too busy looking with the ads.  From my perspective it is not a big deal.  I think your support with tweet, etc, is much more meaningful.  My question is, is it possible to streamline the blog a bit further.  The page looks quite busy.  Could some items from the left be on the bottom?  Just wondering, I think it would make it easier to focus on one area at a time.

Offline TaoGem

• View Profile
    • TaoGem Gemstone Cabochons
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 03:14:45 PM »
It does seem that it will be too busy looking with the ads.  From my perspective it is not a big deal.  I think your support with tweet, etc, is much more meaningful.  My question is, is it possible to streamline the blog a bit further.  The page looks quite busy.  Could some items from the left be on the bottom?  Just wondering, I think it would make it easier to focus on one area at a time.

I know from experience with my forum that upkeeping banners like this is a bit of work..

Just my two cents, but I agree that could easily do without them..

You guys are great by the way !

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 03:35:03 PM »
As far as the ads on the forum go I personally want to get rid of them. The issue is the ones on the right pay for a bunch of advertising we spend. so if we give them up then we would have to supplement the ad budget out of out pocket. Which we are considering. The ones on the left are just something we have done for free since the creatiion of the site. I would feel bad taking them down, but honestly I would only feel bad about taking some of them down, as some people there just do not participate  and just use us for free advertising. We may just have to clean out all the users no matter what we do.  :evil:

Lisa we have control over the left sidebar of the blog and can move things around freely, I can see some change over there in the future. Not too worried about that right this sec though.