Author Topic: Playing with winged and crawly things.  (Read 6253 times)

Offline youvegotmaille

• View Profile
    • You've Got Maille
Re: Playing with winged and crawly things.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 09:11:24 AM »
Oh wow, awesome!  I have a fellow Wire Artisans Guild member who does wire critters... wish the wire was that cooperative for me.

This is so neat though!  More!

Offline rosiewildwoman

• Normal is not an Option
    • View Profile
    • Wildwoman Creations
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 09:13:29 AM »
I am not sure if I am to respond to each post or just reply once at the end of the topic??  help....In the meantime, thanks to all for the comments.  The idea came from a customer who came into the studio wearing one.  She explained how she did it.  It is a rubber gecko, tail is reinforced with wire (so it will curl nicely), wrapped in tape and then wrapped in ribbon and then beads meticulously sewn on...Took her a long time.  I took the same gecko (from the dollar store) wrapped the tail with wire and electrical tape and then wrapped the whole lizard with terribly tacky tape, attached a pin with E6000 to the back  and then breaded the whole thing in beads like you would bread chicken.  I used glitter and micro-beads to fill in any areas that the big beads did not catch.   I am now doing insects, spiders and anything else that holds still long enough, my dear husband next. LOL.  Rosie the wildwoman

You may respond whenever you feel like it. We sorta do whatever we feel like.

I am one of those who meticulously sew on the dreaded beads, but I have to admit, your way is much easier.  I don't think you'll convert me though. May I interest you in bead embroidery? :D

Jeanne

I love bead embroidery but havent gone there yet.  I am playing with needle felting embellishment on hats that I find thrifting and am taking a class in July on actually wet felting a hat.  I love it all and would love to see some bead embroidery you have done.  Rosie the wildwoman

Jeanne

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 09:17:31 AM »
I am not sure if I am to respond to each post or just reply once at the end of the topic??  help....In the meantime, thanks to all for the comments.  The idea came from a customer who came into the studio wearing one.  She explained how she did it.  It is a rubber gecko, tail is reinforced with wire (so it will curl nicely), wrapped in tape and then wrapped in ribbon and then beads meticulously sewn on...Took her a long time.  I took the same gecko (from the dollar store) wrapped the tail with wire and electrical tape and then wrapped the whole lizard with terribly tacky tape, attached a pin with E6000 to the back  and then breaded the whole thing in beads like you would bread chicken.  I used glitter and micro-beads to fill in any areas that the big beads did not catch.   I am now doing insects, spiders and anything else that holds still long enough, my dear husband next. LOL.  Rosie the wildwoman

You may respond whenever you feel like it. We sorta do whatever we feel like.

I am one of those who meticulously sew on the dreaded beads, but I have to admit, your way is much easier.  I don't think you'll convert me though. May I interest you in bead embroidery? :D

Jeanne

I love bead embroidery but havent gone there yet.  I am playing with needle felting embellishment on hats that I find thrifting and am taking a class in July on actually wet felting a hat.  I love it all and would love to see some bead embroidery you have done.  Rosie the wildwoman
Here is my blog address http://gammiebrat.blogspot.com/  My sig pic is a doll I have done.

Oh, needle felting is something I haven't tried and would like to.

Offline rosiewildwoman

• View Profile
    • Wildwoman Creations
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 09:19:23 AM »
would love to see some bead embroidery.  I love what can be done with beads, all shapes, all sizes, all mediums.  I am a cross over the line jewelry artist who likes to mix mediums and genres.  Nothing is sacred for me.... This is some of my newest work with stenciling, coloring and manipulating aluminum

Offline Manic Butterfly

• View Profile
    • Manic Butterfly Jewels
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 02:44:23 PM »
That's really cute! Did you stamp the design into the aluminum first? What did you use for the coloring?

Very cool!  :)

Jeanne

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 03:12:59 PM »
Love it.

Offline rosiewildwoman

• View Profile
    • Wildwoman Creations
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 11:02:12 PM »
That's really cute! Did you stamp the design into the aluminum first? What did you use for the coloring?

Very cool!  :)

The design is a stenciling technique on the metal with a product that actually is made for wood.  It is called wood icing.  You trowel it over the stencil, lift the stencil, dry and then sand smooth and then color.  Coloring is done with Lumineres, alcohol inks, acryllics, color magic and anything else that draws my attention.  I am a fiddler and I just fiddle until I get what I want.  What I am liking is the texture that I am creating and in this piece you can see I also
added a product called angelina film that when applied with diamond glaze and then hit with a heat gun will resemble dichroic glass which I use in my fusing and torch work and is very expensive, so I love this poor mans dichroic look I am getting with the angelina.