Author Topic: Does Twitter actually help your business?  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
Does Twitter actually help your business?
« on: December 17, 2011, 01:08:14 PM »
Well, I finally broke down and joined Twitter this week.  I've read a lot of books about starting/promoting your business that recommended having an account on twitter for your business and you constantly hear about how many people are using Twitter that I finally decided to try it.  I'm terrible at promoting my work and have a really hard time doing so (no one likes a pushy salesperson and I'm always afraid it's going to come across that way). 

I know I need to find more ways to actually promote my work so that I'm giving it the best chance I can of being seen (and, hopefully, bought), but I don't want to get sucked into something that's not really going to help, but simply eat of time doing it without any results.

I know a lot of people here have Twitter accounts for promoting their work and so was just wondering.  Has it actually helped you?

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Does Twitter actually help your business?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:03:48 PM »
You know how I feel about this, at least I hope you do LOL. I say join and use it. Twitter is one of the top sites in the world, I know for a fact it brings traffic and sales. The way I figure it the more eyes on your work the better chance you have at selling it. As far as self promotion goes, I do very little of it. I spend 99% of my time promoting others and slip in self promotion every now and then. So that is a method you can use. Up to you. I'm planning on writing another article about link building on the HAFshop. I just wrote one on twitter here  http://handmadeartistsshop.com/blog/tweet-handmade

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
I myself have had a love/hate relationship with Twitter.  I can do the planned tweet thing, but I'm terrible at doing the random tweeting about myself or whatever so I feel like my Twitter feed just reads like an ongoing advertisement.   :-[  But I do agree that it brings in traffic!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:29:24 AM »
I stepped away from it for a while but really need to start Tweeting again because it really does bring in traffic.  I usually schedule tweets for a few days and then slip in personal ones here and there when I think of it just so it doesn't read like an advertisement all the time.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:20:43 PM »
It helps to just retweet other people too. That way it doesn't always look like it's always just about you. Make sense?

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »
Thanks for all the info and advice!  Well,  I guess I'll give it a try and just see how it goes (it certainly can't hurt). I'm up to 11 followers since joining on Thrusday and that certainly is a more than my blog in far less time (I started my blog in March and it only has 6 people following it).

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:58:49 PM »
Thanks for all the info and advice!  Well,  I guess I'll give it a try and just see how it goes (it certainly can't hurt). I'm up to 11 followers since joining on Thrusday and that certainly is a more than my blog in far less time (I started my blog in March and it only has 6 people following it).

I'm following now. Blogs do take time, but it will come. Just keep at it. Join the blog ring when we start it up again. It's a great way to get exposure and more followers.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 11:24:01 AM »

I'm following now. Blogs do take time, but it will come. Just keep at it. Join the blog ring when we start it up again. It's a great way to get exposure and more followers.

Thank ye, Trusk4u! *hugs*

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 03:32:50 AM »
I have often wondered the same thing - is it really just something that's going to eat up my time without any  benefit -
I can tell you this - I haven't sent out any tweets in oh 5 months - but I do get so many hits on my items in the HAF shop thanks to all the promotion that's done by Andrew & Kimberly and others here - I have lots of tweets to pay back when I finally get back to my normal life and not taking care of my grand kids ( with mixed emotions).
Funny - even tho I haven't been on twitter for some time, I still get new followers from time to time!
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »
I've been getting the occasional legit follower too even though I'm pretty bad about tweeting.  I'm getting better though!  :)

Offline sewingdreams

• View Profile
    • Sewing Dreams & Notions Etsy Shop
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 07:13:01 PM »
I find twitter helps with views. I have got sales from it also. I talk about what I am working on as well as posting new items & sales

Offline ldkeesee

• View Profile
    • Mixed Kreations
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »
Since I have been twittering on a regular basis now, I have found that I have been getting more views. No sales yet though.  I've read a lot about marketing yourself on social networks, and they say to sharing information and leave comments. So that's what I been doing. If I find good articles, info, etc. or just something I like I post it. I retweet others things and post a few of my things. some say it only takes 15 mins a day, but I seem to spend a lot more time then that.  :-\