Author Topic: Our southerners ok?  (Read 9095 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Our southerners ok?
« on: August 23, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
My first earthquake experience all the way up here in northern NJ.  We got evacuated from the court after the chandeliers shook.  So how 'bout you all closer to or in Virginia?  All is well?

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: Our southerners ok?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »
So far so good. Personally I think I heard it more than felt it. Sounded like one of those huge helicopters flying really low.
I am more concerned with the possibility of a hurricane this weekend. We aren't really far (150 miles or so) from the coast and one projected path has it hitting at Wilmington and going straight north. That would put it right over Raleigh and about 50 miles east of us. Getting supplies together just in case.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
Yeah, someone told me earlier we're supposed to get a hurricane.  Nifty.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:48:05 PM »
If it isn't one thing it is another!  Please prepare and be safe and keep us posted this weekend.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:51:01 PM »
If it isn't one thing it is another!  Please prepare and be safe and keep us posted this weekend.

We're supposed to be hit too.  You're near the shore, no?  You need to be safe too!

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Hope everyone is OK

2012?

Now you guys know what us westies are sometimes subjected to!  ;D

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »

We're supposed to be hit too.  You're near the shore, no?  You need to be safe too!
How sad is it that I didn't even think about the fact that we live here too!  Guess I will take stock this week and make sure we have everything.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
Hope everyone is OK

2012?

Now you guys know what us westies are sometimes subjected to!  ;D

Yeah, except out here no one has any idea how to deal with it.  The Hudson County Court is 2 buildings. 

I was in the old (prettier) one when it happened, and the chandeliers were swaying.  The sheriff's officers frantically evacuated us all, telling us to all get out, use the stairs, and stay away from the elevators.

In the newer (ugly) building, right next door, where I next went to file some documents, the sheriff's officers seemed asleep, completely unconcerned, and let me take the elevator to the 4th floor.  Go figure.

Kim, you need to rest, I think!

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 06:57:31 AM »
We felt it here in West Virginia as well. I was home working on my computer when the house starting shaking. It actually happened a few times, with a couple of seconds intervall in between... I looked around to see if it was some construction vehicle but did not see anything. I In the back of my mind I thought about an earthquake but did not want to say the word... Finaly, I told my husband "I hope it's not an earthquake", then we turned the TV on...

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 09:20:51 AM »
Another thing I didn't think of...just a note to everyone on the forum AND those with a shop...
We tweet, stumble, etc every listing from our computers at home!  If we should get hit and there is problems with power or internet then we will not be able to do anything about anything until it is back up and running.  The Mods in other areas can answer basic questions, but really, depending on what happens, Andrew and I may be out of touch for a few days.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
Another thing I didn't think of...just a note to everyone on the forum AND those with a shop...
We tweet, stumble, etc every listing from our computers at home!  If we should get hit and there is problems with power or internet then we will not be able to do anything about anything until it is back up and running.  The Mods in other areas can answer basic questions, but really, depending on what happens, Andrew and I may be out of touch for a few days.

We love you anyway!

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 11:55:39 AM »

I'm sure no one would blame you personally should that happen. Some things we just can't control. All will be fine!

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 05:56:46 PM »
I hope everyone is unscathed by the hurricane.  Whatever happens, nobody can control the weather, so what happens happens. 
Kim and Andrew, don't worry about your vendors, just be safe.

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 11:57:33 PM »
Be safe, everyone! We plan to move to the east coast of NC someday, and stories like these always freak me out! What do you do if a hurricane hits? Board up your house? Move west for a short period?

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 06:38:48 AM »
Well, from everything they are reporting, this hurricane is going to hit the outer banks, so those of us inland won't get much from this. Gusty winds is all. Those of you to the north however , it is projected to go right over you as a Cat. 2, so get supplies together and be safe!