Author Topic: I NEED a critique please!  (Read 4313 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
I NEED a critique please!
« on: August 06, 2011, 03:20:57 PM »
Here is the link to my HAS shop, HAFshop. I've been watching my stats and though overall I feel they are pretty good, many are 1 time visitors. They are looking but not coming back so much.  Please take a minute and look at my shop and see if anything is apparent that I am missing. I need honest answers, constructive criticism. I can handle whatever you throw at me.
Thanks in advance for your help.
http://new.handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/trusk4u

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I NEED a critique please!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:50:50 AM »
I'll let the other professionals handle the constructive criticism. Some of it may be simply the site is new, it will take time to build return buyers and clientel for the site not just individual shops. We've talked to people and Etsy is almost a household name, so this may be an issue of just time.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:18:14 AM »
Oh, I am sure that at least some of it is due to the site being new and all. Things do take time I know. I am not known for my patience however. ::)

I really want some fresh eyes to look. After a while it all starts looking the same. Maybe that's my problem. ???

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:26:47 AM »
Your things are beautiful, but your jewelry is fading into the background on the pictures.  It might help to play with the lighting or adjust the exposure.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
Lisa, My camera is extremely basic so there is not much adjusting I can do that way. I do use a light box because the lighting in my house varies so much and I often have to do this stuff in the evening. I use Picasa to lighten the backgrounds mostly. I try not to do it too much, but do you think that might be the case? I've "over lightened" the background?
Thanks for your input.

Offline BooJayKnits

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:24:15 PM »
First, let me say that I'm VERY new to HAS, but I have a few months' experience selling on other venues.

Your pieces are gorgeous. I especially like your pearl and wire wrapped pieces.

First, I agree with the PP about the pics. I also had to deal with a basic camera for awhile, and what helped me was upping saturation and shadows a little, using picnik or picasa. That "popped" my things out from the background. Great idea for the light box, btw. Where did you get it?

Second, your prices seem a little low compared to similar items. Maybe raise them a little and see what happens to your views?

Good luck!

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 06:20:25 PM »
First welcome BooJay! Thanks for your input. I know that some of my pictures are really quite bad. I will try and work on the worst of them when I have time.
I made the light box. It is falling apart a bit though, so it's probably time to make a new one It's basically a cardboard box with the the top flaps removed and one side. The 2 remaining sides have "windows" cut in them and are covered with white muslin. The bottom has white muslin, and the back has muslin draped with a curve at the bottom so that there is no horizon line. If you search "how to make a light box" I'm sure you'll find several tutorials on how to make one. It's cheap and easy.

As for my prices, they have been all over the place. I suppose I should raise some of them, but I've tried that strategy on Etsy and it never helped a bit. Keeping them moderate seemed to work best.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »
You know that I am a fan of your work but I agree with picture comments...not only yours but mine too!  Pictures are going to be the one thing about this business that push me over the edge.  Other than that, keep plugging along and you know we will help to get you as much exposure as we can so that the perfect buyer can find you!

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 06:03:18 PM »
I have struggled with pictures since day 1! They've gotten much better, but still aren't up to par for the most part. Since my landlady at the store is a professional photographer, maybe she can give me some pointers.

Kim and Andrew, thank you so much for the wonderful :-[ article on the front page of the shop site! I'm very flattered and did share it on FAcebook. You guys are just too nice to me, but I'll take it! :-*

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 06:20:24 PM »
I have struggled with pictures since day 1! They've gotten much better, but still aren't up to par for the most part. Since my landlady at the store is a professional photographer, maybe she can give me some pointers.

Kim and Andrew, thank you so much for the wonderful :-[ article on the front page of the shop site! I'm very flattered and did share it on FAcebook. You guys are just too nice to me, but I'll take it! :-*
First of all you are more than welcome and the feature if well deserved.
Second, if your friend gives you any pointers on pictures can you pass them along?  I look back at my first pictures and cringe...but there is still much room for improvement.

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:42:28 PM »
I think we all struggle with photos.  I did think the background looked a little light.  I am on about the 4th version of my pics and still hate them.  You can buy a photo tent with 2 lights and backdrops on Amazon for less than $50.  The photo tent alone is less.
I have found it very helpful editing on Picassa.  They have a free download and you can play with exposure.  I like the feature where you can adjust your whites so the rest looks better. 

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:42:22 AM »
The first thing I noticed was this picture

and it definitely blends into the rock so it's hard to see what it is.

Do you have just a basic digital camera?  Because that's what I use too and I definitely employ Picnik to help me brighten up and adjust the settings of my pictures.  I love the white background for a lot of your photos, but when you're photographing the pearls it makes it hard to see.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
SHe's on vacation this week. instead of adding alot of new things, I will try and work on some of these pictures. When I get statrted, I'll post here and you can all help me okay? If my daughter were closer, I'd have her take them. She minored in Photography.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »
I've been slowly working on my pictures. It seems to me anyway that many were kinda dark background wise, so I've been concentrating on making them brighter without washing out the product. I've been using microsoft picture manager and it seems I can control those things much better. Some things I will need to take a whole new set of pics for though. I rethinking the new background too. It's just not doing anything for me anymore.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 01:04:48 PM »
I personally love your white background, the trick is to have it white without washing it out.  For example, I love this picture http://handmadeartistsshop.com/product-details/Jewelry/Sets/Rosas%20Garden%20bracelet%20and%20earrings%20set/?pid=2011080420005323820 where you can see the color pop but this one http://handmadeartistsshop.com/product-details/Jewelry/Earrings/My%20Romance%20gemstone%20Earrings/?pid=20110708200257a6f75 is over-white and the earrings are getting lost in the glare.  It really is just a matter of playing with the camera settings as well as editing which I am hoping I will one day figure out!