Author Topic: Thoughts on Bulk Product Import  (Read 8592 times)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Bulk Product Import
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »
Kimberly and I have been discussing this and I know it has been mentioned in some other places on the forum. Bulk import from other sites was on the original plan, some work has actually been done it. But it is incomplete and I pretty much put it too the bottom of the list for now. But I'm curious as to what others think about it. Hit a button and boom your shop is set up with all your products. Honestly it scares me. Yeah we can make it happen other sites have it. But what if a reseller signs up and boom, here's hundreds of junk on the site. Right now with individual product listing the front page is a nice mix of stuff. Bulk importer boom front page full of one item. Is that far to others? I've thought of making the importer load their shop and not go to the front page, but the items will not get as much exposure. Right now new listings are automatically promoted. That's right automatically, do you really think we could promote each item individually and stay sane? :-\  Although I can't disclose my secrets, but almost each item gets automatically tweeted on a number of accounts I've heard people say 5 but they may be more LOL, each items is submitted automatically to digg and stumbleupon, and throughout the day when time permits I promote items on various facebook pages and groups as well as ThisNext and Kaboodle when I have time. All the automatic stuff pulls from the front page. I dig deeper at times to promote some stuff manually. So if we allow bulk import and not allow it on the front page, their items will not get a lot of direct promotion. There are also issues with matching up categories as other sites do not have the exact category structure as we do, we could probably work with that some how or it may require some editing on the vendors part. Maybe we can import products and load the shop backend where all the products will be there but will need to be edited one by one to go live. Now I'm starting to like that idea.
I just wanted to through this out for discussion and see what are knowledgeable members with years of experience think!The floor is open LOL

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
Re: Thoughts on Bulk Product Import
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »
So, after my last listing EXACTLY one hour ago I had EXACTLY 2550 views on that item (versus 9 views in that same time on that other site)... AIIIIIIIIIII!! ;D

Would I want this sort of exposure to end? Not a chance. I'm afraid if you did add a bulk import that would happen so infrequently, if at all, it's one of the reasons I set up shop here. I just spend a little time cutting and pasting and voila'! The only thing I'd really love to see are the photos be more compatible size wise (as I've already mentioned in another thread so I won't beat a dead horse on that subject here)
You asked, that's my humble opinion.

Hey, really, thanks for all you and Kimberly do - y'all are the best!

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:46:17 PM »
I know some want it.. but I'm not one of them.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »
From what you've ssid here, I'm not a fan of the idea.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, like Andrew said, my concern was that a reseller can upload 100 items before we catch them since we can't be watching 24/7.  I guess I was hoping that since it is easy to add products, people wouldn't mind having to load products individually.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:53:56 PM »
I vote no.  :police: Cutting and pasting is simple enough to do.

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 03:20:46 PM »
I go with the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, like Andrew said, my concern was that a reseller can upload 100 items before we catch them since we can't be watching 24/7.

You mean you don't have one eye open ALL THE TIME? Even when you're sleeping? What a bunch of slackers! LOL!  :o

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, like Andrew said, my concern was that a reseller can upload 100 items before we catch them since we can't be watching 24/7.

You mean you don't have one eye open ALL THE TIME? Even when you're sleeping? What a bunch of slackers! LOL!  :o
Don't laugh...sometimes I am fixing things in my sleep and then trying to figure out why it isn't done when I wake up!  Think this place is starting to get to me?  :-\

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 11:05:07 PM »

Don't laugh...sometimes I am fixing things in my sleep and then trying to figure out why it isn't done when I wake up!  Think this place is starting to get to me?  :-\
You wear me out just reading what you're doing for the day!
I vote no to the bulk thingy.  If it will help keep the resellers at bay, then we don't need it.
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline mygrandpaspen

• Handcrafted Cards, Albums and More!
    • View Profile
    • MyGrandpasPen
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:29:51 PM »
I actually like the bulk importer idea because my diecut listings are essentially a cut and paste from my other shops. It would certainly save me time to be able to import those.

On the other hand I can certainly appreciate your concerns and reasons for not creating the bulk importer.

I'm good either way - going through each of my listings is a good way to clean things up and really make each one what I want it to be.

Jeanine

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 07:21:20 AM »
I'm actually going to resurface this issue. We've been contacted a number of times from people requesting a bulk import. Well I think we need to comply, I believe I was thinking about this wrong in the beginning. I was thinking that the bulk import would throw the products live right away and I couldn't get over that fact.

Some of the problem with a bulk etsy import is that our categories do not line up with theirs one for one, our shipping management is different, etc.
So what we are looking at doing is creating a bulk import that will import all products and put them into a draft form. Each product will then have to manually edited by the artist, making sure it has categories, shipping profile, ect. Hopefully they'll take this time to tweak the text and title for uniqueness.

I think this is the best way to handle this, one it will save the artists moving over a lot of time, and two it will ensure that each product is manually looked at before going public. Which was my biggest fear.

For those against bulk import, like me originally, I hope this explanation makes sense as Josey is looking into how we want to set it up. I think we need to do this as a venue, as we need more vendors here to build this site to where it needs to be. Bulk import will help with that. We are still too small and more vendors, products, etc is what we need to compete with the big boys. So bulk import is a necessary evil.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 08:33:01 AM »
You are running a business and you have to do things you don't necessarily want to sometimes. I think this is a good move on your part, especially with the way things are getting to be on other sites. Being able to import like that will encourage more people to open shops here and thus boosting traffic. I support your decision 100%!

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:10 AM »
I would vote no for the bulk importer because of the reseller issue, however, Andrew's idea of putting it in a draft mode would  be a good compromise  instead of copying and pasting from other sites.  It could be a mess if you don't manually tweak them since most sites don't match up with categories and shipping as Andrew mentioned.  This site is where I list first, so I am copying and pasting to the other sites.  It takes time, but once you get a system down, it's not so bad if you are only listing a few items at a time.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
I think like you said Andrew, you really don't have many options in order to grow.  I know in my head that HAS has to grow in order to compete and have us all be seen more often and quicker.  That being said.  I like to community feel that is to be had here and would not want to lose that.  That was one thing about Etsy and Artfire,  just felt lost in the shuffle of so many shops and people.

I really like that we all or many of us talk on regular basis on the forum and hash out things and support one another like I have never seen on Etsy or Artfire.  Need to protect that as we grow somehow.  Just my 2 cents.