Author Topic: OMG - Over 1100 views in less than an hour???  (Read 6359 times)

Offline DeltaMoonSoap

• View Profile
    • Delta Moon Soapworks
Re: OMG - Over 1100 views in less than an hour???
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 10:30:20 PM »
Thats fantastic! I hope you get lots of sales from it! Great exposure!

danpv

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »
The good news is the high views received as a result of Andrew's promotion.  The bad news is that according to Google Analytics, the bounce rate was over 90% and average time on my page was under 30 seconds.  Yikes!   

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 07:21:09 PM »
The good news is the high views received as a result of Andrew's promotion.  The bad news is that according to Google Analytics, the bounce rate was over 90% and average time on my page was under 30 seconds.  Yikes!
Not sure how to answer this Dan, yes the views are there from mostly my promotion. Over the past couple of years I've been working on an extensive network. The fact is that no matter what you do it takes time to build a websites' presence.  Our shop has improved 170% according to alexa in the last 3 months http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/handmadeartistsshop.com and we have only be live for about 2.5 months. Google has indexing the 17 along with 17 other bots daily and our organic hits are climbing daily. Up until a few days ago we didn't even register on google for the keyword handmade, now we are on page 3. Not page 1 that may take a couple of more months.
Saying all that, the only answer I have really is it will take time. I guess the only question you and all the other vendors need to ask themselves is -Is $5.00 a month worth the investment. It will most likely take a minimum of a year before we will be any major competition for the big boys Etsy, Artfire, and Zibbet. The other thing to consider is that we are sort of a grass roots effort, I have no investors Etsy started with a lovely contribution of 25 million and recently got another 25. I have no idea how much Artfire started with but I do know the Zibbet had a least 100k to build their site. I have described our site before, lovingly, as a pimple on Etsy's ass! The fact is we will never be as large as Etsy, don't want it. Our goal is 10k vendors, etsy has 800k registered vendors and I'm assuming about 50% active. Artfire has well over 100k vendors.
I'm a member of all kinds of groups and all I hear from vendors on all these sites is, I have no sales or slow sales, sales suck. Well the economy has been in an uproar for the last several years, entire companies are going out of business every day. So the fact that sales have slowed is just the way it is for everyone.
Our thoughts are that if we keep a totally handmade venue not allowing vintage, resellers, and mass produced supplies that handmade will actually stand a chance. Our goal of 10k vendors is there for a reason, once we hit our goal we will stop open registration and start a waiting list. The waiting list will be made up of some sort of form so we can jury an other artists we allow. The thought is if we keep high quality artisans such as yourself and jury in others to fill in gaps or fill in as others may leave that one day our site will be the go to place for handmade. Buyers will know that if they want quality and do not want to wade through the fleamarkets of the big boys that the HAFshop will be the place to go.
Anyway that is my stance and I'm sticking to it LOL
steps off soapbox......
By the way I saw the post that you left in the Etsy forums, yes I have a broad reach LOL (you can not hide :D), thanks so much. Many of our vendors do not realize that a mention here, a plug there, a tweet, a blog post, putting up a badge, and on and on is just huge to building a site. Thanks for helping to get the word our there and I hope you believe that the site is worth a $5.00 a month investment. Your on the ground floor the only way is up!!!!

Offline phoenixartstudio

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »
Congratulations! That's amazing!