Author Topic: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?  (Read 133224 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?
« Reply #345 on: February 18, 2015, 03:00:46 PM »
I don't mind doing gardening type stuff. I am just petrified of snakes and I always think there's going to be one lurking in the garden.  :o

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 18, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »
I don't mind doing gardening type stuff. I am just petrified of snakes and I always think there's going to be one lurking in the garden.  :o

LOL!  When I was little I would spend the summers at my grandmother's house and she lived waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the boonies and had huge gardens.  Because of the critters eating her plants, she put rubber snakes in the garden to keep them out.  One day my aunt was out there and all of a sudden started jumping up and down and screaming in German about the monster in the garden....meaning the rubber snake that she was convinced was going to eat her alive!  Never laughed so hard in my life

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #347 on: February 18, 2015, 08:00:07 PM »

LOL!  When I was little I would spend the summers at my grandmother's house and she lived waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the boonies and had huge gardens.  Because of the critters eating her plants, she put rubber snakes in the garden to keep them out.  One day my aunt was out there and all of a sudden started jumping up and down and screaming in German about the monster in the garden....meaning the rubber snake that she was convinced was going to eat her alive!  Never laughed so hard in my life

That is AWESOME!

Snakes don't actually scare me.  Maybe they should, but they don't.  The grubs, on the other hand.  We have grubs in our ground, and I totally freak out if one touches me.

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #348 on: March 11, 2015, 09:16:25 AM »
I am with Teresa, I am petrified of snakes. I can't even handle seeing them on TV sheesh!!
I don't like grubs ever or caterpillars and worms and anything that look like  those lol....

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #349 on: March 11, 2015, 09:43:09 AM »
I have issues with photos of insects & arachnids (except for bees now) in books, even.  I don't want to touch that part of the page!

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 06, 2015, 12:35:53 PM »
Growing tomatos, squash, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, basil romaine, other lettuces and radish
.  Will be planting carrots, radishes, corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, Juan canary melon and others as I decide

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #351 on: April 06, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »
I'd have to look at our paper to see what we're planning this year, but I know that tomatoes, cukes, peppers, squash, beans, and peas are definitely involved.  This is the first year we actually drew out a map of where we'll be planting, how many plants of each, etc.  And we're going to be building a better fence to keep out the crittters, a big one around all 4 garden boxes with a door in it, rather than just fencing each one.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 06, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »
Our garden is still covered by at least a foot or more of snow, and I scraped 3 ' of new "stuff" off my car this morning! So yes we will grow a garden, too much, but all organic....the way we beat the critters is plant extra, some for them and what they leave for us! I don't like snakes either, but my son will pick them up and relocate them to the back corner of our property, instead of watching me get the hoe and take care of them the way my Mom did! Worms and catepillars  on the other hand are fun to play with :laugh: (except the tomato hornworm.)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 07, 2015, 07:53:53 AM »
Planning out how we are going to do the garden this year and thinking of using pallets instead of turning over a huge patch of grass.  Never tried it, but it sounds like a great plan to me. 

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 09, 2015, 07:21:41 AM »
Growing up in the boonies of the UP, we had snakes. They were little copper bellies, grass snakes, etc. Didn't like them, but they didn't really bother me so much either. Living in the south, we have very large snakes and some are poisonous.

I bought a huge pot to put out on my deck and will plant herbs again. Being surrounded by farms and a really great farmer's market, I see no need to plant my own veggies.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 09, 2015, 08:15:12 AM »
Growing up in the boonies of the UP, we had snakes. They were little copper bellies, grass snakes, etc. Didn't like them, but they didn't really bother me so much either. Living in the south, we have very large snakes and some are poisonous.

I bought a huge pot to put out on my deck and will plant herbs again. Being surrounded by farms and a really great farmer's market, I see no need to plant my own veggies.

We have a ton of farmers markets here too, but I really like the idea of doing my own. 

Critters are going to be a problem for us so we have to come up with a plan to protect the plants here soon.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #356 on: April 09, 2015, 02:55:05 PM »
We have farmers markets here too, but I honestly don't trust the vendors here not to use pesticides.  Plus, gardening is fun!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #357 on: May 25, 2015, 10:04:40 PM »
Our tomatoes are ecstatic this year, and our eggplants and peppers look pretty happy too!

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 26, 2015, 09:55:02 AM »
Gardening is fun and a lot of work. I did it for years and when I had kids at home it made real sense.

We have farmers markets here too, but I honestly don't trust the vendors here not to use pesticides.   

That's why I LOVE the one we go to. ALL organic farming, ALL the time. Even the processed stuff like the pickled beets I love so much are field to jar. The cheeses come from organic farms, no hormone animals, and all that. It may be why it's a harder market to get into because they have strict standards.