Author Topic: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?  (Read 61932 times)

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
Are you growing any vegetables this summer?
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »
I decided to try growing a few tomatoes this summer. And I do believe we have a few.   Is anyone else growing vegetables this summer?
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:32:13 PM »
I'm jealous!  Our cherry tomatoes have just started to flower, so no tomatoes yet.  I love tomatoes and am really impatient.

We have been reaping the benefits of our peas, though, and the cuke plants are flowering like crazy.  The green beans just started to flower too.

The romaine lettuce is doing well, and the basil is taking over everything, including the chives.  We've got to give my sister some basil to thin it out.

No peppers yet, and the onions aren't ready.

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:47:34 AM »
I'm jealous!  Our cherry tomatoes have just started to flower, so no tomatoes yet.  I love tomatoes and am really impatient.

We have been reaping the benefits of our peas, though, and the cuke plants are flowering like crazy.  The green beans just started to flower too.

The romaine lettuce is doing well, and the basil is taking over everything, including the chives.  We've got to give my sister some basil to thin it out.

No peppers yet, and the onions aren't ready.

WOW... I'm going to your house! You have everything!  Yummers!  May I ask what is a cuke plant? I have never heard of that before...

Your garden sounds delightful... Unfortunately, we have a swimming pool, which takes up most of the yard, and no grass anywhere back there! So I am using huge pots to grow the tomatoes...

So... what time should I arrive at your place for dinner tomorrow!  lol 

Have a great night Larissa, I'll check back tomorrow, to find out what a cuke plant is... Thanks for the chat, Cari
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:49:56 AM by CrochetHooked »
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 12:50:29 AM »
Oh, LOL!  I forget that not everyone in the world calls cucumbers "cukes," like my family does.  So yeah, cucumbers.

We have a bunch of the plants in pots & window boxes on the deck, and Eric built a garden box in the yard.  It's basically the whole yard, but that was mostly useless anyway.  It was all just a bit of weeds under this big ol' tree.

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 01:34:41 AM »
My guess is you are from the northeast, cukes is pretty common.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:50:20 AM »
We always have a garden.  Tomatoes are green and hopefully ready soon; cucumbers are full of flowers, we have already gotten a few mutantly large green and yellow squash, spinach, beans, carrots.  The mint has taken over the lemon balm and the basil is trying to take over the sage.  I really need to get out there this morning and water and weed!

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 09:48:03 AM »
I have been growing a few vegetables as well. I have lots of tomatoes and the cherry tomatoes are just starting to ripen( I am super excited!) . I also have some green and red bell peppers, collard green, parsley and oregano. The picture below was taken over 3 weeks ago.

Offline aimeesrockworks

• View Profile
    • Aimee's Rock Works
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 11:34:36 AM »
Hmmm, I'm from the NW and my family calls them 'cukes' too...   8)

My potatoes, carrots and kohlrabi and raspberries seem pleased with our incredibly long "spring" (cold/wet/rainy) ... zucc/delicata squash are stunted but giving it their all ... the tomatoes (that I planted to replace other dead veg) are limping as well as my peppers. 

Mainly, I'm growing the most fabulous weeds I've ever had.  If I get brave, and it stops raining long enough for me to remove enough weeds for a picture, I'll see if I can post something green.

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 01:48:56 PM »
Hmmm, I'm from the NW and my family calls them 'cukes' too...   8)

My potatoes, carrots and kohlrabi and raspberries seem pleased with our incredibly long "spring" (cold/wet/rainy) ... zucc/delicata squash are stunted but giving it their all ... the tomatoes (that I planted to replace other dead veg) are limping as well as my peppers. 

Mainly, I'm growing the most fabulous weeds I've ever had.  If I get brave, and it stops raining long enough for me to remove enough weeds for a picture, I'll see if I can post something green.

aimeesrockworks: LMAO   :D  I can't wait to see your weed pictures!  Question... what is a kohlrabi?  I guess I could look it up on the net, but na... Love to hear others chuckle... like Larissa and her cukes... lol

Larissa:  OH Cucumbers! ... Thanks for clearing that up for me ... LOL

Wow! Look at the numerous vegetables everyone is growing in their gardens. Do my five tomatoes on one plant count as "numerous vegetables?" LOL

Thanks everyone for sharing...
Cari (CrochetHooked)

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
I have already eaten sweet pea pods, strawberries and blueberries from my garden plus herbs, dill, lemon and lime thyme, mint, lavender, and a few others I cant think of now.
 I have tomatoes which wont be ready till September and potatoes too ;)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »
We have gotten our first tomatoes off of our plants as well as more raspberries than my kids could eat!  My only problem now is that this heat wave is really drying everything out fast!  Need to start watering in the mornings again so I don't lose everything.

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 09:29:20 PM »
We always have tomatoes, though I'd like more fruits. The pears are growing on our pear trees. :D We've also begun hydroponics, so we have some tomato plants growing in the basement. For now, though, the ones outdoors are growing faster.

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 02:35:16 AM »
CraftedRoots:  LMAO  Cool... can you send me some of those basement grown tomatoes... when they ripen   :o

:P  So jealous... Pears, raspberries, blueberries, and herbs too!   WOW !  sweet peas! 

Question... some of the leaves on my tomato plants have holes in them (I know I could look it up on the net) but, any suggestions from anyone, as to what it may be?

Thanks everyone for posting... and sharing your garden, see you tomorrow.. have a good night!
Cari (CrochetHooked)

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline aimeesrockworks

• View Profile
    • Aimee's Rock Works
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 01:16:09 AM »
Already eating blueberries Matt??  Mine aren't so tasty right now!  Raspberries are taking over though.

And that's Wedge, shopping for treats (he's totally weird, loves his veggies/fruits!).

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 03:28:26 AM »
Allright!  :o  Fantastic pictures aimeesrockworks!
Thanks for sharing them ... WTG!  ;D
Cari (CrochetHooked)

About Me
My Shop
Website