Author Topic: download files  (Read 2987 times)

Offline mygrandpaspen

• Handcrafted Cards, Albums and More!
    • View Profile
    • MyGrandpasPen
download files
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:01:30 AM »
I haven't offered digital files for sale before but with the download capability of the new shop I'm definitely thinking about it.

What is the general process? Or is there a list of instructions somewhere that I missed. Once the customers purchase is the link sent automatically to them or do I need to email the appropriate file?

I'm thinking about offering .scut or .svg files - essentially what I use to cut my diecuts - I haven't because I don't have anything in place to send them easily to customers.

Thanks!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: download files
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:29:35 AM »
First of all the file type concerns me. Most downloads would be a pdf. Would your customers know about that file type, I researched it and see it is for a certain software. If that is the case we could try that file type. Basically when you list a product there is a button there for digital or nondigital, choose digital and a box will pop up so you can upload your file.

Once a customer buys they are sent an email with the download link, you do not have to do anything. :D

Back to the file type, is this file type common for what you do and would people be looking for it in this file type or would they be looking for a pdf.

The simple thing to do is a test product. Throw a quick one up for a small price and buy it from yourself. If you can download that file type you are good to go. Let me know I'll help.
Thanks,
Andrew

Offline mygrandpaspen

• View Profile
    • MyGrandpasPen
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »
The file type is common - if people are looking for cut files that is the type they need. There is a specific software that sends instructions to the die cut machine that I have - these are file types that work with it.

The size of the .scut files are generally quite small, less than 100 KB. Actually the .svg files seem to small too.

Great idea to do a test product - I'll do that.

Thanks!

Jeanine

Offline mygrandpaspen

• View Profile
    • MyGrandpasPen
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:28:34 AM »
So I tried setting up the product but it keeps changing it to a nondigital type - I

http://handmadeartistsshop.com/product-details/Paper/Books/Scrapbooking/Test%20product%20Playing%20card%20symbols%20diecut%20set%20SCUT%20file%20for%20cricut/?pid=20110524122356820dc

I haven't been able to get it to stay as a digital product.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - J

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:56:59 AM »
So I tried setting up the product but it keeps changing it to a nondigital type - I

http://handmadeartistsshop.com/product-details/Paper/Books/Scrapbooking/Test%20product%20Playing%20card%20symbols%20diecut%20set%20SCUT%20file%20for%20cricut/?pid=20110524122356820dc

I haven't been able to get it to stay as a digital product.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - J

What browser are you using? Would you consider emailing me a file so I can test? admin@handmadeartistsshop.com
Thanks,
Andrew

Offline mygrandpaspen

• View Profile
    • MyGrandpasPen
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »
I'm the explorer from windows 2007 - I can't figure out what version of explorer that is.

I'll email you a file - thanks!

Jeanine

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »
ok, just so you know IE9 has been doing some weird stuff. Try firefox. We are looking at IE but honestly and nothing to do with the shop but IE really sort of sucks. I'll wait for the file, but you may want to test in firefox.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »
I was able to upload it in firefox no issues, when I went to purchase the product it allowed me but did not send a download link and it did not register as a sale. I think it could be the file type. I put it on the list for our developers to check. This may be a situation where you might have to email the file due to file type, I'll let you know. I blocked the product for now in your shop so they can look at it.

Offline mygrandpaspen

• View Profile
    • MyGrandpasPen
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:21:01 PM »
Thanks Andrew - I got the transaction email - I'll cancel the sale unless you've already done that.

I'll look into the ie9/firefox - I appreciate you taking a look and like I said, there's no rush - I like the idea of being able to do the whole thing automatically especially since I'm away from easy internet for most of the summer.

J

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
I know anything digital I've ever bought online has always been a PDF. 

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:42 PM »
I have it on the list. I think the issue is the file type, but I 'll let the professionals figure it out. When you buy a regular pdf, you get a download link. When you click the link it opens up a webpage and you actually see the file and hit save. Now knowing that, I think it is trying to open the file and doesn't have the capability to do so since the software  is not on my server. If any of that makes sense. Now an option could be that instead of opening the file you get to a download screen or something like that. Or maybe a direct email with the file. I don't like the second option though. Because some files especially pdf's can get big and some email services have a file size limit. So when we built it we decided then not to go for emailing the file.

Anyway we'll just let the experts figure it out. Some things like this may just have to be an email by the vendor direct after purchase. Not sure

Offline mygrandpaspen

• View Profile
    • MyGrandpasPen
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 11:05:53 PM »
Sounds good and if it doesn't work out I'll delay in posting that sort of thing until the fall when I'm back to internet land...they have dialup out there but it's so slow...