Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1793846 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #1380 on: April 25, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »
Oh no!  I hope you can save it!  I have a couple errands and a whole lot around this house. 

Right now, though, I really just want to get through this skein of cashmere; I'm curious how much scarf length I'll get out of one ball.  It looks like it might be 1' to 1 ball, so for the length Eric wants, probably 7-8 balls of cashmere.  $136 in yarn for this sucker.  Plus tax.  Wow.

WOW!! That is going to be one expensive scarf.....

That's just supplies.  But that's how stores end up with these prices:  http://www.neimanmarcus.com/search.jsp?Ntt=cashmere&_requestid=17339&N=4294967285

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #1381 on: April 25, 2012, 04:00:31 PM »
Monika....I really want to see the new piece...but I will have to wait until I get home....our school district blocks all the photos!!

OK, have a look see, I will let you....tehehehe.....thanks girls. You dont know what forgotten grout can do. SO glad I was able to safe it. :D

Offline Dee38753

• Live life as if there was no tomorrow!
    • View Profile
    • Southern Country Creations
« Reply #1382 on: April 25, 2012, 05:42:39 PM »
Oh no!  I hope you can save it!  I have a couple errands and a whole lot around this house. 

Right now, though, I really just want to get through this skein of cashmere; I'm curious how much scarf length I'll get out of one ball.  It looks like it might be 1' to 1 ball, so for the length Eric wants, probably 7-8 balls of cashmere.  $136 in yarn for this sucker.  Plus tax.  Wow.

That's just supplies.  But that's how stores end up with these prices:  http://www.neimanmarcus.com/search.jsp?Ntt=cashmere&_requestid=17339&N=4294967285

Oh My GOSH!!! I guess that is why I don't own anything cashmere.... :o :o

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 25, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »
Monika that piece is stunning and I'm so glad you were able to save it...amazing all the things vinegar can do!

I used to have a really pretty cashmere sweater than Andrew washed and dried...now I have a cashmere barbie shirt!  Oh well, live and learn; at least he is willing to do laundry!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #1384 on: April 25, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
Funnny Kim...that happens to me to , way back when....LOL....but I did this myself....

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #1385 on: April 25, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »
I used to have a really pretty cashmere sweater than Andrew washed and dried...now I have a cashmere barbie shirt!  Oh well, live and learn; at least he is willing to do laundry!

Oh no!  That almost made me cry!

And yeah, Dee, this stuff's pricey.  It turns out that one $17 ball is 13" of scarf in this pattern.  So we're actually looking at 7 balls for $119, a little cheaper than I thought.  Then comes *my* cashmere scarf...   ;)

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »
Ah!  I haven't been here in forever!   :o  I've been knitting (baby booties, sweater, hat); teaching, running around  ;D  I miss you guys!  :)

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #1387 on: April 25, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
I know you are in NJ, how far from NYC are you.  I have seen yarn sales/closeouts here.  There is also a guy at a Sunday flea market who sells yarns that are used by a number of designers.  From my perspective, if I am going to buy a handmade scarf and spend some money on it, I don't want acrylic, I minimally want a nice wool. 

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #1388 on: April 25, 2012, 11:40:19 PM »
I know you are in NJ, how far from NYC are you.  I have seen yarn sales/closeouts here.  There is also a guy at a Sunday flea market who sells yarns that are used by a number of designers.  From my perspective, if I am going to buy a handmade scarf and spend some money on it, I don't want acrylic, I minimally want a nice wool. 

Makes sense, though I do have at least one friend who's severely allergic to wool, so she can only do acrylic or other fibers.

At any rate, I'm REALLY close to the city.  Basically 14 miles.  Which, of course, means at 3 in the morning on a weekday I can be in the city in 15-20 minutes.  In normal traffic, it's anything from 30-60 minutes or more.  The Lincoln Tunnel is closest to me.  Where's the flea market?

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #1389 on: April 26, 2012, 05:32:49 AM »
Good Morning everyone.....running errands this morning and the afternoon and eve is filled with rehearsals for duets, solo and choir practice..... :P

Have a wonderfull day, I will check in when I can.... :-*

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #1390 on: April 26, 2012, 06:15:01 AM »
I plan to go to Soho today to check out the various shops to figure out which ones I might approach to sell my jewelry.  I need sales so I can buy the many things I want from all your shops.  I just bought a belaying pin from a Handmade Artist for my brother-in-law's birthday.  Before this forum, I had no idea what a belaying pin was.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #1391 on: April 26, 2012, 11:18:21 AM »
I still don't know what a belaying pin is.

I'm glad you're going to SoHo, I think your jewelry would do REALLY well there.

I woke up later than intended today & have a lot of stuff to do to make this place somewhat presentable.  I have a client coming over tomorrow at noon to get body painted as a birthday cake.  She's then going to drive over to her husband - a party, maybe? - and surprise him for his birthday.  I'm not quite clear on if she's headed someplace to meet him privately or if this is a party situation or what.

Ah well, to each her own!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 26, 2012, 03:11:32 PM »
I still don't know what a belaying pin is.

I'm glad you're going to SoHo, I think your jewelry would do REALLY well there.

I woke up later than intended today & have a lot of stuff to do to make this place somewhat presentable.  I have a client coming over tomorrow at noon to get body painted as a birthday cake.  She's then going to drive over to her husband - a party, maybe? - and surprise him for his birthday.  I'm not quite clear on if she's headed someplace to meet him privately or if this is a party situation or what.

Ah well, to each her own!

Well, um, there is a gift I never would have thought of!  Maybe for Andrew's birthday you can paint me as a laptop?  Or a pile of rings?  Hmmmm, have to think about this a bit more!

Anyways, work today and a meeting tonight and a packed weekend ahead with scouts and softball.  In the hours in between I am just trying to get little things done but I keep getting distracted!  :-\   ADD?  Me?  Never!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 26, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
Chat starts in about 45 minutes. See ya there!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #1394 on: April 27, 2012, 05:07:20 AM »
Good morning everybody....I went to bed early, was so tired and then I wake up early....tsk..tsk....(sigh)

Know you are all loved..... :-*

Have to go see, what my kitties Alex and Samantha wish to work on today, that handmade stuff you know....Bwhaahahahahahahahaaaa....
(oh man, if it wasnt for my sense of humor)