Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1799136 times)

myeuropeantouch

Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #765 on: January 31, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »
Sorry about all the illness here and best wishes for those who job hunt....♥
I should be grouting, finished my old fashioned breadbox with a china mosaic and have a side table ready. But it is cold outside and that is not conducive to grouting....
SO I will be crochetting? hats for a breast cancer ward at a local Hospital for woman who lost their hair.
I must say, some of them I did already are so cute I wanna keep them....NOT....
Later....
Monika 

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #766 on: January 31, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
Trying to sort of get caught up on here.........................&
get few listings done.

Sandi - best wishes for mom & baby.  It truly amazes me what these Dr's can pull these little ones through.  But, still a stress I would not want to have to go through!
Larissa, you're looking for a job?
My brain is sort of in a jumble - so to all those that are sick and/or looking for a job - my best wishes for speady healing and the best job possible, quickly.
I got home 2 wks ago - haven't been feeling too great, but finally feeling a little better.
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #767 on: February 01, 2012, 02:15:01 AM »
Kris, I'm looking to leave law.

I spent a good part of today prepping a 5-minute "class" and handouts for tomorrow... I got an interview with the NYC Teaching Fellowship program and it's tomorrow!  It's no joke - FIVE HOURS.  I have to get there at 4 p.m., and it ends at 9:30 p.m.

It's got a math test, a discussion group about scenarios that can arise in a classroom, one-on-one interviews, and each applicant has to teach a five minute class to a group too.  And a writing sample part.  But I made it through the initial application section to the interview stage!

By September, I could be teaching special ed in the NYC school system.

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #768 on: February 01, 2012, 04:42:42 AM »

I spent a good part of today prepping a 5-minute "class" and handouts for tomorrow... I got an interview with the NYC Teaching Fellowship program and it's tomorrow!  It's no joke - FIVE HOURS.  I have to get there at 4 p.m., and it ends at 9:30 p.m.

It's got a math test, a discussion group about scenarios that can arise in a classroom, one-on-one interviews, and each applicant has to teach a five minute class to a group too.  And a writing sample part.  But I made it through the initial application section to the interview stage!

Before you teach in NYC, try to speak to some teachers.  The ones who I know have been complaining that in the past couple of years, the changes in class sizes and other education changes have meant that they spend more time on paperwork than teaching. 

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #769 on: February 01, 2012, 06:39:06 AM »
Good Morning..... :-*

hippiescreations

« Reply #770 on: February 01, 2012, 08:30:56 AM »
 :-\ Morning

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #771 on: February 01, 2012, 11:28:36 AM »

Before you teach in NYC, try to speak to some teachers.  The ones who I know have been complaining that in the past couple of years, the changes in class sizes and other education changes have meant that they spend more time on paperwork than teaching.

Oh, I know.  And probably more so in Special Ed.  I have friends in the field.  But it's the quickest, most direct way into teaching, I'd get a Masters out of it, and with Christie currently running NJ, it's not so easy to be a teacher here either.  Or get a job in the first place.

I simply don't have the money to just go back to school for a teaching degree right now.  And there's nothing else I want to do or would be qualified to do besides that and law... and if I spend too much longer as a lawyer, I'll curl up and die.

Offline mygrandpaspen

• Handcrafted Cards, Albums and More!
    • View Profile
    • MyGrandpasPen
« Reply #772 on: February 01, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
Hey all - it's been a long time since I was back here - far too much going on in life but I'd really like to get back to my HAF Shop - looks like things are still moving here :)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 01, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »

Oh, I know.  And probably more so in Special Ed.  I have friends in the field.  But it's the quickest, most direct way into teaching, I'd get a Masters out of it, and with Christie currently running NJ, it's not so easy to be a teacher here either.  Or get a job in the first place.

I simply don't have the money to just go back to school for a teaching degree right now.  And there's nothing else I want to do or would be qualified to do besides that and law... and if I spend too much longer as a lawyer, I'll curl up and die.
You are not kidding about teaching in NJ!  I have the degree and awards out the rear but couldn't get a job for over a year.  I finally quit looking and have changed direction and am much happier for it.  I may go back one day, but for now, there is plenty to keep me busy at home, websites, business and a small part time job with a friend.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #774 on: February 01, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »
Sorry it's been so hard, Kim.  If you still want to do it, wait 'til we get rid of the (I won't say it) governor and try again.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 01, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »
Sorry it's been so hard, Kim.  If you still want to do it, wait 'til we get rid of the (I won't say it) governor and try again.
Honestly it is for the best since I am a firm believer that what is supposed to happen will if you just do the next right thing.  I finished my degree more so that I could say "I really did it!" than to actually go out and teach.  I taught for a year and really got a reality smack in the face when it comes to the unions and administration.  I still sub when i feel like it, but I am really good at finding things to keep me busy and interested.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #776 on: February 01, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
Well... then... awesome!

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 01, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Good luck Larissa!  My uncle taught English (lit) at an inner city HS in NYC.

I really wanted to bake today but am out of sugar AND flour.   :police:

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #778 on: February 02, 2012, 12:53:55 AM »
Thanks!  I think it went well.  We shall see.

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #779 on: February 02, 2012, 01:23:21 AM »
Good luck Larissa!  My uncle taught English (lit) at an inner city HS in NYC.

I really wanted to bake today but am out of sugar AND flour.   :police:
Did you consider mud pies?