Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1780974 times)

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #525 on: September 04, 2011, 07:32:34 AM »

Finished my yard sale and got rid of a bunch of stuff and junk, I did real good on converting stuff I don't need into enough to get fire wood and get the chimney cleaned.
I had a free pile of stuff that was about five feet wide, three feet high and twenty feet long and most of it went away... I am so happy about that so I don't have to take it to the dump!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #526 on: September 04, 2011, 09:02:51 AM »
Congrats on your yard sale, Dragon!

I have been quiet for a while and I don't want anyone to think I don't still love and support HAF.  Here's how my days are going...

Get up at 6, stumble through a shower, then go to work 8-5.  From there, I go directly to our small rental house that need to be gutted to make it habitable for humans again (the previous occupant didn't vandalize it - they just NEVER cleaned, never mentioned there was a water leak, etc....)  Work on that until 10 or so, drive home, fall into bed, repeat.  The weekends are only slightly different...  we just spend 12-15 hours a day at the rental.

I am bone tired, and wondering why there aren't enough hours in the day.  Every now and then I steal a few minutes to work on my quilt or a doll, but it's only literally a few minutes here and there.  The most relaxing thing I've done in the past few weeks was HAF Chat last Thursday!

HAF rocks!  I'll be back to my old self in a couple of weeks as the light is one at the end of the rental tunnel!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 04, 2011, 06:22:03 PM »
Congrats on all that work accomplished Matt! It is always satisfying when it's done.

Oh Knit, I can't imagine-NEVER cleaning! Yuck! I've known people who are not GOOD cleaners, but at least an attempt was made. My MIL is one of those people. And a water leak on top of it.!Yikes, that just makes it 10 times worse! Glad to know you're almost done. Sometimes I think I wouldn't mind being a landlord, you know watching "Income Property" when it's all new and pretty. But then I hear stuff like this and it makes me cringe!

As for me, I have been cutting out doll clothes all day. I got a new pattern today and have been going through the scraps and laying out pajamas, coats, dresses, slippers,blankets, and pillows. After I get all this sewn, I will have a nice batch of clothes for 18" dolls to bring to the store. I'm debating about either buying a cheap knock off of American Girl dolls to model, or if I should just use one of my daughters American girls dolls. Of course I would ask her first since they are her dolls.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:27:49 PM by trusk4u »

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #528 on: September 05, 2011, 02:56:19 AM »
Knit, that all sounds quite dreadful.  Hope it is finished soon. 
I read what all of you have been doing and it drive home what a slug I have been.  Haven't made anything, taken pictures or listed anything.  Much to busy playing Scrabble online and walking around NY. 
Inspiration has deserted me, I hope it is temporary.  It would be great to have a work area where I could leave things out. 
Have fun on Labor Day everyone.  It is an official day of rest.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 05, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
Knit, that all sounds quite dreadful.  Hope it is finished soon. 
I read what all of you have been doing and it drive home what a slug I have been.  Haven't made anything, taken pictures or listed anything.  Much to busy playing Scrabble online and walking around NY. 
Inspiration has deserted me, I hope it is temporary.  It would be great to have a work area where I could leave things out. 
Have fun on Labor Day everyone.  It is an official day of rest.

You are not a slug! Sometimes one just needs to take a break and do nothing! I haven't been too inspired lately with jewelry design, so I turned to sewing for a bit. Maybe you need to try something else for a bit. Learn to knit, or doodle in a notebook. Whatever strikes you. That mental floss can prove to be very inspirational.

Offline StyleGraphicDesign

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 05, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »
I'm preparing some designs but it's Monday and the summer almost left and i'm trying to realize where i am at this moment! Have a great week ^-^

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 05, 2011, 07:54:31 PM »
Sounds like everyone is running a bit on empty!  As for me, working on orders and today I painted my office and will put the furniture back together tomorrow after getting off work at 12.  Also, get the boys stuff ready for the first day of school...which will also be a first day of break for me!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #532 on: September 05, 2011, 11:37:44 PM »
Matt, glad the sale went well for you.  I hate running yard sales.  Hate.  Eric and I had one just before we moved here, and we were actually passed a counterfeit $100 bill.  I cried at the bank when they told me, I was so angry.  And those vultures drive me crazy even without that.  It makes me really hate people.

Sandi, so sorry about the house.  That's horrible that the tenants left it like that for you.

And Teresa, I'm sorry the store was so slow.  I know what that's like and it'd deadly.

As for us, we spent the weekend busting our rear ends cleaning up around the house.  We've never really had it at 100% since we moved in.  My office/craft area is now the last place that still has boxes.  The rest is almost there.  Now that most rooms are so clean and neat, they look so empty!  We need to hang more pictures!  LOL

Also, I face painted today at a Labor Day party at a country club.  It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so muggy and I didn't wake up with a twinged nerve in my right neck/shoulder (I'm a righty).  It made painting tough and driving too, since I can barely turn my head to the left.  Not easy to merge onto highways that way.

On the plus side, I got on the Wii and did some Zumba this morning, and have decided to buckle down with really exercising every day.  Got plans for a yoga/strength setup tomorrow morning.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 06, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »
Saturday turned out to be a fairly busy day, so I am happy about that. Of course today it's raining like crazy so it's been very quiet. Had 1 customer, a regular so I'm grateful that I had at least 1 sale today. I gave the store a really good sweeping and made some new displays. So, when I get home I will be sewing more doll clothes. I'll have to remember to take pictures before I bring them to the store. I really hope they sell.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 07, 2011, 05:38:18 AM »
Finished painting my office and putting it back together!  I love it!  Grey/silver on the walls and all the trim is a yummy dark charcoal black.  Much brighter and clean now.  Next up, the bedroom

Offline Dragonclaw

• View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #535 on: September 07, 2011, 09:52:21 AM »
Larissa I'm sorry to hear of the bad hundred but as far as the vultures are concerned, I just consider it a game where the rules are they are trying to get something as chep as possible and I am trying to get as much for it as possible... When someone is haggling with me I flash back to the "wont haggle" scene in the movie "The Life of Brian" by the Monte Python crew ^-^
Kim the painting never seems to be done ...
I was replacing an old aluminium window in my house and fixing some dry rot and of course the rot was worse than hoped and the previous work was shoddy so I wound up doing much more than I intended... and trying to get a couple pieces of jewelry done each day for the show on the 17th

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 07, 2011, 12:04:31 PM »
Sounds awesome Kimberly! Very modern color scheme. It's amazing how a simple coat of paint changes everything.

Sorry about the window issues MAtt! Doesn't that just drive you nuts? Why is it so hard to fix it right in the first place?

We have a nice list of chores around the house, but they are best left until it's cooler outside. The big one is ripping out all the plantings in the the front of our house. It's so overgrown, full of weeds that will not be killed, that we have decided to start from scratch. I'm aching already just thinking about it.

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 07, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »
Oh Larissa I'm so sorry about the counterfeit bill :(  Just seeing my mom get things ready for garage sales has made me vow to never ever have one.  I would much rather pack all of my stuff and give it to goodwill instead of sell it :D  Easier and I can just leave it all in the door!  hehe

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #538 on: September 07, 2011, 08:03:44 PM »
Twenty shekels!

It's not so much the haggling I mind as the entitlement, thievery and pushiness.  I hate playing security.  And I hate people ordering me around, trying to insult me, trying to steal stuff inside or in between other stuff, or telling me what's what.  It makes me so angry, it's totally not worth it.

My mom owns a consignment shop - not clothes, it's all antiques, jewelry, pictures, occasional furniture, knicknacks, etc.  As a corollary to it, she runs estate and moving sales on the weekends.  I've helped her and now I refuse.  She offers to pay me and I still refuse.  Even when I was out of work, I said no.  I'll handle the worst divorce case with the most obnoxious adversary, high-maintenance client and unreasonable judge... and I'll be fine.  But make me work a garage sale and I want to commit murder.

Oh, Teresa, mentioning my mom's store reminds me, since you said you have regular customers.  My mom's store is chock full of stuff and she's got lots of regulars.  Every once in a while she'll just move everything around, rearrange where things are and how they're placed, and someone who's been in the store 100 times will suddenly see something that's been there for 2 months.  So just a suggestion for you.

And Kim, that color scheme sounds awesome.

Offline Dragonclaw

• View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #539 on: September 09, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »
wire wrapping like a madman...